Re: [hockhist] Rink dimensions?

  • mvigne@...
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
      As for Montréal, the Wanderers played at the Westmount Arena (200x85),
      while the Maroons built the Forum (200x85). The Canadien played at different
      locations: Westmount Arena, Jubilee (shorter, but no size known to me),
      and the Mont-Royal (about 180x75, but not sure) before moving to the Forum.

      Michel Vigneault

      In a message dated 31/05/13 23:39:32 Est (heure d’été),
      MisterEarle@... writes:

      Hi, I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction of finding an
      answer to this question if not answer it outright.

      I've been looking into the history of rink dimension rules. The first
      thing I'm trying to track down is what the ice dimensions were for defunct NHL
      teams -- Ottawa Senators, Montreal Wanderers, Montreal Maroons, Quebec
      Bulldogs, Hamilton Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates, the old Border Cities Arena in
      Windsor....the reason I ask is because there was a great deal of celebration
      of the growing regularization of rink sizes mid-century (during the "close
      as possible to 200 x 85" rule), when only two of the six NHL teams had
      "standard" 200 x 85 surfaces. Makes it sound like the older rinks were more
      disparately sized.

      The second question I'm curious about is this: the early rulebooks call
      for ice sizes that vary from 112 x 58 to 250 x 116. I've got two 1924 guides
      that call for a "minimum" surface of 170 x 70, a "suggested" surface of 175
      x 75, and an "ideal" surface of either 185 x 85 or 200 x 85 (different in
      the two guides). My guess is that at least some of these suggested
      dimensions must have been based on "empirical data," that is, on the actual rinks
      used by teams participating in various leagues and associations. Does anyone
      know if this is in fact true, and if so, which rinks are the ones being
      referenced by the dimensions?

      In case anyone is interested, I stumbled across a Hockey News piece
      (10/29/47 pg 15) that gives the dimensions of the rinks in the Western Canada
      Senior Hockey League: Edmonton 210 x 85; Calgary 208 x 83 ½; Regina 192 x 84;
      Saskatoon 185 x 85; Lethbridge 186 ½ x 80

      Many thanks for any tips or assistance.

      Best,
      David

    • MoreyH
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3, 2013
        I believe it was the old Mutual Street Arena which set the standard at 200x85.

        In the PCHA, Vancouver was 210x 85. Portland, New West and Seattle were smaller.

        Morey

        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "misterearle" <MisterEarle@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I'm wondering if someone can point me in the direction of finding an answer to this question if not answer it outright.
        >
        > I've been looking into the history of rink dimension rules. The first thing I'm trying to track down is what the ice dimensions were for defunct NHL teams -- Ottawa Senators, Montreal Wanderers, Montreal Maroons, Quebec Bulldogs, Hamilton Tigers, Pittsburgh Pirates, the old Border Cities Arena in Windsor....the reason I ask is because there was a great deal of celebration of the growing regularization of rink sizes mid-century (during the "close as possible to 200 x 85" rule), when only two of the six NHL teams had "standard" 200 x 85 surfaces. Makes it sound like the older rinks were more disparately sized.
        >
        > The second question I'm curious about is this: the early rulebooks call for ice sizes that vary from 112 x 58 to 250 x 116. I've got two 1924 guides that call for a "minimum" surface of 170 x 70, a "suggested" surface of 175 x 75, and an "ideal" surface of either 185 x 85 or 200 x 85 (different in the two guides). My guess is that at least some of these suggested dimensions must have been based on "empirical data," that is, on the actual rinks used by teams participating in various leagues and associations. Does anyone know if this is in fact true, and if so, which rinks are the ones being referenced by the dimensions?
        >
        > In case anyone is interested, I stumbled across a Hockey News piece (10/29/47 pg 15) that gives the dimensions of the rinks in the Western Canada Senior Hockey League: Edmonton 210 x 85; Calgary 208 x 83 ½; Regina 192 x 84; Saskatoon 185 x 85; Lethbridge 186 ½ x 80
        >
        > Many thanks for any tips or assistance.
        >
        > Best,
        > David

      • Andrew Smith
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 4, 2013
          To add: the old Indianapolis Fairgrounds Coliseum, used off-and-on by AHL, IHL, CeHL (old & new) & USHL teams from 1939-2012 had a 210x90 rink. The USHL Ice's first GM called it " Lake Indianapolis."

          I believe the old Tulsa rink (CeHL I) was 185x85.