76Bird Flu Basics in Tamil, Lithuania, Kenya

    Apr 12, 2006
      Hi Lucas and all,

      I am sitting here next to George Christian Jeyaraj, our Research
      Fellow. He speaks Tamil and has created a website using Tamil fonts,
      see: http://www.karangal.com We're discussing projects.

      One project that we'd like to do is to write up "Bird Flu Basics" that
      we could translate and spread into different languages. Surely somebody
      has started this. But we'd like to contribute. Let's write up versions
      of the most basic information (1, 3, 10 pages) for different levels of
      advocates. And translate that, adapting as appropriate. George is
      ready to help and he'll start writing in English and we look to you for
      direction.

      Also, George has typed in the information for our reading flash cards -
      55 beginning and 500 endings for single syllable words. These are now
      in a MySQL database and he will be programming an interface to make this
      available. He will first create a report just to show the data. Later
      we will create games, applications, flashcards, etc.

      Finally, George is helping Plazi here in Lithuania. We will lend him
      our very old laptop and George will teach him computer skills and how to
      make web pages. Also, Plazi has met with the Balti Drambliai cafe and
      we have discussed with several musicians and so it looks like we will
      have a program for http://www.oneworldbeat.org on May 6th. Perhaps we
      might have video bridges on that occassion?

      I haven't heard from Samwel Kongere in a while, I imagine he is still
      sick. I hope he gets well soon and I look forward to working with him
      and others as our resources permit.

      +370 (699) 30003
      Vilnius, Lithuania
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic