Bohemia into LIHG

  • Gherardo Bonini
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 1999
      Dear friends,
      does somebody knows the steps leading to the affiliation of Bohemia
      into LIHG (the ancestor of IIHF) ? Did UK or France took the
      initative to add Czechs to arising international federation ? Were
      there secret contacts ? How much the simultaneous affiliation of
      Bohemia to FIFA marked in that manoeuvre ?
      Thank you in advance
      Gherardo Bonini
    • Houda
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 1999
        From: "Gherardo Bonini" <bonini@...>

        Dear friends,
        does somebody knows the steps leading to the affiliation of Bohemia
        into LIHG (the ancestor of IIHF) ? Did UK or France took the
        initative to add Czechs to arising international federation ? Were
        there secret contacts ? How much the simultaneous affiliation of
        Bohemia to FIFA marked in that manoeuvre ?
        Thank you in advance
        Gherardo Bonini

        Gherardo,I don't know if this answers your question,but I'll give it a try...first a little background...
        Bohemia /Czechia was ruled under the Hungarian / Austrian monarchy until October 28,1918
        In 1908 the Czechs were very upset when the Austrian football (soccer) federation managed to expel the Czechs
        out of FIFA (the international football union).
        On the 1906 FIFA congress (in Bern) the Czechs became temporary members of FIFA,this led to a boycott of all Czech
        clubs by Austria.
        During the 1907 FIFA congress in Amsterdam the Czechs became a permanent member of FIFA.
        It didn't last for long though. During the summer of 1908 the FIFA congress was held in Vienna (Austria) and it was
        apparent that the Austrian monarchy pressed the foreign delegats to expel the Czechs from FIFA.
        The Austrians were pretty powerful in Europe at that time and nobody wanted to clash with them.
        At the same time as the Czechs were expelled from FIFA the Czech football players were banned to play outside
        their own country.

        All this happened very shortly before the Czechs created their own hockey federation.
        (Bohemia was / is a part of the Czech republic,in the same sense as Sicily is a part of Italy,or California is a part of
        USA)
        The main purpose by the creation of the hockey federation was to get the attention from the other countries in
        Europe as well as show that they could handle their own federation.
        The driving force behind all this was Emil Proch�zka a prominent figure in sport circles. He was the founder of the
        Czech hockey federation.
        Mr. Proch�zka had a very good contact with LIHG's (IIHF's) founder,the Jamaican born Frenchman Louis Magnus
        who promised Proch�zka that the Czechs would become members of the LIHG (Ligue Internationale de Hockey Sur Glace)

        The creation of the Czech hockey federation was extremely complicated and the representatives for the various
        clubs had to meet four times (December 11,18,30,1908 and January 13,1909) before they were
        able to select a president.
        The problem was that there was great rivalry between some of the clubs and nobody wanted to select a president
        from a rival club. The rivalry was especially intense between the two Prague clubs (Slavia and Sparta).
        A rivalry that is still fierce today (in football,hockey and other sports)

        Before the four main meetings they had preliminary meeting at U Karla IV (At Karl the IV) - A restaurant
        the following people were there

        Club Delegates

        Novomestsk� SK - Herites och Benes
        SK Vlasim - Chalupa och Hufnag
        AC Sparta - Kracik och Falt�n
        AFK Vrsovice - Hatina och Rombald
        Slavij Zizkov - Vlk
        Mlad Boleslav - Meisner
        SK Slavia - Proch�zka och Bohutinsk�
        Union Zizkov - Ben�tsk�
        Viktoria Zizkov - Moscinsk� och Stokl
        BZK Praha - Potucek
        SK Smichov - Richter och Poniatovsk�

        After this first meeting a commitee was selected (Herites,Proch�zka,Ben�tski,Kracik and Potucek)
        I'm not going to get in to the details of the selection,but during the second meeting (December 11) at a restaurant named
        U Platize (at Platiz) 30 delegates from 12 clubs came to listen to Emil Proch�zka who told the delegates that the
        Czechs had become members of the LIHG (November 15,1908).
        So the Czechs were members of LIHG before they even had their own hockey federation.

        During that second meeting Dr.Petrik from Sparta was selected as a temporary president,he and the entire
        commitee resigned at the third meeting on December 30.

