Re: Minor League Hall of Fame

  • orangeco@xxxxxxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
      RSulli7798@... wrote:

      > From: RSulli7798@...
      >
      > Here is a top 10 list of people involved in the minors who deserve "hall of
      > fame" status.
      >
      > Eddie Shore (Springfield)
      > John Brophy (player-coach)
      > Ted Garvin(player-coach)
      > Tom Lockhart(Eastern League president)
      > Willie Marshall(American League player)
      > Jody Gage(American League player)
      > Scott Gruhl(IHL career goal-scoring record holder)
      > Bob Chase(Voice of the Fort Wayne Komets since 1953)
      > Ken Ullyot( former coach-owner of the Fort Wayne Komets)
      > Jack Butterfield(Former AHL president)
      >
      > All input is welcome. This is just a way to bring up some names from the
      > past and stir up some fond memories.

      OK so I'm showing my western bias.....

      Guyle Fielder The all-time WHL scorer. One of the 2 or 3 greatest
      players Tommy McVie ever saw. Punch Imlach tried to
      pry him away to the Maple Leafs without success when he
      was rebuilding the team because Fielder wouldn't leave
      Seattle.
      Hal Laycoe The WHL coach (of the Buckaroos)
      Al Leader (HHOF member)
      Fred Hume (HHOF member)
      Art Jones Second leading all-time scorer of the WHL.
      Harry Glickman Founded the Portland Buckaroos, built the Memorial
      Coliseum, GM of team during its most successful years
      with 3 Patrick Cups and lots of high reg.season finishes.
      Bob Breitbard Founder of the WHL San Diego Gulls and builder of the
      San Diego Sports Arena. The original Gulls was one of
      the most financially successful minor league teams ever.
      The Gulls were the most popular sports team in San Diego
      during their heyday despite competition against the major
      league Chargers, Padres, and Rockets. Sports Illustrated
      wrote an article about their huge success at the box
      office contrasting the Gulls to the NHL attendance flops
      up north with the Kings and Seals.
      Joe Daggett Like Bob Chase, I've never heard any of his broadcasts.
      However, I remember reading a continual stream of highly positive
      postings of his past broadcasts from Seattle to
      Phoenix and everywhere in between, so he's included.
      Phil Maloney What was he doing in the minors?
      Phil and Cliff Henderson The Henderson Bros. built the old Pan
      Pacific Auditorium in LA back in the mid 30's. They ran the
      Southern California Hockey League and by 44-45 were
      the co-founders of the PCHL with the SCHL merging into
      the new southern division of the PCHL. Phil was also the first
      president of the league.

      Outside of the west, I would include.....

      Jim Hendy (HHOF member)
      Pete Bactor and Frank Mathers Defensive legends in the AHL
      Bill Sweeney Unfortunately the bottle prematurely cut off several more
      great seasons and a chance at the NHL. Still he had 3
      consecutive 100 point seasons when it was still rare to
      do so along with the scoring titles for those seasons.
      Tommy Burlington, Art Stratton, Ab DeMarco Sr., Steve Kraftcheck, etc
      etc

      And finally, the best overall.....

      Freddie Glover
    • Frank TEX Liebmann
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
        > Harry Glickman Founded the Portland Buckaroos, built the Memorial
        > Coliseum, GM of team during its most successful years
        > with 3 Patrick Cups and lots of high reg.season finishes.

        And screwed hockey once he got an NBA franchise. I don't know about this one.
      • James Karkoski
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
          >From: RSulli7798@...
          >
          >Here is a top 10 list of people involved in the minors who deserve "hall of
          >fame" status.
          >
          >Eddie Shore (Springfield)
          >John Brophy (player-coach)
          >Ted Garvin(player-coach)
          >Tom Lockhart(Eastern League president)
          >Willie Marshall(American League player)
          >Jody Gage(American League player)
          >Scott Gruhl(IHL career goal-scoring record holder)
          >Bob Chase(Voice of the Fort Wayne Komets since 1953)
          >Ken Ullyot( former coach-owner of the Fort Wayne Komets)
          >Jack Butterfield(Former AHL president)

          Two players which I think should be in the "real" Hall of Fame are Guyle
          Fielder and Freddie Glover. Both minor league stars in the era of the 6
          team NHL.

