Re: Cleveland, "Chuk" team

  • RFK
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
      Don't forget Dennis Sobchuk, a big star in the WHA.

      How come the NHL decided to move into Columbus, and not the Gund Arena in
      Cleveland?

      From: Dave Soutter <delby20@...>
      To: hockhist@onelist.com <hockhist@onelist.com>
      Date: January 31, 2000 7:55 PM
      Subject: Re: [hockhist] Cleveland, "Chuk" team

      >From: Dave Soutter <delby20@...>
      >
      >Dale Yakiwchuk.
      >
      >Frank TEX Liebmann wrote:
      >
      >> From: Frank TEX Liebmann <liebmann@...>
      >>
      >> > Re: All-time teams. How about an all "chuk" team. In goal, Terry
      >> > Sawchuk, with Clint Malarchuk as back up. Form a squad from Dale
      >> > Hawerchuk, Orest Kindrachuk, Larry Bolonchuk, Steve Konowalchuk, Gary &
      >> > Ken Yaremchuk, and Larry Romanchych (pronounced Romanchuk). Trouble is,
      >> > there's not much of a defense.
      >>
      >> There was a Yakachuk (sp?) who also played for the Winterhawks. (as did
      >> Malachuck and the Yaremchuks).
      >>
      >> Did anybody know that gary didn't start skating until age 9?

      >> GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 0.0 percent
      >> Intro APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
      Here</a>

      >GET A NEXTCARD VISA, in 30 seconds. Get rates as low as 2.9 percent
      >Intro or 9.9 percent Fixed APR and no hidden fees. Apply NOW.
      Here</a>

    • Marc Foster
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
        RFK wrote:

        > From: "RFK" <RFK@...>
        >
        > Don't forget Dennis Sobchuk, a big star in the WHA.
        >
        > How come the NHL decided to move into Columbus, and not the Gund Arena in
        > Cleveland?

        The Gunds own the arena and the Cavaliers. They also own the Sharks, and
        can't own two teams. Thus, an NHL team in Cleveland would have to be
        owned by someone else, and I doubt the Gunds would want a NHL team not
        in their control playing in their arena. The Lumberjacks aren't the
        economic threat to the Cavs that an NHL team would be.

        Of course, they could always move the Seals, I mean, Sharks, back to
        Cleveland.

        Marc

        * Marc Foster mfoster@... *
        * President, The Hockey Research Association www.hockeyresearch.com *
        * End the frustration of stats collecting, donate to the HRA archive. *
      • MoreyH@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
          Actually Marc, that's not necessary the case.

          We're all familiar with SMG, the bastards that almost forced the Pens out of business and are wrecking havoc with the Isles/Nassau Colisseum.

          SMG is led by Ed Snider, who also happens to own the Philadelphia Flyers. It wouldn't have surprised me at all to see the Gunds lease the arena to another NHL franchise. Maybe they were saving Cleveland for if the Sharks would have failed. :)

          Morey
        • Erik
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
            MoreyH@... wrote:

            > From: MoreyH@...
            >
            > Actually Marc, that's not necessary the case.
            >
            > We're all familiar with SMG, the bastards that almost
            > forced the Pens out of business and are wrecking havoc with the Isles/Nassau Colisseum.
            >
            > SMG is led by Ed Snider, who also happens to own the Philadelphia Flyers.

            According to a conversation I had with a former president of the Pens,
            Snider is no longer involved directly with SMG.

            During the Pens bankruptcy hearings, SMG did put in a bid for the team.
            Had Snider still been a part of the organization, this would have been
            impossible, since he also owns the Flyers.

            Erik Johnson
          • MoreyH@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 1, 2000
              Erik,

              I stand corrected - sort of. According to the Flyers official web site (sorry Pete - I know yours is better), Snider started SMG as a subsidiary of Spectacor. I forgot the small print, which said Snider sold most of these entities as they peaked in value.

              Which means, give a loan to the Pens in 91 when Snider owned SMG, in return for a long-term high-priced lease, sell the company to people who may or may not have hockey experience but know business, walk away, and then watch as the spun off company tries to keep the bill of goods it was sold, in this case the Penguins lease.

              In SMG's case, when it's apparant that the franchise has no funds, try to put in a bid for the franchise to keep your asset, which in SMG's case is the arena lease. If the Pens fold or move to Portland, the lease is worth nothing, and since I'm sure Snider didn't just give SMG away, SMG loses the lease, that Snider's management negotiated and then increased SMG's worth on the market. All in all, it seems like a sleazy/typical NHL-ownership manouver.

              SMG is made out to be the bad guy, while the profits from the Islander and Penguin deals flow into the Flyers, since Snider was able to artificially increase the selling price of SMG.

              So while SMG is not owned by Snider currently, the Flyers are still profiting from the Penguin and Islander deals.

              BTW, according to the Flyers official site, Snider took control of the Spectrum in 71, started PRISM to televise the Flyers games, got a franchise for Ticketmaster in the Philadelphia-area, bought HTN to transmit sporting events to satellite and WIP radio which was the first all-sports radio station.

              A couple of comments: first, with all this activity, it's easy to see where the Flyers get their wealth. They've controlled every aspect of attending a hockey game, from the price of parking to the price of a beer to listening to the post-game show with Gene Hart.

              Second, there's no way to trust the Flyers books over the years. If the team has been showing too much profit over the years, just increase the rent to Spectacor or reduce the broadcast fees for the games.