        The Czech newspaper N�rodni Politika from early 1909 (January 2-3) wrote this after the fourth meeting

        " There is a saying that you get it done in three times,but this wasn't enough for the people who wants to
        found the Czech Ice Hockey Federation. After three meetings they decided that they needed a fourth,
        where they will replace the resigned president and commitee.
        The idea is that all hockey clubs who wants to be in the federation will be in the commitee,something
        that was decided during the third meeting on December 30.
        By this everybody hopes that the tensions between some clubs will ease up a little.
        it's already decided that Dr.Petrik and Mr. Proch�zka will not be run for the presidency."

        During the fourth meeting the commitee was Jaroslav Potucek (BZK),Emil Proch�zka (Slavia),Meisner
        (Mlad� Boleslav) and Herites (Novo Mestski SK).
        These guys immidiately went to work and accepted an invitation to a tournament in Chamonix.
        It was decided that a national team would be send and not a club team.
        It was also decided that a Czech delegate would go to Chamonix for the LIHG congress.
        The delegate sent to Chamonix was a young medical student named Josef Gruss.
        He was the goalie for the Czechs in their first real international ice hockey game.
        Gruss had also tried to form a Czech Ice Hockey Federation years earlier but had failed.

        The Czechs became the second member of the LIHG (behind France)

        France was the most active ice hockey country in the early 1900's. The founder of LIHG ,Louis Magnus (1897-1969)
        was a popular editor of the magazine "Les Sports d'hiver". He was also a great athlete. He was the French
        speedskating champion and got really hooked on ice hockey. As a journalist he tried to popularize the sport around
        Europe.
        It was through his initiative that LIHG was founded on May 15-16,1908.
        The gentlemen who met was Mavrogrodato (Great Britain),Mellor and Dufour (Switzerland), De Clerq and Malaret
        (Belgium) and Magnus,Planque and Van der Hoeven (France).
        The first applications started to appear soon after.
        France (October 20),Czechia (November 15),Great Britain (November 19),Switzerland (November 23)
        and Belgium (December 8).These five nations are regarded as the founders of LIHG (IIHF)
        IIHF (International Ice Hockey Federation)
        Germany became the sixth member (September 19,1909)

        The diference between hockey's LIHG and football's FIFA was that the members in the LIHG didn't need the
        backing from any head of state,something that was very important to the Czechs on the background of what
        happened in FIFA when Austria got them booted.
        Emil Proch�zka's gamble to make an application to the LIHG even before an ice hockey federation had been
        founded back home in Czechia proved to be the right one.

        Gherardo,these times were really complicated and it is very difficult to give you a perfect explanation on
        what was going on,but I hope this will give you a little better idea of how Czechia,later Czechoslovakia
        became members.
        Bohemia as you referred to was a part of Czechia. It was never an independent country,even though
        they played as Bohemia. (Bohemia is the latin word for Czechia as you probably know since you're
        Italian)

        Pat (who feels like a politician here) :o)
      • Michael B
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 1999
          Patrick,

          Fascinating summary of Bohemia/Czech hockey.

          One typo (no doubt) though. I'm assuming the dates on Louis Magnus are wrong. I don't think an 11 year old would have been a driving force in founding a federation. :v)

          France was the most active ice hockey country in the early 1900's. The founder of LIHG ,Louis Magnus (1897-1969)
          was a popular editor of the magazine "Les Sports d'hiver". He was also a great athlete. He was the French
          speedskating champion and got really hooked on ice hockey. As a journalist he tried to popularize the sport around
          Europe.
          It was through his initiative that LIHG was founded on May 15-16,1908.

          Michael
        • Houda
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 31, 1999
            (Michael B wrote)
            Fascinating summary of Bohemia/Czech hockey.

            One typo (no doubt) though. I'm assuming the dates on Louis Magnus are wrong. I don't think an 11 year old would have been a driving force in founding a federation. :v)

            ---> Hehe...you're absolutely right Michael. I got it all wrong there.
            He was born 1881 and not 1897.
            He was born in Kingston,Jamaica 1881 and moved to France in 1889.
            He also died in 1950 and not 1969.
            I apologize for that. Thanks for noticing it.

            Pat