Boxscores and jerseys on NHL.com

  • Ralph Slate
    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2013
      I'm not sure if anyone will be terribly interested in this, but I have
      noticed that the boxscores on NHL.com do not appear to be tracking a
      player's jersey number correctly with respect to mid-season changes.

      I have a program that samples the jersey numbers every day, noting
      changes. The changes are sometimes just mistakes on various websites,
      but sometimes they reflect a player who actually changes jerseys.

      One such example is a player named J.T. Brown who played a few games
      with Tampa in 2011-12. He was listed with jersey #49 from 4/1 until 4/3
      on Tampa's website. Then he was listed with #19. If you go to this
      boxscore from the 4/2 game, you will see he is listed with #19:

      http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20112012/ES021187.HTM

      If you go to the highlights from this game on NHL.com, you will see him
      playing with #49 at about 5 seconds into the game.

      http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011021174

      I have, however, seen examples where the changes are reflected accurately.

      In this age of databases, if you don't design properly, there are very
      few artifacts left of history because a single update can wipe out all
      historical records. I have also been noticing this at the junior A
      hockey level, where on occasion a player's profile gets "reused", and a
      player who may have played a few games with a team suddenly is wiped
      out, and his history is assigned to a new player who really didn't play
      those games.

      Ralph

      --
      Ralph Slate