Re: SPAM-LOW: [minciu_sodas_en] How might Samwel in Kenya help with our projects?

  • Jeff Buderer
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 10, 2006
      Andrius,

      Thanks for the offer. I do think you have put forward a good plan. My
      suggestion would be to work with Samwell in moving forward on his plan
      for a learning center. Seeing the value created from his work as
      potentially usable for our other community development related projects.

      I think we should keep the focus on developing a community center that
      could possibly at one point morph into a fully featured ecovillage for
      Mbita. This is also the sort of groundwork we (OVF) did with Kennedy
      Onyango when he was director of OVF Kenya in 2004 (Kennedy just
      introduced himself to the Global Villages group). I would suggest that
      our work in trying to create a Unity Center in Mbita then, could also be
      considered in regards to this potential initiative. Possibly since both
      Samwel and Kennedy are in Mbita Kenya, they could work together on this
      project. This is something that Samwel could consider. I am not sure if
      he knows Kennedy personally or is aware of his previous work.

      Jeff

    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
        Dear Jeff, Andrius, and all,

        I have the pleasure to inform you that I am Kenyan Citizen and living in mbita. I am working in more trans-sectional community information and technology improvement in mbita and Rusinga Island. I am working with Rusinga Island Youth development forum initiative(RIYDFI). I am an FOSS activist.

        I also wish to tell members that I know Ken Onyango and I am ready to work with Jeff in the community multi-Learning Center.This Is a project we wish to explore many thoughts on ECO VILLAGE ideas .

        Jeff go ahead and have us plan for this and you can have the plan proposal for the Mult-learning center.

        Thanks,
        SAM

        Kulikauskas wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > Samwel: Can i email him now
        >
        > Andrius: yes
        >
        > Samwel: good
        >
        > Andrius: Also, for our lab, it would be helpful if you wrote
        > more about your question, "How I can find for Myself and live
        > Comfortably while helping others?" What are you learning about that?
        >
        > Samwel: are you prepared to send me the amount sooner
        >
        > Andrius: no
        >
        > Samwel: thanks
        >
        > Andrius: first you'll have to structure a project with
        > somebody. That may be hard!
        >
        > Samwel: Ok I will go ahead and see what to do and proceed
        >
        > Andrius: ok
        >
        > Samwel: i am sending mails to the and you can as well send some
        > info about me for those you think can be happy working with me
        >
        > Andrius: ok :: thank you for chatting with me! :: and
        > thank you for your work for our lab!
        >
        > Samwel: thanks can you tell janet About this?

      • Derick Odemba
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
          Hi Samuel,

          Please keep me more posted on this.I think you are
          doing a splendid work

          Derick

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • masimba biriwasha
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
            Dear Andrius,

            In reference to the discussion below, I just want to
            find out whwther Nikos Salingaros will be interested
            in doing some write up on Zimbabwe.

            We have interesting (weell sad) developments over the
            past two years with regards housing for the poor.

            Government, last year, demolished all the shanties in
            the urban areas of Zimbabwe, leaving over 700,000
            people homeless. The argument of government was that
            it wanted to make housing livable for the poor.

            Now, they are in the process of constructing low-cost
            housing for the poor.

            The level of the destruction of shanties is
            incidentally the biggest in the world.

            If Nikos is interested on more information, I need to
            know what exactly he is looking for, otherwise
            Zimbabwe makes an interesting case in this respect.

            Thank You

            God Bless

            Masimba Biriwasha

            > Andrius: Another topic to work on is helping Nikos
            Salingaros,> he is writing a paper on how to make
            social housing livable.

            > Samwel: i had such information in my interview
            >
            > Andrius: Yes, very good. :: Do you have housing for
            the
            > poor in Kenya?
            >
            > Samwel: Ihave seen such
            >
            > Andrius: One thing to study is how poor people live
            in slums
            > and in state housing.

            I have a strong feeling that every person owes it to him/herself, and to the cause which he is serving to keep their body strong and healthy, for better or worse, for disappointments and for trying positions.

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Derick Odemba
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
              Dear all,

              I hope this finds you all well.For those who do not
              know me, my name is Derick Odemba, a kenyan national
              working in Mozambique as a volunteer with
              VSO(Voluntary Service Overseas). Specifically I work
              for Ministry of Education in an ICT project that
              provides ICT services and solutions to the educational
              sector in Mozambique. I work as ICT Trainer and
              Adviser. Above all I am a FOSS enthusiast and I
              deliver training on the same.

              Back in kenya I come from mbita where Samuel comes
              from. I personally know Sam,whom I met at the Africa
              Source II in Uganda early this year.I think i have
              also communicated with kennedy on email once before. I
              believe there's so much I can offer to the proposed
              project in mbita in particular and the group in
              general.

              Sam and Kennedy, i hope to see you soon when I come
              home.