          As for Gage and Gruhl, I'm not sure I'd agree with them being on the
          list. They were career minor leaguers in the era when that meant you were
          a minor leaguer. That is if this list is for people who deserve to be in
          the HoF in Toronto.

          Some other coaches and managers, Hal Laycoe at Portland,Terry Reardon who
          was coach and later GM at Providence and Baltimore of the AHL.Lou Pieri
          who owned the Providence Reds up into the 60s.

          Eddie Shore is in the Hall of Fame by the way. So is Tom Lockhart and
          Jack Butterfield.As os another minor league manager, James Hendy, who was
          GM of the AHL Barons for years.Bill and Bun Cook were legendary AHL
          coaches who are also in the Hall of Fame as well.Frank Mathers at Hershey
          is already in the Hall too. Al Leader, the long time prez of the WHL is
          in as well.

          Bob Chase is an excellent choice.Anybody who grew up listening to hockey
          on the radio in the US would recognize Chase's voice in a minute. His
          radio station, WOW had some phenomena amount of wattage which always made
          a Komet's game an option for the evening.That station came in better than
          most NHL radio stations.

          Another possible manager might be John Mitchell who ran the Johnstown
          Jets for a long time and who worked in the minors for the Red Wings for
          decades. Don Hall was an excellent player for the Jets.

          How about Gordie Sinclair of Seattle in the WHL. Perannial all-star who
          never played in the NHL. Lucien Dechene was a goalie who played decades
          upon decades in the minor, mainly in the WHL.

          James
        • MoreyH@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
            Frank,

            If we took all of the builders out who screwed hockey, the Hall of Fame would
            be a lot more empty.

            Starting with:

            Bill Wirtz - saved hockey in Chicago and did more to harm hockey in the last
            30 years than any man alive

            Harold Ballard - if prison records don't bar one from admission, does that
            mean there is room for Bruce McNall? Another way to put this is a book he
            should have written: How To Take A NHL Dynasty And Turn It To A
            Laughingstock And Circus Freak Show So That When I Die No One Will Know Who
            Owns It.

            Any of the Norrises. The Norris House League of the 1950s is the reason
            we're even debating whether or not minor leaguers should be in the Hall.

            John Ziegler. Ended the NHL-WHA war and ruled an additional 10 years based
            on that singular achievement.

            Frank Calder - gave us a trophy - You should see how he ran the NHL. If he
            ran a bank he'd be in prison. He would yank players from one team and plkace
            them on another just for the heck of it. And it didn't matter if they were
            NHL or minor league. He also strong-armed the WCHL and PCHA out of business,
            which turned hockey from a national sport into a regional one.

            Just for starters off the top of my head...

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
              Henry Brabham-If it weren't for Henry thre would have been no modern ECHL
              nor quite possibly would there be any of the other lower minors. He gave the
              blue print for success by bankrolling most of the early league.

              >Here is a top 10 list of people involved in the minors who deserve "hall of
              >fame" status.
              >
              >Eddie Shore (Springfield)
              >John Brophy (player-coach)
              >Ted Garvin(player-coach)
              >Tom Lockhart(Eastern League president)
              >Willie Marshall(American League player)
              >Jody Gage(American League player)
              >Scott Gruhl(IHL career goal-scoring record holder)
              >Bob Chase(Voice of the Fort Wayne Komets since 1953)
              >Ken Ullyot( former coach-owner of the Fort Wayne Komets)
              >Jack Butterfield(Former AHL president)

              Two players which I think should be in the "real" Hall of Fame are Guyle
              Fielder and Freddie Glover. Both minor league stars in the era of the 6
              team NHL.

              As for Gage and Gruhl, I'm not sure I'd agree with them being on the
              list. They were career minor leaguers in the era when that meant you were
              a minor leaguer. That is if this list is for people who deserve to be in
              the HoF in Toronto.

