33RE: [globalvillages] Have this from Samwel After Africs source II/the way ahead for Sam

    Feb 6, 2006
      Dear Sam and All,

      Hello and great report!  I have not been able to raise KAIPPG in Mumias for a couple weeks, so I think there are email problems (there is some infrastructure upgrading being done there, which is good for the longer term, but it is disrupting what little communications there have been to date!).

      I will be happy to run this by James and others then, and hope to connect you in Mbita with a larger whole (in fact, perhaps with GRASSUP, of which Kennedy Onyango and CISSO/Edtec are a part...this is a nonprofit coalition whose members use ICTs/ODL to address income-generation, nutrition/agriculture, and environmental education).

      I will not have time for the next few weeks or a month to address any details of what you've said below, as I am hard up against several deadlines during this time which require my attention. However, what I would suggest is that you create an outline/timeline for all of what you have mentioned below, to include guesstimates on finances and equipment needed, on what can be accomplished when, the varying projects you have in mind, and partners.

      This is on the order of a "logical framework"....do you know about those?  Many grants require that format/outline (basically boxes representing times, stages of project development, et al). I can send you a sample as needed.

      A "business plan", for at least one of things you want to do--and possibly something "integrated", ie with several interlocking activities--will be good to develop. Are there some among us here experienced in doing that?

      I also suggest learning about and connecting with people/orgs and activities related to FOSS in Kenya. Here are some useful urls, and read more abt a FOSS conference in Nairobi towards the end of February!

      http://www.i4donline.net/oct04/untapped_full.asp (a good article on FOSS in Kenya)

      Thanks much and looking forward to talking further and creating plans of action! All best wishes and blessings, Janet