              Cheers

              Derick

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/R0DZdC/gOaOAA/E2hLAA/ok9qlB/TM

              http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/TheResourceToolshed/HolisticHelping

              > Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the
              > Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN
              > unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you!
              > http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Jeff Buderer
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
                Sam,

                I am preceeding here in terms of offering suggestions about how it might
                be best to proceed in terms of how best to organize your effort in a
                effective way (this is not to say that I actually do it this way but
                that I would probably be more successful if I did). Regardless there
                needs to be some process of planning. In many cases the pattern I see is
                that groups simply throw together a proposal. Increasingly I seeing this
                as an ineffective as many questions need to be asked and discussed
                before any work is done on a prospoal. In any project there should be a
                starting point and series of steps to get there in terms of making
                decisions about how and when to start and why. I there needs to be a
                workflow process organized BEFORE any proposals are put together. This
                includes asking every question you can imagine in terms of developing a
                realistic proposal to set up your project. I am by no means an expert on
                this and by no means should the below be taken to be the LAW of writing
                proposal (just a potential example):

                - Who is going to be involved and at what levels?
                - What are the goals to be considered in this project?
                - What is the region of intervention and will or can it be expanded? and
                how?
                - What is the plan for sustainability in terms of organizational,
                financial and social/community considerations?
                - How could and should the project be scaled or phased...considering
                various scenarios.
                - Consider the key deliverables and task to complete and a realistic
                timeline to complete them (including the phasing of a process to answer
                these questions to start)
                - Write a compelling summary statement about the project that suits you
                needs and aspirations as well as the community needs.
                - Consider various options for funding and begin research (who will do
                this and when will it start and be completed. then how will it be
                incorporated into the project planning).
                - Site location (what possible sites are there how will this be decided
                and when will the site selection process be initiated and a final
                decision made)
                - What about the parnters?
                - Organizational documentation (are you part of a registered org and is
                it a fully accredited NGO or a CBO? if not you need to register one or
                get one to support your work). All this needs to be properly documented
                in a template/format that is familar to foundations.

                Sam, I will do my best to help in developing a workable plan to get this
                project moving and I know others here want to help but utlimately it
                will be in your hands.

                Kennedy is quite well versed not only in this process but also the key
                ecovillage concepts. He also was one of the key people that enabled
                GRASSUP to be funded in 2004.

                I suggest you and Kennedy and the rest of your team make a list similar
                to the one above and then also develop a process for making decisions as
                the process evolves (possibly you have done this already). You also need
                to come up with a values statement that should govern the process and
                help keep the focus from beginning to end. This deliberative group could
                be the board of directors itself or a implementation group of
                organizational officers that reports to the board. It might be a good
                idea to proceed step by step down the list of things after prioritizing
                the proposal development tasks. Once all the information is collected
                you can then put together the proposal and supporting documents and then
                take the steps to promote your project to relevant groups.

                Jeff

                > Dear Jeff, Andrius, and all,
                >
                > I have the pleasure to inform you that I am Kenyan Citizen and living
                > in mbita. I am working in more trans-sectional community information
                > and technology improvement in mbita and Rusinga Island. I am working
                > with Rusinga Island Youth development forum initiative(RIYDFI). I am
                > an FOSS activist.
                >
                > I also wish to tell members that I know Ken Onyango and I am ready to
                > work with Jeff in the community multi-Learning Center.This Is a
                > project we wish to explore many thoughts on ECO VILLAGE ideas .
                >

                > Jeff go ahead and have us plan for this and you can have the plan
                > proposal for the Mult-learning center.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > SAM
                >
                > *//*
              • samuel kongere
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                  Dear JEFF, JANET, ANDRIUS AND ALL,

                  First I must say that through this group I have got much more information and people are very eager in our group to see that we succeed in Mbita.Great...haha!, this is what we have been looking for and those combrades who were with me at the Africa Source II are grateful friends......And having them here is very much pleasure to me, they are making this forum active and lively.

                  I am not trying to swift thoughts but trying to say that having a project envisioned for Mbita is great to me and the community that I serve. Janet I say that having the proposal copy given to Jeff through you is a great thought and I will see that the idea that I have is taken care of at the forum of exchange of thoughts. Jeff, I must say the propject I dea which I had before since 1996 to date is the idea I am putting forward.

                  ......And saying so together with Janet and the rest is great having Mbita as the resourceful area in the rural and spilling to different parts of Kenya through one Initiative with a base in Mbita. I say some people here are having projects and diviating from the theme of a better learned community. Statistics show we are going back in Education Standards compared to the time we had independence. Having a learning Center In Mbita is vital to the fishing community.

                  I therefore will release the budget when there a serious team to make the idea drive to it's climax. We can have phases yes! and the first is to have a one focal point with computers and internet access then move on and on.......I need initial fund or somebody to give computers as a fast technology step for Open sourcse software campaign.