              Some other coaches and managers, Hal Laycoe at Portland,Terry Reardon who
              was coach and later GM at Providence and Baltimore of the AHL.Lou Pieri
              who owned the Providence Reds up into the 60s.

              Eddie Shore is in the Hall of Fame by the way. So is Tom Lockhart and
              Jack Butterfield.As os another minor league manager, James Hendy, who was
              GM of the AHL Barons for years.Bill and Bun Cook were legendary AHL
              coaches who are also in the Hall of Fame as well.Frank Mathers at Hershey
              is already in the Hall too. Al Leader, the long time prez of the WHL is
              in as well.

              Bob Chase is an excellent choice.Anybody who grew up listening to hockey
              on the radio in the US would recognize Chase's voice in a minute. His
              radio station, WOW had some phenomena amount of wattage which always made
              a Komet's game an option for the evening.That station came in better than
              most NHL radio stations.

              Another possible manager might be John Mitchell who ran the Johnstown
              Jets for a long time and who worked in the minors for the Red Wings for
              decades. Don Hall was an excellent player for the Jets.

              How about Gordie Sinclair of Seattle in the WHL. Perannial all-star who
              never played in the NHL. Lucien Dechene was a goalie who played decades
              upon decades in the minor, mainly in the WHL.

              James

              This has been a Hockey History List mailing
              <A HREF=http://www.enol.com/~liebmann/hockey/hockhist.htm>Our Homepage</A>
              The Hockey History List is the official mailing list of the Hockey Research
              Association (HRA)
            • MikeBonatt@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
                Ah somebody mentioned Fred "no kid" Glover.

                Well how about Jimmy Bartlett from the Providnce Reds

                Mike
              • DSNTIM@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 1999
                  In a message dated 11/2/1999 12:27:25 AM Pacific Standard Time,
                  orangeco@... writes:

                  << Joe Daggett Like Bob Chase, I've never heard any of his broadcasts.
                  However, I remember reading a continual stream of highly
                  positive
                  postings of his past broadcasts from Seattle to >>
                  -My first memory of sports on radio is Joe Daggett, for yours the person I
                  compared all other broadcasters to.

                  Tim Waldal
                • James Karkoski
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 1999
                    >From: "William Underwood" <wausport@...>
                    >
                    >Henry Brabham-If it weren't for Henry thre would have been no modern ECHL
                    >nor quite possibly would there be any of the other lower minors. He gave the
                    >blue print for success by bankrolling most of the early league.

                    Which brings to mind another one, Pat Kelly the ex-pez of the ECHL. A
                    perenial selection to the league All-star team while being a playing
                    coach in the EHL he coached some of the best teams ever in that league.
                    That lead him into coaching in the WHA and the NHL and was involved in
                    the ACHL which was the forerunner of the ECHL.

                    James
                  • orangeco@xxxxxxx.xxx
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 1999
                      James Karkoski wrote:

                      > >From: "William Underwood" <wausport@...>
                      > >
                      > >Henry Brabham-If it weren't for Henry thre would have been no modern ECHL
                      > >nor quite possibly would there be any of the other lower minors. He gave the
                      > >blue print for success by bankrolling most of the early league.
                      >
                      > Which brings to mind another one, Pat Kelly the ex-pez of the ECHL. A
                      > perenial selection to the league All-star team while being a playing
                      > coach in the EHL he coached some of the best teams ever in that league.
                      > That lead him into coaching in the WHA and the NHL and was involved in
                      > the ACHL which was the forerunner of the ECHL.
                      >
                      > James

                      Bill and James,

                      Both your suggestions are excellent. I remember when I first heard of a
                      new lower minor league forming to include San Diego, the plan was not to
                      emulate the spendthrift IHL. Instead, the ECHL was to be looked upon as
                      the blueprint for success. Overall, the decision proved a wise one for
                      the WCHL. I never expected the lower minor leagues to thrive like it
                      been doing, but the ECHL and those who imitated it have proven me wrong
                      many times over. I hope they both get into the HHOF in the builders
                      category. They both deserve the honor.

                      Dana