Art & livelihood: Who might we video bridge with on this Tuesday?

  • ms@ms.lt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2007
      Two days ago I was in Varena, Lithuania where I briefly visited Algirdas
      Juskevicius, a sculptor, wood carver and folk artist who leads the Varena
      Tourism and Business Information Center http://www.varenainfo.net See also
      his website http://www.gamtosbaldai.net on the furniture that he makes from
      tree roots.

      His center has a room with a projector and everything we need to have a video
      bridge using Skype. So indeed we quickly set it up and tried it out with Eric
      Britton of Paris, France http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?EricBritton with
      whom I spoke about his deepest value, investigatory question and his interest
      in helping people to restructure cities to improve transportation. He will be
      in Chicago at the end of July and he looks forward to meet people from our
      network, but especially who might be interested in original solutions to
      transportation.

      Tuesday I am planning a video bridge from Varena to help Algirdas Juskevicius
      pursue his question: How can I find for myself and others activities where we
      could work creatively and also secure income to make a living? This is
      important for him both as an artist and also as the leader of the tourism and
      business center because other creative people also face this question.

      Who might video bridge with us this coming Tuesday, July 10th, 14:00 - 16:00
      Lithuania time (12:00 - 14:00 in London or 7:00 - 9:00 New York) or some
      portion of that time? We would simply be using Skype Video so all you need
      is a web cam and Skype for Windows or Mac http://www.skype.com Some people I
      have in mind:
      * Franz Steinwender in Kirchbach, Austria http://www.kb5.at is a graphic
      designer, inventor, global villager
      * Synnove Mathe is a video artist (yes?) and organizes artists
      * Markus Petz is organizing artists and art festivals
      * Janet Feldman leads ActALIVE for artists addressing AIDS and related
      issues
      * Waclaw Izdek is an expert on thematic villages, another topic of interest
      for Algirdas, and the two met not long ago in Poland
      * Franz Nahrada, our ever abundant source of ideas...

      We don't have much time until Tuesday so please let us know if you might!
      These are simply informal explorations and a chance to get to know each other
      better and think of ideas for the future.

      Also, our plan is that from 16:00 - 17:00 Lithuania time our youth from
      Pavilnys would experiment with the video bridge capability and would
      improvise a play, perhaps around the concept "Pavilnys Television", what that
      might look like. We'd love to engage you, please let us know if you are
      available!

      Also I will add that, thanks to Raimundas Vaitkevicius, I had a very nice
      meeting with Danguole Rutkauskiene, Gytis Cibulskis and Petras Tamosiunas of
      the Kaunas Technology University Distance Learning Center
      http://distance.ktu.lt They have I think the most developed program in
      Lithuania with what looks like a television studio in Kaunas and also 60
      video bridge locations throughout Lithuania. And they are also active in
      leading the public Internet access system http://www.vipt.lt which has about
      1,000 access points in Lithuania. They are very interested how we might
      organize Minciu Sodas activities around such bases. I forgot to mention this
      in my letter to Dante. It would be great if he might travel around Lithuania
      to check out the interest at different locations. I will be doing likewise.

      +370 (699) 30003
      Kaunas, Lithuania
      visiting Raimundas Vaitkevicius