Water Purification

  • subscribe@studynook.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 6, 2007
      I would like to start a discussion on possibilities of water purification methods in Africa. If you could send us your working methods or ideas I would appreciate it.
      Thank You.

      Asif

      DISCLAIMER:
      This email is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. In this case, please reply to this email to highlight the error. Opinions and information in this email that do not relate to the official business of the company of this e-mail account  shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by the company.

      We have taken steps to ensure that this email and any attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check that the email and its attachments are actually virus free. This is in keeping with good computing practice.

    • Kennedy Owino
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 26, 2009
        Hi Sam, Tom and all,

        I have realised a new trend of purifying water in Kibera slums.
        I have also joined the long list of people purifying water using solar.
        It is quite easy and nominally cheap-absolutely costless i would say.

        It involves keeping water in a 5lt (whatever size you choose) water bottle that has been painted black.
        The water bottle is left in the iron sheet roofs for some hours.
        The water undergoes purification using the sun’s rays through a technique known as solar water disinfection process (Sodis).

        It is an open secret that tap water  and water bought from water vendors in the slum is contaminated with sewage.

        After hours under the sun, the water is safe for drinking.

        This water purification process involves simply exposing the liquid to the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays. In just hours, the UV radiation from the sun’s rays will have killed the micro-organisms in the water.

        I think this is a phenomenon worth being adopted by the rural communities where diarrohea, cholera or water borne diseases is commn place.

        Peace,

        Ken Owino
        Nafsi Africa Acrobats
        www.nafsiafrica.org