Glen Sonmor and Slap Shot

  • MoreyH
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2013
      I haven't read the book "Old Time Hockey" yet, but I found this interesting tidbit in The Hockey News that I thought I'd share.

      Glen Sonmor was the son-in-law of Johnny Mitchell, who was the GM of The Charleston Chiefs, I mean Jonestown Jets of the Federal League, I mean Eastern League when Sonmor was the GM/Coach of the Minnesota Fighting Saints.

      The character Joe McGrath was based on Mitchell, including the part of dealing with Eddie Shore (Mitchell was once Shore's assistant in Springfield) and Jack Adams (Mitchell also worked for the Red Wings in the 40s and 50s, and was replaced when Jimmy Skinner was changed from Head Coach to Head Scout. Mitchell was hired by Shore the summer he was replaced in Detroit.

      Just goes to show you how the hockey world works: Father-in-law manages for the minor league affiliate of son-in-laws team.