Re: Minor League Hall of Fame

  • MoreyH@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
      Frank,

      If we took all of the builders out who screwed hockey, the Hall of Fame would
      be a lot more empty.

      Starting with:

      Bill Wirtz - saved hockey in Chicago and did more to harm hockey in the last
      30 years than any man alive

      Harold Ballard - if prison records don't bar one from admission, does that
      mean there is room for Bruce McNall? Another way to put this is a book he
      should have written: How To Take A NHL Dynasty And Turn It To A
      Laughingstock And Circus Freak Show So That When I Die No One Will Know Who
      Owns It.

      Any of the Norrises. The Norris House League of the 1950s is the reason
      we're even debating whether or not minor leaguers should be in the Hall.

      John Ziegler. Ended the NHL-WHA war and ruled an additional 10 years based
      on that singular achievement.

      Frank Calder - gave us a trophy - You should see how he ran the NHL. If he
      ran a bank he'd be in prison. He would yank players from one team and plkace
      them on another just for the heck of it. And it didn't matter if they were
      NHL or minor league. He also strong-armed the WCHL and PCHA out of business,
      which turned hockey from a national sport into a regional one.

      Just for starters off the top of my head...

      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
        Henry Brabham-If it weren't for Henry thre would have been no modern ECHL
        nor quite possibly would there be any of the other lower minors. He gave the
        blue print for success by bankrolling most of the early league.

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
          Ah somebody mentioned Fred "no kid" Glover.

          Well how about Jimmy Bartlett from the Providnce Reds

          Mike
        • DSNTIM@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
            In a message dated 11/2/1999 12:27:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
            orangeco@... writes:

            << Joe Daggett Like Bob Chase, I've never heard any of his broadcasts.
            However, I remember reading a continual stream of highly
            positive
            postings of his past broadcasts from Seattle to >>
            -My first memory of sports on radio is Joe Daggett, for yours the person I
            compared all other broadcasters to.

            Tim Waldal
          • James Karkoski
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 3, 1999
              >From: "William Underwood" <wausport@...>
              >
              >Henry Brabham-If it weren't for Henry thre would have been no modern ECHL
              >nor quite possibly would there be any of the other lower minors. He gave the
              >blue print for success by bankrolling most of the early league.

              Which brings to mind another one, Pat Kelly the ex-pez of the ECHL. A
              perenial selection to the league All-star team while being a playing
              coach in the EHL he coached some of the best teams ever in that league.
              That lead him into coaching in the WHA and the NHL and was involved in
              the ACHL which was the forerunner of the ECHL.

              James
            • orangeco@xxxxxxx.xxx
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 3, 1999
                James Karkoski wrote:

                > >From: "William Underwood" <wausport@...>
                > >
                > >Henry Brabham-If it weren't for Henry thre would have been no modern ECHL
                > >nor quite possibly would there be any of the other lower minors. He gave the
                > >blue print for success by bankrolling most of the early league.
                >
                > Which brings to mind another one, Pat Kelly the ex-pez of the ECHL. A
                > perenial selection to the league All-star team while being a playing
                > coach in the EHL he coached some of the best teams ever in that league.
                > That lead him into coaching in the WHA and the NHL and was involved in
                > the ACHL which was the forerunner of the ECHL.
                >
                > James

                Bill and James,

                Both your suggestions are excellent. I remember when I first heard of a
                new lower minor league forming to include San Diego, the plan was not to
                emulate the spendthrift IHL. Instead, the ECHL was to be looked upon as
                the blueprint for success. Overall, the decision proved a wise one for
                the WCHL. I never expected the lower minor leagues to thrive like it
                been doing, but the ECHL and those who imitated it have proven me wrong
                many times over. I hope they both get into the HHOF in the builders
                category. They both deserve the honor.

                Dana