1970-71 Red Wings

  • Craig Wallace
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2013
      Thought you'd all enjoy this. Was Ned Harkness the worst ever pro hockey coach?

      Craig

      http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1084495/index.htm

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2013
        Not sure if hew was the worst but he as not a guy who fit in well with the
        pros. Ironically I remember my campus visit to Union before my senior year
        of high school.I met Ned God he was impressive as a COLLEGE guy.you went
        into that office and saw the pictures of him with anyone who is anyone from
        the hockey world! A 17 year old was just in awe! No other college coach (in
        terms not only of having been in the NHL but his Cornell experience too) had
        that pedigree!. I was no huge recruit but he gave me the attention of a
        first rounder.about an hour talking to my folks and me in his office alone
        and then I got the grand tour etc. An incredible guy when he was back in his
        natural habitat.the NCAA!

        But he just didn't get what made pros tick nor could they get him. And it is
        not easy for an outsider to understand pros. Add on he was from a world they
        had no knowledge of or respect for on those days and you had dynamite! A
        lot of college guys would and DO struggle with pros, it is such a different
        place than college! The long schedule, the fewer practices, the fact that
        players are empowered as they could demand a trade or hold out.a different
        sort of motivation.

        _____