How might Samwel in Kenya help with our projects?

    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 6, 2006
      Samwel Kongere in Kenya is available to help us with various projects
      that we might have at our lab. I have agreed to provide and send him
      $100 for him if he can find somebody at our lab that he might work
      openly for on some project. This is enough money for two months of
      part-time work.

      Lucas, Janet, Jeff, Franz, Pamela and all, please consider if there's a
      project that you would like Samwel to help you with. It should be a
      project which results in open work including letters to our groups, chat
      transcripts sent to our groups, wiki pages created, research done and
      shared, or anything like that. You would need to be in touch with
      Samwel by email and/or chat and/or possibly Skype. See my thoughts in
      my chat further below. Samwel's email is: samkongere2004-AT-yahoo.com

      This is an opportunity to have a field agent in rural Kenya, near Mbita
      and Lake Victoria. I think of Michael Franz Reinisch of
      http://www.globalmilling.com who I met through Franz Nahrada here in
      Vienna, and who is looking for buyers of an innovative mobile mill that
      keeps a grain's nutritious germ rather than throw it away.

      Or I think of Nikos's work on social housing. Nikos, perhaps you know
      of a person who might like to work with Samwel so that Samwel collects
      ideas and interviews?

      The best projects for us would be those where Samwel can work openly as
      a researcher. And I think he can do his best work if it relates to his
      key concept "Motivation through sacrifice" and his investigatory
      question "How I can find for myself and live comfortably while helping
      others?" Please note also that I will send Samwel my money as soon as
      the project is defined and the work has started. This is so that he can
      provide for himself and his family, the project be understood as our
      co-investment, and the money not be used as pressure.

      I think it is fantastic that we have this opportunity to work with an
      intelligent and motivated researcher in rural Africa. This is a very
      inexpensive way to give our work great meaning. I can provide the
      money, but I need somebody to work directly with Samwel so that the work
      is open and visible at our lab, but I do not have to involve myself
      directly.

      I share Samwel's letter and our chat.
      More about Samwel here:
      http://www.openleader.info/wiki.cgi?SamwelKongere

      samuel kongere wrote:

      > Dear All,
      >
      > I believe in the concepts and my concept has always been
      > "motivativation through suffering".Some sacrifice to help others while
      > I also help myself. These are the words of value to me and hope
      > through them I will be able to work with or for any member Of our groups.
      >
      > I am now doing own community Transectional drive to get some actual
      > informations and identify the government protocol in creating
      > awareness on sanitation regarding bird flu. This is going to apply
      > very well if I have information about groups vetting for information
      > and appraisals. In this field I can be happy to work with Lucas as he
      > is convasant with our country and his knowledge on bird Flu.
      >
      > In the other aspect, i am going to get groups environmental
      > information to help get them prepared for the Bird flu. Any interested
      > person in our groups can get me through to help the projects. This is
      > going to make me have community based information and school based
      > information. These bases will help in making information monitoring
      > and evaluations for calamity preparedness.
      >
      > I am also of the opinion to find problems affecting our slum dwellers
      > and more problems which are being caused by up coming settlements. Any
      > body can help if he/ she needs some information about settlement and
      > slum improvement.Any interested member can contact me and we see away
      > forward to get info about these projects and we can work together.
      >
      > Thanks I would hope hear your comments and work together.
      >
      > Samwel

      Samwel and Andrius chat 2006.06.06
      Samwel: Hello Andrius :: Long time

      Andrius: Hi Samwel!

      Samwel: fine and trying myself to hear from you

      Andrius: yes :: How are you doing? I am happy with your
      work for us. Thank you.

      Samwel: how was your trip?

      Andrius: I am still traveling. I am in Vienna visiting Franz
      Nahrada.

