Re: Longest NHL suspensions

  • Houda
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 26, 1999
      (Dana wrote)
      >I was wondering about Babe Pratt's banishment from the NHL. Wasn't it
      >lifetime?

      ---> No Dana, it wasn't. Although your question is good.
      Babe was only suspended for the remainder of the season at that time
      (from January 1946) and then his suspension was lifted.
      Two seasons later Don Gallinger and Billy "The Kid" Taylor were banned
      for life,accused of the exact same things as far as I know. (gambling on games)
      Pratt's suspenson was handed out by Red Dutton.
      Gallinger's and Taylor's was handed out by Clarence Campbell which may
      explain why they got punished so severly.
      Campbell,who BTW was a member of the legal staff during the N�rnberg trials,
      didn't mind handing out the stiff punishments..

      Pat
    • Jeff Chapman
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 1999
        > From: "Houda" <patrick.houda@...>
        >
        > (Dana wrote)
        > >I was wondering about Babe Pratt's banishment from the NHL. Wasn't it
        > >lifetime?
        >

        > ---> No Dana, it wasn't. Although your question is good.
        > Babe was only suspended for the remainder of the season at that time
        > (from January 1946) and then his suspension was lifted.
        > Two seasons later Don Gallinger and Billy "The Kid" Taylor were banned
        > for life,accused of the exact same things as far as I know. (gambling on games)
        > Pratt's suspenson was handed out by Red Dutton.
        > Gallinger's and Taylor's was handed out by Clarence Campbell which may
        > explain why they got punished so severly.
        > Campbell,who BTW was a member of the legal staff during the N�rnberg trials,
        > didn't mind handing out the stiff punishments..
        >
        > Pat

        Pat,

        Pratt was originally barred from all organized hockey for gambling on games.
        However, due in part to his star power and the fact that he only bet on his Leafs
        to win, Dutton lifted Pratt's suspension after sixteen days. Taylor and Gallinger
        were suspended by Campbell for gambling on their own teams to lose, as well
        as associating with gamblers, notably James Tamer, a paroled bank robber.
        Interestingly enough, Gallinger was said to have been offered a tryout with
        baseball's Philadelphia Phillies in 1950, but that was never forthcoming. Seven
        years earlier, Phils owner Bill Cox was banned from baseball for betting on his
        own team to win.

        Jeff Chapman
        President
        Chapman Sports Research
        jchap@...

        WATCH FOR ULTIMATE HOCKEY IN BOOKSTORES OCTOBER 1999

        "The important thing is that we should perform rather
        than watch others. By absorption in the pursuit we forget
        ourselves, and it fills the void between the child and
        the man."
        - Roger Bannister