Re: [holistichelping] Omidyar network winds up

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21, 2007
      Dear All,

      I met Eric via O/net, and directed a number of people to their Gulu conference, including Fred and Sam. I participated there as a member on some wonderful projects, including work on human trafficking, Darfur, and the Peace Tiles Project (www.peacetiles.net).

      I will be sorry to see it go. I do think the format for working together through that forum and medium ("threads" of conversation and topics), and for cross-linking people and projects, may have something to do with this decision, as I found personal challenges in this regard, and others may have as well.

      There is so much potential for those linked there to do wonderful projects and to continue to make a difference, and I hope working groups will indeed form to address certain topics and interests, such as development via the arts, ICTs, microcredit, and much more.

      I do not think the word "dysfunctional" is accurate: people did rally there to do invaluable things. The format (ie mechanics of participation and linkage) may have been more the issue. It seemed to function well for awhile, but the mechanics of linkage and working on projects may have made this format unsustainable.

      I do think, Andrius and all, that we need to address some issues pertaining to the mechanics of our own linkages and working together, to avoid a fracturing of our energies and common focus, and to enhance sustainability over the longer term. The experiences and example of O/net can help us to learn what works and what does not.

      With sadness for this loss, but hopes for a continuation of the good work and intentions O/net, MS, and all such endeavors encourage and promote. Blessings and best wishes, Janet