Early Canadiens HNIC telecasts

  • coolbrul
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 2 10:53 AM

      While researching the early days of Hockey Night in Canada (specifically 1952-1954) on TV, I note that there was just one channel in Montreal, CBFT. Until the launch of English language channel CBMT on January 10, 1954, CBFT had some programs in French and some in English, I'd say about a 60 French-40 English split. As for Canadiens HNIC telecasts, I don't know how that worked out.

      Obviously, once there was a French specific channel, which became CBFT and an English specific channel, CBMT, the issue was moot. Rene Lecavalier would do the Habs games on CBFT and Danny Gallivan did the English role on CBMT.

      My question is: how were the telecasts handled pre-1/10/54? Were they:

      A) Exclusively in French?

      B) Alternating weeks in French, then the following week in English? or

      C) Part of the game called by say, Lecavalier and then, after the second intermission (remember in those days the games were joined in progress, roughly an hour after the game started) called by Gallivan?

      Anyone with knowledge on the format that would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!!

      Timmy B

    • zpmboca@...