Funds for telecentre implementation/Sam-Tom-Pam-David-others?

  • samuel kongere
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2007
      OK Jeff and Janet,

      I have been overtaken by events and following up seriously. I am happy to read this piece we can do a multi purpose telecenter for Mbita or Kibera. Give connections and we can allow an idea to sale through great!
      \Sam

      Jeff Buderer <jeff@...> wrote:
      Thanks Janet for keeping the momentum going.
      I am looking for convergence with Kenya network in particular because that is an area of focus for OVF. Previously there was some interest in setting up a center in Nairobi and of course I noted my desire to donate my MyFoodStory money to such an endeavor. It would be great if this could be supportive of a convergent effort among our various groups and networks in Nairobi but also consider Samwel’s work in Mbita area also.
       If we can further develop a plan for following up on the recent activity with a practical plan to develop one or several centers in Kenya then I can consider the possibility of asking a colleague who has many years of corporate ICT experience to work with us to develop a proposal she had already planned to submit to HIVOS foundation focusing on ICT4D. However she then realized that it was only for Kenya and she does not have anyone in Kenya she could move forward with us on this.
      The fact is considerable thought and time has been invested in OVF’s effort over the plan for the development of Multipurpose Community & Unity Centers and that the fund for telecenter implementation fits well with what we have been planning in the development of these centers. The idea of Open Digital Villages the first of which is currently in development in Kenya is that it helps to germinate the seed of sustainable development that will leads to the more comprehensive Multipurpose Center approach which it seems the Open Architecture Challenge is all about.
      This could be a way to incorporate recent work in MS network to develop a proposal that could focus on developing such centers in several regions of interest to us in this group.
      Jeff
      From: Esther Nasikye <nasikye@ugabytes. org>
      Date: 27-Jun-2007 12:59
      To: tc-mena@dgroups. org, ugabytes@ugabytes. org

      Hi all,
      Here is an opportunity for a community or organisation to win $250,000 for
      the implemention of an innovative and sustainable telecentre solution.

      The Open Architecture Challenge is an open international design
      competition that reaches beyond the traditional bounds of architecture by
      challenging industry professionals and others to develop innovative and
      sustainable solutions to improve living conditions around the world.
      Every two years this initiative will tackle a different systemic issue
      faced by half the world's population that is living on less than $2 a day.

      Open Architecture Challenge is currently in the process of inviting local
      organizations in communities that lack connectivity and would benefit from
      a technology center or telecentre. This initiative will provide up to
      $250,000 for the implementation of the selected winning design.
      If you are an organization that is interested in becoming the recipient of
      such a facility and would like to partner on this initiative please find
      details in the link below.

      Deadline: July 20 2007

      The challenge is organized by Architecture for Humanity and Advanced Micro
      Devices (AMD)

      Details are available here
      http://community. telecentre. org/en-tc/ node/36142

      Cheers