      Samwel: Pass my regards to Him

      Andrius: Yes, I just did. He says hello. :: He invites you
      to write about your local activities as a picture so that an outsider
      could understand more of what you and your colleagues are doing. ::
      Also, I met with Michael of http://www.globalmilling.com :: They are
      selling a mobile mill for about 150,000 euros that may be useful in
      Kenya because it keeps the grain's germ and thus its nutrition. Modern
      milling technologies throw away the germ. Also, this mill can be used
      with a variety of crops and moved in different seasons. :: Perhaps
      you know somebody who might be interested? :: You can write to
      Michael Franz Reinisch at mfr AT globalmilling.com

      Samwel: are you usnig a different version Of Yahoo.

      Andrius: yes :: I am using Kopete messenger

      Samwel: you went missing

      Andrius: I will log out and try the regular Yahoo :: one moment

      Samwel: wonder to me :: ok

      Andrius: Hi Samwel, are you there?

      Samwel: yes tell me what ever plan you have for me

      Andrius: do you have work now for somebody?

      Samwel: i am not working for anybody neither there is no work
      for me

      Andrius: My plan for you now is that you find somebody in our
      lab that you could help. For example, Lucas.

      Samwel: ok

      Andrius: If you can work with them, then I can probably find a
      little bit of money.

      Samwel: ON what particularly?

      Andrius: But I need you to work publicly for them, not for me.
      :: The best would be to relate it to your key concept "motivation
      through sacrifice" and your investigatory question :: What did you
      learn from your interviews?

      Samwel: Too much on how information is important for development

      Andrius: One thing that I need help with is writing first hand
      accounts of how people learned about their "money mind" :: You are a
      good writer

      Samwel: ok go on :: money mind is?

      Andrius: So I will try to write some sample stories of how I
      and others learned new principles because our old ways of thinking got
      us stuck :: "Money mind" is how we think about money, value, wealth,
      giving, working and other such topics.

      Samwel: fine

      Andrius: Another topic to work on is helping Nikos Salingaros,
      he is writing a paper on how to make social housing livable.

      Samwel: i had such information in my interview

      Andrius: Yes, very good. :: Do you have housing for the
      poor in Kenya?

      Samwel: Ihave seen such

      Andrius: One thing to study is how poor people live in slums
      and in state housing.

      Samwel: yes it is A social problem :: definately

      Andrius: What are good "patterns"? What makes the housing more
      "alive", "wholesome", "positive"? :: How can it be better?

      Samwel: I have heard about many problems and we have the
      langest slums in Africa

      Andrius: Another project is to help Janet somehow. We should
      ask her what would be helpful. Perhaps you can be her secretary. She
      can give letters for you to help respond to.

      Samwel: going in to the slums and finding Inforamtion on the
      government protocol on slums improvement

      Andrius: yes and talking to people :: what they think would
      make things better :: or what makes things better

      Samwel: I love the way you are coming up ask Janet about that

      Andrius: Another person to help is Lucas with the bird flu.
      :: How can we help people prepare for bird flu?

      Samwel: ...and remember I am only in a new beginning to start
      capacity building trainings on FOSS

      Andrius: One idea is for you to go into the slums and see who
      the natural leadership is, and how to work with them, how to support
      them if there is a human flu pandemic. :: Or, for example, how to
      support them with the current HIV/AIDS pandemic.

      Samwel: We had talked with Lucas but I am still waiting His
      response

      Andrius: How are they dealing with that? And how can we help?
      :: Another person to help is Franz Nahrada. He is working on "video
      bridges". Is there a center with good Internet access that has a web
      camera and would like to build video bridges with us?

      Samwel: We had gone through this in our discusion with Ken and
      Henry and nobody seems to be helping share the info :: Not near me
      but a bit far , there are

      Andrius: Another person to help is Jeff Buderer of One Village
      http://www.onevillage.biz And another is Pamela McLean of CAWD
      http://www.cawd.net They are interested in distance learning in Africa.
      :: Maybe Pamela would be interested in working with you on the flash
      cards.

      Samwel: Get them Across my line please

      Andrius: You have a computer at home now, yes? :: Another
      idea is for you to learn PHP/MySQL programming and help us build tools
      for our websites.

      Samwel: no at a centre 10 km away

      Andrius: And you could organize distance learning for website
      programming.

      Samwel: These are the Tech I need :: surely

      Andrius: So I will share our chat. It's important that you
      write letters and see who responds and be patient and try to work with
      them. :: You are making great progress.

