Next steps for our shoes?

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 11, 2007
      Hallo Christine Ax und alle,
      Ich sende Nachrichten über unsere Forschung in Schuhe.
      Sollten wir mehr Forschung tun?

      Christine,

      Two months ago we spoke about the modern craft of shoemaking and the
      local production of customize shoes. You participate in the company
      http://masschuh.de and you were interested that they donate one of their
      custom local shoe production machines to an African village.

      I apologize that I have been slow to respond. Here in Lithuania I have
      had to move out of our headquarters in Pavilnys and am trying to ensure
      our future there. It has also been a challenge to start up our video
      bridge project there which Franz Nahrada helped us win. And now I'm
      working on my US taxes.

      There is enormous interest in collecting shoe stories in Africa and
      looking for cobblers who are "independent thinkers". After I mentioned
      your plan, we had some great response:
      * Fred Kayiwa in Uganda shared a wonderful interview with cobbler
      Charlse Yiga of Uganda Crafts:
      * Samwel Kongere in rural Kenya, in Lake Victoria, shared his thoughts:
      * Surya Rao Maturu in India shared a contrary perspective with ideas for
      importing shoes from India. He also told us of a tailor in Delhi who
      uses an online website to offer custom design and fabrication of suits
      for people in London. And Surya posted photos of a traditional cobbler
      in India and his tools and how he works, see:
      http://www.worknets.org/wiki.cgi?Shoes
      * Sasha Mrkailo in Serbia posted excerpts from five stories from the
      Internet about "new craft" shoemakers at:
      http://www.myfoodstory.info/?tag=Shoes

      We would love to work further. Are you still interested? We agreed that
      a next step would be for 100 euros we could collect some stories to look
      for the "independent thinker" cobblers who might make best use of your
      machine. Should we do this? For this money our participants in several
      African countries (such as Nigeria, Cameroon, Ghana, Kenya, Uganda,
      Tanzania) would interview one or more "independent thinking" cobblers
      about their personal values, their work life, their business vision,
      their community activity and their thoughts on making best use of your
      machine. We will interview in at least five locations. Where possible we
      will send photos and video. Sasha Mrkailo in Serbia will help them post
      their stories at our wiki and at MyFoodStory http://www.myfoodstory.com
      and Surya Rao Maturu in India will help us organize this in the context
      of our work to collect "appropriate technologies" as that is a current
      interest at our lab. Note that with additional funding we can keep
      collecting more stories and interviews. As we go we will discuss the
      candidates and we can also do more rigorous analysis and comparisons.

      If you like this idea, then please let's discuss it further or simply
      PayPal me 100 euros at ms@... I can send you an invoice if you provide
      me your details.

      I hope we might work for you. This is an exciting opportunity for all of
      us and certainly for the village that you select.

      Do others at New Craft have any news to share?

      Vilnius, Lithuania

      Christine Ax, It was wonderful to meet you in Hamburg! I'm excited
      about your ideas on shoe production in Africa. (A special thank you to
      Stella Loewenberg for encouraging me to come to Hamburg.) I share my
      letter with our NewCraft, Holistic Helping, Mendenyo and Social
      Agriculture working groups. [...]

      Yesterday I spoke with Christine Ax who leads our New Craft working
      group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/newcraft/

      She is interested to collect "shoe stories" about what our shoes mean to
      us in our lives. She wants to know about our "shoe cultures" around the
      world: why we wear them, how we get them, how we repair them, where we
      wear them. She is studying:
      * What kind of shoe culture has existed before the modern sport shoes?
      * What kinds of shoe and shoe culture would people like to have?
      * What kinds of problems do they have with the shoe culture of today?
      * What would be a good location and team to build up a local shoe industry?

      She participates in a company http://masschuh.de which creates
      personalized shoes that exactly match the shape of an individual's
      foot. You can imagine the shoemaker making measurements of a person's
      foot, putting those numbers in a computer, and then a machine cutting
      the leather into the exact shape for the shoe to be sewn together. She
      is looking for a place in our network where we know shoemakers, somebody
      who knows how to sew leather to make the uppers for the shoes, who knows
      how to work with leather and can repair shoes. The idea would be to
      send a machine so as to demonstrate what her company can do. Then high
      quality shoes could be created at a reasonable price for the local
      people. And perhaps there could be some export to members of our lab!
      This is not mass production, it is the opposite: shoes individually
      crafted for each foot! In particular, the left shoe and the right shoe
      can be different! Most people's feet do not have the same shape.

      Helen, please focus on shoe stories - short stories (two or three or
      four sentences) about individuals who wear shoes, and long stories
      (interviews) with shoemakers. I also ask Sasha to collect some shoe
      stories at MyFoodStory http://www.myfoodstory.info (they can be related
      to agriculture or not).

      I encourage all of our Africans to send us some shoe stories because we
      will have a bit of new money from Christine (100 EUR minus any fees) for
      one person to work on this. I will decide who would be the right person
      to make sure that we have stories from our entire network. From all of
      the shoe stories we will think and decide together, what would be the
      best location in our network to have a local shoe production machine and
      team.

      Also, do we know German speakers in Africa, such as in Tanzania or
      Cameroon? That would help.

      We also discussed some day perhaps setting up a machine in the South
      Side of Chicago because of the immense interest there in footwear and
      the great impact that local production might have.

      This is wonderful news and is an example of the great possibilities we
      have by relating our investigations and our resources!

      AW: [newcraft] Shoe stories and Thank you, Helen and Josephat

      Anzeige

      Dear Andrius, thank you so much for our interesting meeting in Hamburg
      und the follow-up you are already starting. I enjoy very much the idea
      to collect knowledge about traditional and contemporary shoe-culture.
      I´m sure, there MUST exist an important treasure of “shoe-knowledge and
      shoe-culture” in the world, and when I´m talking about shoe-culture – it
      mean our traditions to protect, cloth and decorate our feets and the
      experiences we and our feets have with modern shoeware. Concerning the
      support of a small shoe factory: we need a place and people having the
      possibility to work with computer and plotter, can go to the internet
      and have some experience in repairing shoes or sewing leather.. So far,
      good by! Christine Ax

      ax@...

      www.fhochx.de

      christine-ax@...

      www.ipf-hamburg.net

      Tel..: 040 59350021
    • samuel kongere
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2007

        Thanks Janet,

        For  this great link of an idea. I see it is an opportunity for our counterparts in Africa. I will try as Andrius say, about a center in Nairobi which we dearly need. If you still can help with great links then it excellent.

        I am still traveling and in Ifakara wish to fill this form and submit the application, we need more help and this is great.
        Maria & Sam Ifakara

        MBITA  040305-KENYA.
        Cell: +254 725 600 439

        Luggage? GPS? Comic books?
      • subscribe@studynook.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 12, 2007
          Sam:

          I encourage you to participate in the contest. Maybe David could join you? It would be worthwhile.

          Asif.

          For  this great link of an idea. I see it is an opportunity for our counterparts in Africa. I will try as Andrius say, about a center in Nairobi which we dearly need. If you still can help with great links then it excellent.

          I am still traveling and in Ifakara wish to fill this form and submit the application, we need more help and this is great.
          Maria & Sam Ifakara

          MBITA  040305-KENYA.
          Cell: +254 725 600 439
          UDOGO youth development/ Miniciu-Sodas Laboratories

          Luggage? GPS? Comic books?