Andrius-Sam-Pam-All: URGENT JUNE 15th Deadline/Pam posted on this too?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2007
      Hello Dear Andrius and All,

      Fantastic to hear from you, and your ideas are excellent! I just received this from a friend, and sorry for the very short deadline, as it would have been great to have more time to develop our ideas.

      I have so many myself, not only for MS-HH related friends and activities, but ActALIVE and much more. Members there are already doing this kind of work. And see JUMP (www.jumptochangetheworld.org) for something similar.

      Before I go further, let me say that I was looking through mail last night and saw something posted by Pam a couple days ago which I think is the same thing (will be reading mail more closely today and will check again)?

      If so, great minds think alike :):), and it's heartening to know that our networks are spontaneously generating greater convergence and collaborative possibilities! So thanks to Pam too, and Pam, any thoughts on what we might do?

      Andrius, thanks so much for passing this along to all forums, esp Global Villages, as I know Franz and others are eager to work with video and address these types of issues. And thanks to Asif for your encouragement and support too!

      On the ideas you have mentioned, all are exciting! I love the FoodStory video idea, as that is something global. Though it does have a Kenyan component, too, so we could concentrate on one country, for example, and include some of your other ideas as well.

      If we focused on Kenya, we could do something like this: build video bridges between the urban and rural areas, such as Nairobi-Mbita-Kisumu. This would draw in Sam and Tom from the rural areas. Tom and Sam now have cameras--thanks to you, Maria, Chris, and others--and they have met Ken, David, and others in Nairobi, so a foundation has already been laid for further collaboration. We should draw in OVF-Kenya too.

      It's very important to ensure that the rural areas are a major focus, so I think we should go for "centers" in both places, rather than just focusing on Nairobi. In that regard, how much of a budget would we need?

      The purpose of these grants is to "teach citizen media techniques", so in that regard, perhaps we should concentrate on that as an activity, developing learning modules in Kiswahili? We could tie that to the FoodStory project as a subject. And is there a place for Weninars here?

      We could offer to translate their media curriculum into Kiswahili--which is not currently represented--and then use what we translate to teach locally (as per their example: "Translating our new media curriculum to an indigenous language that is currently not represented in the blogosphere or podosphere. Then use the learning modules to encourage bloggers to write in those languages.").

      The "global engagement" could be in the form of sharing what we do both at their site and via the FoodStory project, which has engaged our members throughout the world.

      Or Franz and others, do you have ideas? We could consider building video bridges to rural areas of Europe and the USA, and/or somehow building a "thin-client" model, wherein the computing (or other ICT) power of one person/country/region could boost the lesser power of the other.

      It is generally assumed that the more powerful (newer, higher speeds, et al) resides in developed countries, but rural areas (and even some urban settings, like Kibera in Nairobi) of developed countries might also benefit from thin-client twinning. So we can keep that in mind when designing our bridges and networks.

      It's a bit unclear (at least to me) if our members in different countries/regions could also apply for the same grant and activity in their areas. Theoretically "yes" (as the applications could come in from a number of different places), but I wonder if the grantmaker would think there was too much concentration of funding to one organization (ie if we tie all of this to MS). Thoughts?

      I have only a few nanoseconds right now myself for this, but could try to work out something tonight if I can. I'll look again at the