                  I hope to your commets JEFF when the copy of the propoasal is with you !!!!!!!

                  Regards,
                  Samwel

                  Do you Yahoo!?

                • lucas.gonzalez@canarias.org
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                    Sam and all,

                    The linux user group where I'm active (on-and-off) here in the Canaries has about 200 recyclable computers and more may be coming; I don't know how useable they are. I guess the same happens in other places. I don't know how new-old those computers are, but I know my computer knowledgeable friends are mostly finishing their exams and some will probably be available to help. Help could be in the form of computer and/or know-how. A maths teacher here helped a nun in mainland Spain set up a computer lab at her school - tele-maintenance has continued and all she has to do is replace an old computer every now and then (placing another old computer in its place).

                    I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm not at all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever. I looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly useful, but might try again.

                    I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to "local reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments about this on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in this regard. Resilience.

                    I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or Henry Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's active (I know because I'm still subscribed).

                    Lucas
                  • Jeff Buderer
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                      Lucas,.

                      Franz's comments when put together are a cautionary tale for us. Kenya
                      is not Spain for one thing....You dont have a lot of the infrastructure
                      that Spain has in Africa and so maintaining a center becomes a lot more
                      challenging.

                      There's a whole economy/industry dedicated to used computers. I am not
                      going to say I am well acqiainted with this but it is my understanding
                      that it is best to ship these in bulk if you are going to do it
                      yourself. It does not make sense to ship small quantities of used
                      computers or even new ones to Africa. So we are talking really about the
                      need to set up a distribution system and so the costs for shipping and
                      moving them and if needed refurbishing them and installing software in
                      them also need to be considered. Groups like Computer Aid provide the
                      computers at relatively low cost.

                      In terms of any project to ship 200 computers over there would be
                      several things to consider:
                      - Project sustainability - You want to make sure the computers are
                      properly utilized and go to their desired locations.
                      - Network development - With that many computers you would need a whole
                      network of centers and so each one need to address the sustainability issue.
                      - Ecological sustainability - Should we think of what is going to done
                      with this computers when they break and can no longer be used? As more
                      computers get sent over the Africa this may become more of an issue.
                      - Condition of Computers - Those 200 computers need to be inventoried
                      and what about upgrades, repairs and software installs.
                      - Shipping details - A portion of a shipping container would need to
                      purchased to ship these over and so research needs to be done to find
                      the details about this process
                      - Project documentation -It would be good to document every step well so
                      that others following these steps would not have to reinvent the wheel
                      so to speak. Maybe the documentation could be posted onto the wiki.

                      So then the key thing - if we would actually decide to move on this -
                      would be to sequence this as part of a larger proposal such as the one
                      which I discussed with Sam in the other email thread. My view is that I
                      would need to see certain sets of information about the specific centers
                      these computers would go into and a demonstration of sustainability
                      before I would do much work on this proposal. Or that this proposal
                      would complement a more generalized and comprehensive funding plan.

                      The point is that it does not make a great deal of sense to put a great
                      effort to ship a bunch of computers into Kenya until and unless you
                      have a concrete program or series of programs to direct the computers
                      to. Possibly GRASSUP could form the backbone of this network? Still my
                      concern would be that there needs to be computers and cash to properly
                      fund these centers and trained staff to maintain and staff them.

                      So then Lucas if we can spare some computers why cant we spare some cash
                      to make sure they are used properly? A fundraising effort might be a
                      great complement to this campaign to collect, process and then ship
                      these computers to Africa to fund the centers as well as more
                      ambitiously a capacity building program.

                      Jeff

                      gonzalez@... wrote:

                      > Sam and all,
                      >
                      > The linux user group where I'm active (on-and-off) here in the
                      > Canaries has about 200 recyclable computers and more may be coming; I
                      > don't know how useable they are. I guess the same happens in other
                      > places. I don't know how new-old those computers are, but I know my
                      > computer knowledgeable friends are mostly finishing their exams and
                      > some will probably be available to help. Help could be in the form of
                      > computer and/or know-how. A maths teacher here helped a nun in
                      > mainland Spain set up a computer lab at her school - tele-maintenance
                      > has continued and all she has to do is replace an old computer every
                      > now and then (placing another old computer in its place).
                      >
                      > I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm not at
                      > all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some
                      > affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever. I
                      > looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly useful,
                      > but might try again.
                      >
                      > I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to "local
                      > reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments about this
                      > on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in this
                      > regard. Resilience.
                      >
                      > I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or Henry
                      > Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's active (I
                      > know because I'm still subscribed).
                      >
                      > Lucas

                    • Jeff Buderer
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                        Lucas,.

