URGENT JUNE 15th Deadline: "Rising Voices" Seeking Media Project Proposals (small grants available)

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007

      Rising Voices, the outreach arm of Global Voices, is now accepting project proposals for the first round of microgrant funding of up to $5,000 for new media outreach projects. Ideal applicants will present innovative and detailed proposals to teach citizen media techniques to communities that are poorly positioned to discover and take advantage of tools like blogging, video-blogging, and podcasting on their own. Applicants from countries outside of North America and Western Europe are especially encouraged to apply

      Global Voices Online is a non-profit global citizens� media project founded at Harvard Law School �s Berkman Center for Internet and Society, a research think-tank focused on the Internet�s impact on society.

      As the internet becomes more accessible to more people, as computers become cheaper, and as software applications move from the desktop to the web, the so-called digital divide seems to be narrowing. In its place, however, we see a participation gap in which the vast majority of blogs, podcasts, and online video are being produced in middle-class neighborhoods in major cities around the world.

      Rising Voices aims to help bring new voices from new communities and speaking new languages to the conversational web, by providing resources and funding to local groups reaching out to underrepresented communities. Examples of potential projects include:

      • Purchasing an affordable digital video camera and teaching a group of rural students how to produce an ongoing video-blog documentary about the lives of their grandparents.
      • Organizing a regular workshop on blogging and photography at a local orphanage. Portions of the budget could be used on cheap digital cameras and internet cafe costs so that participants could describe their local neighborhoods to a global audience with text and photos.
      • Working with a local NGO or social entrepreneur so that their challenges, successes, and stories are told to a global audience.
      • Translating our new media curriculum to an indigenous language, like Quechua or Wolof, that is currently not represented in the blogosphere or �podosphere.� Then use the learning modules to encourage bloggers to write in those languages.

      The sky is the limit, but unfortunately funding is not. Rising Voices outreach grants will range from $1,000 to $5,000. Please be as thoughtful, specific, and realistic as possible when drafting your budgets. There are significant word limitations to the sections of the application.

      Applicants may be NPOs, NGOs or individuals.

      There may be another round of grants in the Fall 2007.

      Successful projects will be prominently featured on Global Voices.

      Completed applications will be accepted no later than Friday, June 15. Please email them to outreach@...

      Download grant application in .DOC format
      Download grant application in .RTF format

      Feel free to ask questions in the comments section by sending an email to outreach@...

      http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/2007/05/31/rising-voices-seeks-micro-grant-proposals-for-blog-outreach/

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
        Janet, This is a great opportunity for us. I don't know what the chance
        of winning is. But the topic is very important and I encourage our
        African and Indian colleagues to write with your ideas. And please share
        them with us in your letters so that if you don't win we can try them at
        some other opportunity. Here are some ideas of what would be very useful
        for us:

        Idea #1) Video Bridge Center in Nairobi, Kenya (or elsewhere). Ask for
        $2,500 for a good projector and additional equipment and $1,000 for a
        base with high-speed Internet access for say two years. This will allow
        participation in the video bridge network being organized by Minciu
        Sodas. Also you can record the conversations and publish them as video.
        Visitors from rural areas could stay at or near the base. We already
        have a camera.

        Idea #2) Development of video, audio, text materials for explaining in
        local languages how to participate locally in Minciu Sodas as an
        independent thinker and lead your own group.

        Idea #3) Video for My Food Story building on what we have already done
        and making it possible for people around the world to engage farmers in
        response to their interviews posted on YouTube.

        Idea #4) Video for documenting the "theory and practice" of nonviolence
        in places like Israeli-occupied Palestine, Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Chicago.

        Idea #5) Documenting examples of community currency at work from around
        the world.

        Ask for modest stipends.

        I'm working on my taxes but perhaps others can help here. The more of us
        apply with our original ideas, the more chance we have of winning, I
        think. Thank you, Janet!

      • subscribe@studynook.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
          Janet:

          You amaze me every time - getting good information for us. I thank you for this document - yes we should apply as a group or individuals for the group.

          Asif.

          Completed applications will be accepted no later than Friday, June 15. Please email them to outreach@globalvoic esonline. org

          Feel free to ask questions in the comments section by sending an email to outreach@globalvoic esonline. org

          http://www.globalvo icesonline. org/2007/ 05/31/rising- voices-seeks- micro-grant- proposals- for-blog- outreach/