Response to Andrius-Helmut-Sam: creating online learning tools will be excellent!

  • kaippg@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2006
      Dear Helmut, Andrius, Sam, and All,

      What terrific ideas!! What you propose would be very much in keeping with Sam's own needs, and those of his community (as well as others in Kenya and Africa). So by helping you, he can also help himself and others (the definition of holistic helping!). Local-language translations, wikis, an online learning environment--which can be abt FOSS, bird flu, HIV/AIDS, income-generation--and outreach to schools and teachers will be excellent.

      Andrius, great ideas on Jeff and Pam! This would be a good way to focus our group interest on distance learning.  I hope OneWorld (www.oneworld.net), to whom I have connected Sam, will also provide some capacity-building. I have been helping Sam edit his proposal on proposed development of learning centers, which will in part be used for a crafts income-generation project, so that fits in perfectly with the ideas being discussed.

      Funds would be greatly welcomed, and/or a donation of computer equipment. I know of an org in Kenya, Interactive Learning Networks, working with the World Computer Exchange to project computers, instruction, and connective services to schools and learning centers, so this might be useful as a place to get machines and some capacity-building.

      There is also WiRED International (www.wiredinternational.org), which I have contacted here in the USA, and w/which I have a good connection in Kisumu, Kenya. Their specialty is health centers, and helping people with disabilities to access health info. This might be useful not only generally but w/regard to the bird flu issues and education we have been discussing.

      In a close link to some of this activity, myself and others of GRASSUP NOW in Kenya--an ICTs/ODL project sponsored by The Commonwealth of Learning (www.col.org) --have been discussing Phase 2 of that project, which will help to deliver, via distance learning, subject matter related to nutrition and agriculture, health, environmental education, and income-generation. We can certainly learn from what is happening in these forums, and have much to contribute. At some point, Sam in Mbita, Henry and others might be linked to GRASSUP too.

      With all best wishes and appreciation, and I will hope to post on some other subjects and respond to earlier posts soon!  Janet

      Andrius,
      if there are no more urgent projects I'd like to collaborate with Samwel
      on a number of wiki-related issues:
      - We want to have ProWiki translated to Kiswahili (about 15-20
      work hours)
      - We want to build a school-wiki for African/Kenian students and
      teachers to present themselves, their needs and visions to become
      visible for online communication and collaboration.

      This would mean to contact people and help them with their
      first online and wiki experience and provide feedback to us.
      This should probably be two-lingual (English-Kiswahili) to allow
      for interaction with European schools in other wiki projects.
      - Another goal on the way would be to find and build contact to a school
      that has reasonable internet access and interested teachers to participate
      in the "video bridge" project eventually.
      I could also find some money for this project to increase its length if
      necessary. Our need is not urgent but if no-one else steps forward, I do.
      Helmut

      --
      HLS SOFTWARE/WIKISERVICE www.hls-software.com www.wikiservice.at
      leitner@... office@... leitner@...