                        Franz's comments regarding the project he tried to help (in was it
                        Cameroon?) when put together are a cautionary tale for us. Kenya is not

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                          Jeff and all,

                          It looks like the plot thickens; i.e., we need to take many factors into consideration, and we're doing just that.

                          Now I see why you want to document the process on wikipages, create the big picture with all the details before moving too fast, and outreaching to others who are good at specific things (e.g. moving computers around). Please consider Linux User Groups (and probably ours specifically) as a probable asset in this regard, as a source of "refurbished oldish computers with a mission". You're on your way to providing a clear picture of "the mission". We need to get in touch with people good at moving computers around, and some fund-raising. Yes, it does start to look like a wikipage. A bit like one of those "I'll pay if you pay" pledges, in the making.

                          I can help with our local LUG, if that's seen to be helpful. As I said, my geek friends are finishing their exams and soon we'll be able to know how many computers, how old, how useful, etc. And, if I may insist, there's a LUG in Kenya:
                          * http://www.linux.org/groups/kenya.html

                        • samuel kongere
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 25, 2006
                            Dear Jeff, Lucas, Andrius, Janet and All,

                            I presume we are doing the right job for mbita and wish to join the global limelight concerning information and technology. We are very much impressed with the different comments the people in our lab are taking to see that a combined effort is put to have Mbita in the global limelight and this is very suitable for marketing and hence community development as a whole.

                            We are working together with Ken to see things are in place for the proposals made. Our hope as always is to see that we become the next global village with the ICT service deemed for international development, it is an excellent conference to see people wonder on how to help the less previleged in the globe. It was exciting and very interesting. The good thing about it, was that all the pieces  of mind were there to bring thinking together in  technology unity development, the packed programme, the people from all over. It built a sense of community that has not happened before. We really treasure the thoughts brought in by Lucas and we are looking forward to see the thought come true when we indulge in global sharing.

                            Somebody tells me Africa information revolution is wireless and this tells me that Local social information network has no boundary and this is why when people give information and hope to compare development is good in our lab. The question is, are we able to get funds to finalise our dream in Mbita? Or are we on the oughing that things are talked and never reach compromises? Think loud as we are independent thinkers. Is there anybody against the wish of many? We better concentrate and do one project and ride on to see the sense of the forum discussion.

                            Helmut

                             I wish you will come clear I am preparing the mail for the project we are running together with you and Andrius. Be specific as the base line survey is near completion and your proWiki version in English should be received to make me have the full details. I am always thinking loud and this is what makes the man ou of me.

                            Andrius

                            I am very much happy to receive your short notes and i am much hoping to succeed, I am about to be through with the drawing of the map and you know much of my efforts are lost when I walk 10 km to write reports, I just wanted a bit more value to help me have portable laptop which can be used anywhere when work is on, I will contact you for away out.

                            Janet

                            I am through with the form and sent it to Caroline, I am still waiting to get her reply for the completed form. We are going to work with Ken In Grass up Now, I wanted to meet James and Francis when they came to Mbita, we missed one another, haha! I wanted to know if I can help you as one of your secretaries doing something as Andrius had suggested for me. I not very committed now that i am doing part time work for CCF here. There is also good news that electricity is now here and having computers here is paramount and destined to succeed may be putting the said project in the proposal  to be in Phases, we can divide the Idea in phases as you suggested.

                            Jeff

                            I believe by now you have received my proposal copy from Janet but I can still send it accross to you today I hope you get it and Advice for implementation. When I was writing it, we never had power but now there is electricity and putting the project here is well felt.

                            Thanks to all willing to see that we succeed in the Idea of Eco Village learning center.

                            From
                            Samwel

                            * http://groups. yahoo.com/ search?query= kenya+linux& submit=Search (4 groups)
                            * http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/kenyalinux / (the one I'm subscribed at, 222 members)

> [...]

                            > > I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm
                            > not at
                            > > all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some
                            > > affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever.
                            > > looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly
                            > useful,
                            > > but might try again.
                            > >
                            > > I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to
                            > "local
                            > > reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments
                            > about this
                            > > on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in
                            > this
                            > > regard. Resilience.
                            > >
                            > > I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or
                            > Henry
                            > > Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's

                            MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                            Cell: +254 725 600 439
                            Computer specielist
                            Community Development

                            Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much more to come.

                          • Jeff Buderer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 3, 2006
                              Masimba,

                              Thought the links below might be of interest to you:

                              Changemakers.org is now accepting applications for a contest on low cost
                              housing http://www.changemakers.net/journal/300606/

                              Paul Cohen <http://www.ashoka.org/fellows/viewprofile3.cfm?reid=97498>
                              an Ashoka fellow has been pioneering low cost building technologies in
                              South Africa.

                              Keep in touch.

                              Jeff Buderer
                              oneVillage Foundation