      Samwel: send me other info

      Andrius: I can provide a little bit of money for your work, but
      you need to find somebody to work for and develop a small project with
      them, and maintain contact with them. :: This way we involve more
      people.

      Samwel: ....and remember Janet is having the proposal

      Andrius: yes :: you mention that "information is important
      for development" :: what kind of information is most important to you?

      Samwel: yes :: The money you say will be for what project?
      :: Inwardly technology information Updates and such like development
      is Important :: Sharing information is also Important to me and My
      commuinty for development

      Andrius: I can send you $100 for a project if you can find
      somebody in our laboratory who you could do the project for, and who
      would work with you.

      Samwel: I had identified Lucas on the prepared for the bird flu

      Andrius: Yes, he might be interested.

      Samwel: And while I was Nairobi before falling sick I had many
      loophole

      Andrius: Please tell me more about your family's grain business.

      Samwel: to see how our country can be prepaid not just saying
      being free :: Our village people spend with folkens in side their
      houses and starting from here is important info :: Yes our grain
      business is what my family depends on

      Andrius: Do you sell the grain? Do you mill the grain?

      Samwel: ....and currently we were focusing on buying astore but
      we ahven't reaced the amount required for the purcahse :: We had
      seling grains on the retail level but hope to expand and this forms the
      future plans :: We don't mill the grains but sell to those who mill it

      Andrius: Is it possible that you could find a buyer for an
      innovative mill? such as the ones sold by http://www.globalmilling.com ?
      :: Or that you could prepare a list of potential buyers?

      Samwel: Now this needs too much concentration baseline survey
      before giving details

      Andrius: This is one possible work that you could do. I spoke
      with Michael Franz Reinisch and I recommend that he hire you for such
      work if you are interested. And then the two of you should structure
      your relationship so that he pays you a minimum for your time and also a
      good commission if you make a sale, or help make a sale.

      Samwel: Wonderful let me check on the link

      Andrius: I think that a next step in all these projects is for
      you to write more about yourself and your local activities.

      Samwel: ....and send his contacts :: yes ...and when do you
      that

      Andrius: His email is mfr AT globalmilling.com

      Samwel: That will be possibe to be received by you?

      Andrius: You should write to our groups. :: And to him and
      you can CC me.

      Samwel: Can i email him now

      Andrius: yes

      Samwel: good

      Andrius: Also, for our lab, it would be helpful if you wrote
      more about your question, "How I can find for Myself and live
      Comfortably while helping others?" What are you learning about that?

      Samwel: are you prepared to send me the amount sooner

      Andrius: no

      Samwel: thanks

      Andrius: first you'll have to structure a project with
      somebody. That may be hard!

      Samwel: Ok I will go ahead and see what to do and proceed

      Andrius: ok

      Samwel: i am sending mails to the and you can as well send some
      info about me for those you think can be happy working with me

      Andrius: ok :: thank you for chatting with me! :: and
      thank you for your work for our lab!

      Samwel: thanks can you tell janet About this?

      Andrius: yes :: peace

      Samwel: I hope you will keep informed

      Andrius: let's write through our groups

      Samwel: byes

      Andrius: bye
    • Jeff Buderer
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 10, 2006
        Andrius,

        Thanks for the offer. I do think you have put forward a good plan. My
        suggestion would be to work with Samwell in moving forward on his plan
        for a learning center. Seeing the value created from his work as
        potentially usable for our other community development related projects.

        I think we should keep the focus on developing a community center that
        could possibly at one point morph into a fully featured ecovillage for
        Mbita. This is also the sort of groundwork we (OVF) did with Kennedy
        Onyango when he was director of OVF Kenya in 2004 (Kennedy just
        introduced himself to the Global Villages group). I would suggest that
        our work in trying to create a Unity Center in Mbita then, could also be
        considered in regards to this potential initiative. Possibly since both
        Samwel and Kennedy are in Mbita Kenya, they could work together on this
        project. I will leave this as something that Samwel could consider. I am
        not sure if he knows Kennedy personally or is aware of his previous work.

