Who participates at Omidyar.net ?

  • minciusodas
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20 12:53 PM
      How many of us participate at Omidyar.net ? Omidyar.net is an
      online site for the Omidyar Network for empowering individuals. Fred
      Kayiwa represented us at their conference in northern Uganda.

      Today Omidyar.net announced that it will close. It's a surprise but
      typical of the abusive system of "philanthropic" relationships that
      I hope our Minciu Sodas laboratory is an alternative to. They have
      from the start captured a lot of attention with their resources,
      attention which I think was taken from people who are truly trying
      to get something done, however small it may be. They join a growing
      list of dysfunctional "big name" initiatives that weren't designed
      to embrace independent thinkers or to allow others to carry on after
      they fail. I think of http://www.bootstrap.org,
      http://www.thinkcycle.com, http://www.chaordic.org

      It's interesting that they have concluded that they should move to
      communities of narrower focus whereas we've had great success in
      looking more broadly to a culture of independent thinkers.

      They are asking their participants for input on migrating their
      community. I suppose it's unrealistic to ask them to consider
      joining our networks or to insist on basic values such as the Public
      Domain or clear personal leadership based on one's deepest values.
      But perhaps there are some there who would welcome the invitation to
      join us.

      If you are active there, please consider speaking up there and
      alerting them that everyone is welcome here at Minciu Sodas
      http://www.ms.lt and our Worknets groups http://www.worknets.org
      Tell them what we've been accomplishing. Your invitation means a
      lot! Perhaps they will be happy here.

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania

      http://www.omidyar.net/group/community-general/news/1924/

      The end of omidyar.net: creating new communitiesPosted to:
      Community - General by Thomas Kriese (2135), Wed, 18 Jul 2007
      08:59:19 PDT
      Edited: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:13:28 PDT
      Feedback score: 182 (* * * * * * * * * *) +|-
      Tags: +insightful5 +interesting6 the-end transition
      Comments: 299 by 65 members
      Viewed: 4806 times by 159 members

      In Spring 2004, Omidyar Network created a set of collaborative tools
      to facilitate our work as an organization. We found it useful, and a
      few months later in July 2004, we opened up access to the tool set
      to anyone and everyone working toward making the world a better
      place.

      We chose the approach of a self-managed community in the hope people
      would find shared interests and discover their power to make good
      things happen. Indeed, in the three years since we opened the
      omidyar.net tool for external use, thousands of members have met,
      posted, discussed and collaborated in the many groups and
      discussions and workspace pages on omidyar.net. And while the
      connections may have been made here, the positive impact has spread
      to many other online communities as well as real world communities
      across the globe. Through several experimental and experiential
      collaborative funding projects, the omidyar.net community has
      directed thousands of dollars to organizations making good things
      happen around the world.

      This summer, instead of deciding where to direct funding,
      omidyar.net members will decide how to migrate to other community
      platforms.

      We strongly believe in the power of community-based efforts, and we
      feel the best way Omidyar Network can continue facilitating the kind
      of work that's being done both within and through omidyar.net is to
      empower communities online that are more narrowly focused on
      specific interests and moderated in a style of their own preference.
      One of the things we've learned over the last three years is that
      self-managed communities can work. Given the tools and the space in
      which to use them, the community can and will manage itself and keep
      things running with little to no oversight. We've also learned that
      communities are all about the people, not the platform, and that's
      informed our decision for moving forward.

      The Road Ahead Taking a cue from past collaborative decision-making
      projects, we want to help facilitate this community's decision on
      how to move forward. To that end, we'll be setting a process by
      which the community elects a board made up of community members to
      make decisions on behalf of the community through this transition
      period:

      July 19: Omidyar Network creates a new group called Transition
      focused specifically on this decision-making process. The elections
      process for members to begin selecting board members begins.
      Aug 3 - 7: Elections for the board via a poll in the Transition
      group.
      Aug 7: Board convenes under Robert's Rules of Order (link to
      Wikipedia entry) to begin making the decisions related to how and
      where omidyar.net community members will continue their good work. A
      partial list of the decisions to be made is included in the section
      below.
      Sep 7: All interactive features of the omidyar.net platform will be
      removed.
      Sep 7 - Dec 31: Visitors to omidyar.net will be able to access the
      content, but they'll also be referred to the new community spaces as
      chosen by the elected board. All the content that's been created
      through September 7 will be archived, in place. Tools to enable
      omidyar.net members to easily download all their own content will
      remain available through the end of the year.
      Dec 31, 2007: The content of omidyar.net will be removed from public
      access.
      The good works of this community will live on after the omidyar.net
      platform is archived, but how and where it lives on is up to you,
      the members of the community to decide.
      Board Election ProcessWho can be on the board? Any omidyar.net
      member can be nominated to be a member of the community board.
      Who can vote for the board? To vote for the members of the board, a
      member must meet the following eligibility qualifications as of July
      14, 2007:
      added a name (real or pseudonym) to their profile page
      been a member of omidyar.net for six months
      signed on in the last sixty (60) days.

      The list of eligible voters can be found on this eligible voters
      page.
      How's the board selected? After the vote, the top five vote-getting
      members will be recognized as the board and will make decisions on
      behalf of the community.
      What does the board do? Under Robert's Rules of Order, the board
      chooses a Chair and then begins tackling the decisions related to
      transitioning to new platforms.
      Decisions the Board Will Need to MakeWhether the omidyar.net
      community moves to one or to many new platforms, the board will need
      to decide at least the following (note: this is just a partial list):
      how to consider community input in decision-making processes
      how to identify groups within omidyar.net that will become new
      communities or join existing ones elsewhere
      where to move (selecting a new name, choosing a platform, acquiring
      hosting, etc.)
      how to pay for the costs of running new communities (if there are
      any)
      where the omidyar.net home page will direct visitors once the
      content is archived on September 7, 2007.

      ---------------------
      On a personal note, it's been an honor and a pleasure for Haney and
      me to be a part of the community with you all over the last three
      years. We've met people here that have helped us think, plan and act
      in ways that have made us better for our interactions. We hope, in
      some small way, that others have benefited from our interactions in
      similar ways.
      The next few months present a great opportunity to find ways to
      amplify the good works started via the omidyar.net community. How
      this happens is ultimately up to you, but we look forward to
      participating in new communities with you on the other side of this
      process.
      [note: edited this on 7/19 to add links to new Transition group]
    • Jeff Buderer
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20 10:55 PM

      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 20 10:55 PM
        • samuel kongere
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 23 2:00 AM
            Thanks Willy,
            The time has not run out for us but I am happy with the requirements, i am hoping to be in Nairobi on the 1st week of September to meet Pam and David. I suppose to get the pics there. Plan for that. I have decided to use other methods for the video upload.

            I can smile now that my computer is fully repaired and I can now log in.
            I am working all possibilities but i am In financial constraints after computer repairs. This Has made me to postponed some missions I had for July. Let me configure everything later.
            Sam.

            MBITA  040305-KENYA.
            Cell: +254 725 600 439