4782Re: [holistichelping] Lessons for Kwanzaa from Pyramid of Peace

    Dec 18, 2010
      Dear Andrius and All,

      Wonderful to hear from you, and what a fantastic and meaningful way to approach both Kwanzaa and our Pyramid of Peace project. There are some important and timely linkages that can be made between them, in particular reinforcing personal and communal values that can be found in Africa, the African Diaspora--and descendents thereof--and around the world.

      There are many artists who have responded creatively to what happened in Kenya in 2008, and this project will help to carry on that legacy. In fact, there is an article on the ActALIVE website that I wrote on that subject, called "Rising from the Ashes: Kenyan Artists and Peace Activists Re-Create Community from Conflict," which was a feature story in the arts and development journal, "artishake", Issue #8. If you click onto the "Art4Development" page of our site, and follow the link at the bottom of the page, the full article is also there.

      I hope that many of us will contribute creativity and thoughtful spirit to your own project. Engaging people via expression of their deepest values is marvelous, and can show the universality of hopes, fears, love, anger, and so much more that motivates and informs human behavior. I'm sure that specific connections can be made between Kenya and the south side of Chicago, both in terms of how violence comes about, and how it can be ameliorated if not transformed.

      There is also a terrific project that is building bridges between Brooklyn, USA and Kenya: called Brookenya, it is another example of how the local can become the global, and vice versa, especially via creativity. See http://www.brookenya.org I know the creators-organizers, if anyone is interested in being in touch with them.

      On the Kickstarter note, a recent film on HIV/AIDS, men, and condoms--about which I posted to Holistic Helping--was helped by the Kickstarter project. A $10,000 amount was raised to translate the film into another African language (it is already in several African languages), so that several million more people can more easily understand the messages of the film. Kickstarter is a great facilitator, and I hope you and we will be able to utilize it accordingly.

      Peace and conflict are still very present in the Kenyan context (as they are worldwide) as issues, and what happened in 2008 might still occur again. This is why the peace-related efforts of individuals and entities remain so imperative, and lessons from the past are so important to (re-)learn and apply to the current time.

      With blessings and happiest holidays to all, and a fervent hope that there will truly be peace on earth, as well as goodwill to all wo/men. Love and greatest appreciation, Janet