        Jeff

      • Jeff Buderer
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 10, 2006
[...]

          project. This is something that Samwel could consider. I am not sure if

          Kulikauskas wrote:

> [...]
          >
          > Samwel: Can i email him now
          >
          > Andrius: yes
          >
          > Samwel: good
          >
          > Andrius: Also, for our lab, it would be helpful if you wrote
          > more about your question, "How I can find for Myself and live
          > Comfortably while helping others?" What are you learning about that?
          >
          > Samwel: are you prepared to send me the amount sooner
          >
          > Andrius: no
          >
          > Samwel: thanks
          >
          > Andrius: first you'll have to structure a project with
          > somebody. That may be hard!
          >
          > Samwel: Ok I will go ahead and see what to do and proceed
          >
          > Andrius: ok
          >
          > Samwel: i am sending mails to the and you can as well send some
          > info about me for those you think can be happy working with me
          >
          > Andrius: ok :: thank you for chatting with me! :: and
          > thank you for your work for our lab!
          >
          > Samwel: thanks can you tell janet About this?

        • samuel kongere
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
            Dear Jeff, Andrius, and all,

            I have the pleasure to inform you that I am Kenyan Citizen and living in mbita. I am working in more trans-sectional community information and technology improvement in mbita and Rusinga Island. I am working with Rusinga Island Youth development forum initiative(RIYDFI). I am an FOSS activist.

            I also wish to tell members that I know Ken Onyango and I am ready to work with Jeff in the community multi-Learning Center.This Is a project we wish to explore many thoughts on ECO VILLAGE ideas .

            Jeff go ahead and have us plan for this and you can have the plan proposal for the Mult-learning center.

            Thanks,
            SAM

            Kulikauskas wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > Samwel: Can i email him now
            >
            > Andrius: yes
            >
            > Samwel: good
            >
            > Andrius: Also, for our lab, it would be helpful if you wrote
            > more about your question, "How I can find for Myself and live
            > Comfortably while helping others?" What are you learning about that?
            >
            > Samwel: are you prepared to send me the amount sooner
            >
            > Andrius: no
            >
            > Samwel: thanks
            >
            > Andrius: first you'll have to structure a project with
            > somebody. That may be hard!
            >
            > Samwel: Ok I will go ahead and see what to do and proceed
            >
            > Andrius: ok
            >
            > Samwel: i am sending mails to the and you can as well send some
            > info about me for those you think can be happy working with me
            >
            > Andrius: ok :: thank you for chatting with me! :: and
            > thank you for your work for our lab!
            >
            > Samwel: thanks can you tell janet About this?

          • Derick Odemba
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
              Hi Samuel,

              Please keep me more posted on this.I think you are
              doing a splendid work

              Derick

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • masimba biriwasha
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
                Dear Andrius,

                In reference to the discussion below, I just want to
                find out whwther Nikos Salingaros will be interested
                in doing some write up on Zimbabwe.

                We have interesting (weell sad) developments over the
                past two years with regards housing for the poor.

                Government, last year, demolished all the shanties in
                the urban areas of Zimbabwe, leaving over 700,000
                people homeless. The argument of government was that
                it wanted to make housing livable for the poor.

                Now, they are in the process of constructing low-cost
                housing for the poor.

                The level of the destruction of shanties is
                incidentally the biggest in the world.

                If Nikos is interested on more information, I need to
                know what exactly he is looking for, otherwise
                Zimbabwe makes an interesting case in this respect.

                Thank You

                God Bless

                Masimba Biriwasha

                > Andrius: Another topic to work on is helping Nikos
                Salingaros,> he is writing a paper on how to make
                social housing livable.

                > Samwel: i had such information in my interview
                >
                > Andrius: Yes, very good. :: Do you have housing for
                the
                > poor in Kenya?
                >
                > Samwel: Ihave seen such
                >
                > Andrius: One thing to study is how poor people live
                in slums
                > and in state housing.

                I have a strong feeling that every person owes it to him/herself, and to the cause which he is serving to keep their body strong and healthy, for better or worse, for disappointments and for trying positions.

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Derick Odemba
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
                  Dear all,

                  I hope this finds you all well.For those who do not
                  know me, my name is Derick Odemba, a kenyan national
                  working in Mozambique as a volunteer with
                  VSO(Voluntary Service Overseas). Specifically I work
                  for Ministry of Education in an ICT project that
                  provides ICT services and solutions to the educational
                  sector in Mozambique. I work as ICT Trainer and
                  Adviser. Above all I am a FOSS enthusiast and I
                  deliver training on the same.

                  Back in kenya I come from mbita where Samuel comes
                  from. I personally know Sam,whom I met at the Africa
                  Source II in Uganda early this year.I think i have
                  also communicated with kennedy on email once before. I
                  believe there's so much I can offer to the proposed
                  project in mbita in particular and the group in
                  general.

                  Sam and Kennedy, i hope to see you soon when I come
                  home.

                  Cheers

                  Derick

                  http://us.click.yahoo.com/R0DZdC/gOaOAA/E2hLAA/ok9qlB/TM

                  http://www.globalvillages.info/index.php/TheResourceToolshed/HolisticHelping

                  > Please note our rule: Each letter sent to the
                  > Holistic Helping group enters the PUBLIC DOMAIN
                  > unless it explicitly states otherwise. Thank you!
                  > http://www.ethicalpublicdomain.org
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                • Jeff Buderer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 19, 2006
                    Sam,

                    I am preceeding here in terms of offering suggestions about how it might
                    be best to proceed in terms of how best to organize your effort in a
                    effective way (this is not to say that I actually do it this way but
                    that I would probably be more successful if I did). Regardless there
                    needs to be some process of planning. In many cases the pattern I see is
                    that groups simply throw together a proposal. Increasingly I seeing this
                    as an ineffective as many questions need to be asked and discussed
                    before any work is done on a prospoal. In any project there should be a
                    starting point and series of steps to get there in terms of making
                    decisions about how and when to start and why. I there needs to be a
                    workflow process organized BEFORE any proposals are put together. This
                    includes asking every question you can imagine in terms of developing a
                    realistic proposal to set up your project. I am by no means an expert on
                    this and by no means should the below be taken to be the LAW of writing
                    proposal (just a potential example):

                    - Who is going to be involved and at what levels?
                    - What are the goals to be considered in this project?
                    - What is the region of intervention and will or can it be expanded? and
                    how?
                    - What is the plan for sustainability in terms of organizational,
                    financial and social/community considerations?
                    - How could and should the project be scaled or phased...considering
                    various scenarios.
                    - Consider the key deliverables and task to complete and a realistic
                    timeline to complete them (including the phasing of a process to answer
                    these questions to start)
                    - Write a compelling summary statement about the project that suits you
                    needs and aspirations as well as the community needs.
                    - Consider various options for funding and begin research (who will do
                    this and when will it start and be completed. then how will it be
                    incorporated into the project planning).
                    - Site location (what possible sites are there how will this be decided
                    and when will the site selection process be initiated and a final
                    decision made)
                    - What about the parnters?
                    - Organizational documentation (are you part of a registered org and is
                    it a fully accredited NGO or a CBO? if not you need to register one or
                    get one to support your work). All this needs to be properly documented
                    in a template/format that is familar to foundations.

                    Sam, I will do my best to help in developing a workable plan to get this
                    project moving and I know others here want to help but utlimately it
                    will be in your hands.

                    Kennedy is quite well versed not only in this process but also the key
                    ecovillage concepts. He also was one of the key people that enabled
                    GRASSUP to be funded in 2004.

                    I suggest you and Kennedy and the rest of your team make a list similar
                    to the one above and then also develop a process for making decisions as
                    the process evolves (possibly you have done this already). You also need
                    to come up with a values statement that should govern the process and
                    help keep the focus from beginning to end. This deliberative group could
                    be the board of directors itself or a implementation group of
                    organizational officers that reports to the board. It might be a good
                    idea to proceed step by step down the list of things after prioritizing
                    the proposal development tasks. Once all the information is collected
                    you can then put together the proposal and supporting documents and then
                    take the steps to promote your project to relevant groups.

