New Working Group: Learning From Each Other

    Message 1 of 1 , May 29 2:47 PM
      I am happy to share news that our Minciu Sodas laboratory has a new
      working group lead by Pamela McLean. Her key concept is "learning from
      each other" and that's the name of the group! Please join us at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/learningfromeachother/ by sending a blank
      message to learningfromeachother-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Pamela's investigatory question is How do we use ICT to enable an
      educational system that lets self-directed learners be agents of their
      own learning?

      It will take some time for us to build momentum. Jeff Buderer
      http://www.onevillage.biz of our Back To The Root working group
      has agreed that for now we work on distance learning also at Back To The
      Root until we get going at this new group. What I think the two groups
      have in common is the importance of first hand knowledge in being
      connected with ourselves and truly self-directed. Jeff, Thank you! and
      hi to Amy! and all our new participants at BTTR.

      Pamela lives in London, UK and is a leader of CawdNet
      http://www.cawd.net/daisy/CawdNet/715.html a network which combines
      networking on the Internet with community networking in rural Africa.
      She is especially active in Nigeria, helping teachers learn how to use
      ICT, and bolstering existing networks in Africa by linking up all manner
      of experts and helpers from around the world.

      Helmut Leitner shares notes from his extensive conversations with Pamela:
      http://www.patternlanguages.info/wiki.cgi?PamelaMcLean

      I learned of Pamela through Jeff Buderer and also Janet Feldman of
      KAIPPG speaks very well of her. I met Pamela twice this month in
      London and was impressed by her good energy and deep experience. We're
      truly blessed to welcome her as a leader at our laboratory.

      Pamela and I also spoke about the technologies we're using. We'll try
      to coordinate our approaches. Our plan is to use our ProWiki at
      http://www.findbetterways.info to support unstructured learning (such as
      independent projects). She is setting up Moodle to support structured
      learning (such as step-by-step units), so we will be learning more about
      that, and I think, finding ways to participate. Omo Oaiya and Helmut
      Leitner will be speaking about Moodle and I hope will advise on which
      technology to use for which purposes. Also, perhaps our efforts might
      link up with OneVillage's.

      Pamela, I share your letter below. Oh, yes, you now have moderator
      privileges, please use them!