Ken Owino Meet Felix Masi and Qiujing Wong

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2007
      Hello Dear Ken and All!

      Wonderful to hear from you, and that you have a positive and upbeat spirit and approach as always, which is truly "halfway there" to anywhere!

      This is just a short note to say that I will send some small support if I can, over the weekend, and also to say that I am eager to work with you on a possible "Rising Voices" application for the fall, as well as one to the Prince Claus Fund.

      I also want to introduce you to a friend there in Nairobi, Felix Masi, whose org is called "Voiceless Children". Himself an orphan, he is now a filmmaker and photographer who is helping others. See www.voicelesschildren.org

      He has also been an instrumental part of a forthcoming film about grandmothers as guardians of their orphaned grandchildren (due to HIV/AIDS). It is called "A Grandmother's Tribe", and is directed by Qiujing Wong of Borderless Productions (www.borderlessproductions.com), who came to Kenya last fall to shoot it. It will be out this coming month!

      See http://www.agrandmotherstribe.com for more on this exciting film!

      I have mentioned the "Rising Voices" grant to Felix and Qiujing too, and Jeff Buderer of oneVillage Foundation (www.onevillagefoundation.org) and others are interested in it too. Thanks as well to Andrius for his ideas!

      Felix and Qiujing, meet Ken Owino of Nafsi Afrika Acrobats, located in Kibera/Nairobi. Ken will be travelling to the Netherlands to work with refugee children there in July. See http://www.nafsiafriacrobats.org

      Ken writes: "Nafsi Afrika street children outreach programme is designed to capacity-build street children and empower them on gainful livelihood in the
      field of arts and arts-related activities in the city and its environs. Emphasis is put on developing the capacity of the street children and other unfortunate youths to participate, as appropriate, in urban poverty reduction responsibilities, and also elimination of such vices like crime and drug abuse. Its rationale lies in the provision of a friendly approach to training opportunities in acrobatics, dance, music, drama, and fine arts and crafts."

      And that's music to our ears! Ken is at nafsiafricaacro@..., Felix at
      felixmasius@..., and Qiujing at qiujing@....

      Here's to voices rising, and being voiceless no more! Love and Blessings, Janet

      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 2, 2007
        Thanks janet, Your contribution in part towards our travel is
        greatly appreciated.
        "abilty is of little account without opportunity"
        We believe this opportunity will expose us to greater horizons of
        working with different and diverse cultures in our most important
        mission of creating some social change.
        social erosion is not just a local problem but a global one, that
        needs to be countered, arrested and addressed.
        we are not taking our skills and abilities to where a path may
        lead , but instead where there exists no path and leave a trail.
        It's in our efforts of social empowerment.
        Thanks in your role in helping Refugees (seeking assylum in Holland)
        the chance to social liberation.
        And for the "Rising voices" and Prince Claus fund i say am all
        available and willing to join hands with you in helping us get
        through this grants.

        I'd wish to meet you Felix Masi, most probably before i leave for
        Holland (9th June 2007).
        Please let's make a schedule.
        I just visited your website and was more than impressed with the
        kind of work you are doing(it's "dust raising")
        Talent is out there to capture, tap and help to yield.
        There are rythmic, frenzy innovatives artistry coming up, and i
        guess you'd be an appropriate avenue exposing all this to the
        limelight.
        It's a powerful platform telling stories.
        I believe the medium of film is a one vital one in bringing African
        issues to a global audience in an engaging and innovative real way.
        Yours is a social change vehicle, with right social and financial
        incentives.
        perhaps we may have same line to pull the strings together.

        Yes we do collaborate with Sarakasi trust, we are also out reach
        trainers under their programme.
        Our group trains at the Godown Arts center every Tuesdays.
        The other days we are either in Kivuli center-Satellite or
        kawangware.
        On Fridays 3p.m-5p.m we have running programmes at S.t Consolata and
        S.t Jeffreys academy (Kibera).

        If you happen to drop by, please drop me a line on 0723568251.
        And i won't forget to thank you and Quijing Wong (i hope the
        spelling is right) for wishing me a "Bon Voyage"

        See you soon.

        Regards,

        Ken Owino
        Nafsi Afrika Acrobats,
        www.nafsiafriacrobats.org

        felix masi <felixmasius@...> wrote:
        Hi Ken,
        You must be upbeat to land in the beautiful land full
        of cheese!!! You will learn more from them when you
        visit since they have allot of art events during this
        time.
        Are you in touch with Sarakasi? Give a call at some
        point then we can chart more.
        I am looking forward to meet you and the group soon.
        Regards,
        Felix
        --- Qiujing Wong - Borderless Productions
        wrote:

> [...]
        > programme is designed to
        > > capacity-build street children and empower them on
        > gainful livelihood in the
        > > field of arts and arts-related activities in the
        > city and its environs.
        > > Emphasis is put on developing the capacity of the
        > street children and other
        > > unfortunate youths to participate, as appropriate,
        > in urban poverty reduction
        > > responsibilities, and also elimination of such
        > vices like crime and drug
        > > abuse. Its rationale lies in the provision of a
        > friendly approach to training
        > > opportunities in acrobatics, dance, music, drama,
        > and fine arts and crafts."
        > >
        > > And that's music to our ears! Ken is at
        > nafsiafricaacro@..., Felix at
        > > felixmasius@..., and Qiujing at
        > qiujing@....
        > >
        > > Here's to voices rising, and being voiceless no

        === message truncated ===

        Finding fabulous fares is fun.
        Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel sites to find
        flight and hotel bargains.