                    Jeff

                    > Dear Jeff, Andrius, and all,
                    >
                    > I have the pleasure to inform you that I am Kenyan Citizen and living
                    > in mbita. I am working in more trans-sectional community information
                    > and technology improvement in mbita and Rusinga Island. I am working
                    > with Rusinga Island Youth development forum initiative(RIYDFI). I am
                    > an FOSS activist.
                    >
                    > I also wish to tell members that I know Ken Onyango and I am ready to
                    > work with Jeff in the community multi-Learning Center.This Is a
                    > project we wish to explore many thoughts on ECO VILLAGE ideas .
                    >

                    > Jeff go ahead and have us plan for this and you can have the plan
                    > proposal for the Mult-learning center.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > SAM
                    >
                    > *//*
                  • samuel kongere
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                      Dear JEFF, JANET, ANDRIUS AND ALL,

                      First I must say that through this group I have got much more information and people are very eager in our group to see that we succeed in Mbita.Great...haha!, this is what we have been looking for and those combrades who were with me at the Africa Source II are grateful friends......And having them here is very much pleasure to me, they are making this forum active and lively.

                      I am not trying to swift thoughts but trying to say that having a project envisioned for Mbita is great to me and the community that I serve. Janet I say that having the proposal copy given to Jeff through you is a great thought and I will see that the idea that I have is taken care of at the forum of exchange of thoughts. Jeff, I must say the propject I dea which I had before since 1996 to date is the idea I am putting forward.

                      ......And saying so together with Janet and the rest is great having Mbita as the resourceful area in the rural and spilling to different parts of Kenya through one Initiative with a base in Mbita. I say some people here are having projects and diviating from the theme of a better learned community. Statistics show we are going back in Education Standards compared to the time we had independence. Having a learning Center In Mbita is vital to the fishing community.

                      I therefore will release the budget when there a serious team to make the idea drive to it's climax. We can have phases yes! and the first is to have a one focal point with computers and internet access then move on and on.......I need initial fund or somebody to give computers as a fast technology step for Open sourcse software campaign.

                      I hope to your commets JEFF when the copy of the propoasal is with you !!!!!!!

                      Regards,
                      Samwel

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • lucas.gonzalez@canarias.org
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                        Sam and all,

                        The linux user group where I'm active (on-and-off) here in the Canaries has about 200 recyclable computers and more may be coming; I don't know how useable they are. I guess the same happens in other places. I don't know how new-old those computers are, but I know my computer knowledgeable friends are mostly finishing their exams and some will probably be available to help. Help could be in the form of computer and/or know-how. A maths teacher here helped a nun in mainland Spain set up a computer lab at her school - tele-maintenance has continued and all she has to do is replace an old computer every now and then (placing another old computer in its place).

                        I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm not at all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever. I looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly useful, but might try again.

                        I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to "local reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments about this on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in this regard. Resilience.

                        I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or Henry Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's active (I know because I'm still subscribed).

                        Lucas
                      • Jeff Buderer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                          Lucas,.

                          Franz's comments when put together are a cautionary tale for us. Kenya
                          is not Spain for one thing....You dont have a lot of the infrastructure
                          that Spain has in Africa and so maintaining a center becomes a lot more
                          challenging.

                          There's a whole economy/industry dedicated to used computers. I am not
                          going to say I am well acqiainted with this but it is my understanding
                          that it is best to ship these in bulk if you are going to do it
                          yourself. It does not make sense to ship small quantities of used
                          computers or even new ones to Africa. So we are talking really about the
                          need to set up a distribution system and so the costs for shipping and
                          moving them and if needed refurbishing them and installing software in
                          them also need to be considered. Groups like Computer Aid provide the
                          computers at relatively low cost.

