Any knowledge of NHL 1969 territorial claims to players?

  • PAULS
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 29, 2012
      Hello fellow HOCKHIST members.

      This is my first post on this group.

      I am having tough time finding out how New York Rangers obtained Rick Newell, Dave Hrechkosy, and probably John Bednarski as territorial (re-)claims to city of Winnipeg in 1969.

      This process not to be confused with Montreal having priority claims to Rejean Houle and Marc Tardiff in 1969 Amateur Draft?

      Any info would be helpful.

      Thanks.
    • Swanrvr80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
        Rick Newell was a native of Winnipeg, Manitoba and spent two years with the Winnipeg Rangers of the MJHL before enrolling at the University of Minnesota-Duluth. He was originally re-claimed by the New York Rangers as a territorial exemption in 1969 but never made the club. Newell was traded to the Detroit Red Wings in May, 1972.

        John Bednarksi spent the 1971/72 season with the Winnipeg Jets, then signed as a free agent with the New York Rangers and then was in the American Hockey League for two years.

        I couldn't find anything on Dave Hrechkosy.
        Dave Hrechkosy.

        I am having tough time finding out how New York Rangers obtained Rick Newell, Dave Hrechkosy, and probably John Bednarski as territorial (re-)claims to city of Winnipeg in 1969.

        This process not to be confused with Montreal having priority claims to Rejean Houle and Marc Tardiff in 1969 Amateur Draft?

        Any info would be helpful.

        Thanks.

      • Paul Shallenberger
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
          Thank you for the info provided on the two players.

          I am trying to find out how the Rangers obtained the exclusive rights to Newell, Hrechkosy, and Bednarski through some sort of territorial exemption "draft".

          These players were not products of the New York Rangers' organization and were not taken in any amateur drafts.

          But somehow in 1969 the Rangers were allowed to claim them because of a tie to Winnipeg.

          These players were signed to professional contracts in 1971 or 1972.

          Anyone else have some info?

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
            Do you have any details about other claims and the rules for it? This is one
            of two great mysteries of that era.there was also the "Internal Amateur
            Draft", I only have ever heard of Dunc Wilson going in it but no list or
            real explanation of exactly how it worked.This would be great stuff to get
            details on.

          • Paul Shallenberger
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
              I have no info on the 1969 process other than the three names (Rick Newell, Dave Hrechkosy, and John Bednarski) who became property of the New York Rangers when they signed pro contracts in 1971/72 and that they had a connection to Winnipeg.

              Some online information mentions "re-claims" and territorial exemptions.

              So I am appealing to the hockey historians on any info they can provide.

              You mention the 1968 Special Internal Amateur Draft in which goaler Dunc Wilson become Philadelphia Flyer property after being chosen from a Boston Bruins sponsored team (Oshawa Generals).

              I have found two other names of players who may have the same arcane origin into professional hockey:
              Gerry Hart, first NHL team Detroit Red Wings, last amateur team Flin Flon Bombers (67-68), and Joe Zanussi, also Detroit via Swift Current Broncos (67-68).

              Ok you NHL history buffs. Please let me know if you can help solve the mysteries.

            • Rob Swiniarski
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2012
                The Detroit Red Wings sponsored the Flin Flon Bombers in the mid-1960's, so Gerry Hart was Detroit property.  Chris Worthy, Al Genovy and Tom Gilmore were in the same boat.  I believe all were born before or up to 1948 and would have been grandfathered from the NHL Amateur Draft.

                Rob in 801