                          In terms of any project to ship 200 computers over there would be
                          several things to consider:
                          - Project sustainability - You want to make sure the computers are
                          properly utilized and go to their desired locations.
                          - Network development - With that many computers you would need a whole
                          network of centers and so each one need to address the sustainability issue.
                          - Ecological sustainability - Should we think of what is going to done
                          with this computers when they break and can no longer be used? As more
                          computers get sent over the Africa this may become more of an issue.
                          - Condition of Computers - Those 200 computers need to be inventoried
                          and what about upgrades, repairs and software installs.
                          - Shipping details - A portion of a shipping container would need to
                          purchased to ship these over and so research needs to be done to find
                          the details about this process
                          - Project documentation -It would be good to document every step well so
                          that others following these steps would not have to reinvent the wheel
                          so to speak. Maybe the documentation could be posted onto the wiki.

                          So then the key thing - if we would actually decide to move on this -
                          would be to sequence this as part of a larger proposal such as the one
                          which I discussed with Sam in the other email thread. My view is that I
                          would need to see certain sets of information about the specific centers
                          these computers would go into and a demonstration of sustainability
                          before I would do much work on this proposal. Or that this proposal
                          would complement a more generalized and comprehensive funding plan.

                          The point is that it does not make a great deal of sense to put a great
                          effort to ship a bunch of computers into Kenya until and unless you
                          have a concrete program or series of programs to direct the computers
                          to. Possibly GRASSUP could form the backbone of this network? Still my
                          concern would be that there needs to be computers and cash to properly
                          fund these centers and trained staff to maintain and staff them.

                          So then Lucas if we can spare some computers why cant we spare some cash
                          to make sure they are used properly? A fundraising effort might be a
                          great complement to this campaign to collect, process and then ship
                          these computers to Africa to fund the centers as well as more
                          ambitiously a capacity building program.

                          Jeff

                          gonzalez@... wrote:

                          > Sam and all,
                          >
                          > The linux user group where I'm active (on-and-off) here in the
                          > Canaries has about 200 recyclable computers and more may be coming; I
                          > don't know how useable they are. I guess the same happens in other
                          > places. I don't know how new-old those computers are, but I know my
                          > computer knowledgeable friends are mostly finishing their exams and
                          > some will probably be available to help. Help could be in the form of
                          > computer and/or know-how. A maths teacher here helped a nun in
                          > mainland Spain set up a computer lab at her school - tele-maintenance
                          > has continued and all she has to do is replace an old computer every
                          > now and then (placing another old computer in its place).
                          >
                          > I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm not at
                          > all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some
                          > affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever. I
                          > looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly useful,
                          > but might try again.
                          >
                          > I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to "local
                          > reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments about this
                          > on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in this
                          > regard. Resilience.
                          >
                          > I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or Henry
                          > Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's active (I
                          > know because I'm still subscribed).
                          >
                          > Lucas

                        • Jeff Buderer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                            Lucas,.

                            Franz's comments regarding the project he tried to help (in was it
                            Cameroon?) when put together are a cautionary tale for us. Kenya is not

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 20, 2006
                              Jeff and all,

                              It looks like the plot thickens; i.e., we need to take many factors into consideration, and we're doing just that.

                              Now I see why you want to document the process on wikipages, create the big picture with all the details before moving too fast, and outreaching to others who are good at specific things (e.g. moving computers around). Please consider Linux User Groups (and probably ours specifically) as a probable asset in this regard, as a source of "refurbished oldish computers with a mission". You're on your way to providing a clear picture of "the mission". We need to get in touch with people good at moving computers around, and some fund-raising. Yes, it does start to look like a wikipage. A bit like one of those "I'll pay if you pay" pledges, in the making.

                              I can help with our local LUG, if that's seen to be helpful. As I said, my geek friends are finishing their exams and soon we'll be able to know how many computers, how old, how useful, etc. And, if I may insist, there's a LUG in Kenya:
                              * http://www.linux.org/groups/kenya.html

                            • samuel kongere
                              Message 14 of 15 , Jun 25, 2006
                                Dear Jeff, Lucas, Andrius, Janet and All,

                                I presume we are doing the right job for mbita and wish to join the global limelight concerning information and technology. We are very much impressed with the different comments the people in our lab are taking to see that a combined effort is put to have Mbita in the global limelight and this is very suitable for marketing and hence community development as a whole.

                                We are working together with Ken to see things are in place for the proposals made. Our hope as always is to see that we become the next global village with the ICT service deemed for international development, it is an excellent conference to see people wonder on how to help the less previleged in the globe. It was exciting and very interesting. The good thing about it, was that all the pieces  of mind were there to bring thinking together in  technology unity development, the packed programme, the people from all over. It built a sense of community that has not happened before. We really treasure the thoughts brought in by Lucas and we are looking forward to see the thought come true when we indulge in global sharing.

                                Somebody tells me Africa information revolution is wireless and this tells me that Local social information network has no boundary and this is why when people give information and hope to compare development is good in our lab. The question is, are we able to get funds to finalise our dream in Mbita? Or are we on the oughing that things are talked and never reach compromises? Think loud as we are independent thinkers. Is there anybody against the wish of many? We better concentrate and do one project and ride on to see the sense of the forum discussion.

                                Helmut

                                 I wish you will come clear I am preparing the mail for the project we are running together with you and Andrius. Be specific as the base line survey is near completion and your proWiki version in English should be received to make me have the full details. I am always thinking loud and this is what makes the man ou of me.

                                Andrius

                                I am very much happy to receive your short notes and i am much hoping to succeed, I am about to be through with the drawing of the map and you know much of my efforts are lost when I walk 10 km to write reports, I just wanted a bit more value to help me have portable laptop which can be used anywhere when work is on, I will contact you for away out.

                                Janet

                                I am through with the form and sent it to Caroline, I am still waiting to get her reply for the completed form. We are going to work with Ken In Grass up Now, I wanted to meet James and Francis when they came to Mbita, we missed one another, haha! I wanted to know if I can help you as one of your secretaries doing something as Andrius had suggested for me. I not very committed now that i am doing part time work for CCF here. There is also good news that electricity is now here and having computers here is paramount and destined to succeed may be putting the said project in the proposal  to be in Phases, we can divide the Idea in phases as you suggested.

                                Jeff

                                I believe by now you have received my proposal copy from Janet but I can still send it accross to you today I hope you get it and Advice for implementation. When I was writing it, we never had power but now there is electricity and putting the project here is well felt.

                                Thanks to all willing to see that we succeed in the Idea of Eco Village learning center.

                                From
                                Samwel

                                * http://groups. yahoo.com/ search?query= kenya+linux& submit=Search (4 groups)
                                * http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/kenyalinux / (the one I'm subscribed at, 222 members)

> [...]

                                > > I'd be happy to help with human networking in this regard. I'm
                                > not at
                                > > all sure old computers can be shipped easily from here; some
                                > > affectionate reception may be needed on your end, or whatever.
                                > > looked for ways to send computers and found nothing directly
                                > useful,
                                > > but might try again.
                                > >
                                > > I'd bet "abundance shipping" might be somewhat an option to
                                > "local
                                > > reparing", or maybe this is just silly. Franz had comments
                                > about this
                                > > on his blog. We might want to try several things at once in
                                > this
                                > > regard. Resilience.
                                > >
                                > > I think you want links with Ubuntu in South-Africa. Did you or
                                > Henry
                                > > Migingo finally join the linux user group in Kenya? It's

                                MBITA  040305-KENYA.
                                Cell: +254 725 600 439
                                Computer specielist
                                Community Development

                                Yahoo! Groups gets better. Check out the new email design. Plus there’s much more to come.

                              • Jeff Buderer
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 3, 2006
                                  Masimba,

                                  Thought the links below might be of interest to you:

                                  Changemakers.org is now accepting applications for a contest on low cost
                                  housing http://www.changemakers.net/journal/300606/

                                  Paul Cohen <http://www.ashoka.org/fellows/viewprofile3.cfm?reid=97498>
                                  an Ashoka fellow has been pioneering low cost building technologies in
                                  South Africa.

                                  Keep in touch.

                                  Jeff Buderer
                                  oneVillage Foundation