NHL realignment-Detroit to the Eastern Conference

  • mhdibiase
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 18, 2011
      I was watching hockey on Versus last night and the broadcasters floated a trial balloon of Detroit going to the Eastern conference in place of Winnipeg moving west.

      The question I have is in which Eastern Division would Detroit go to?

      My guess would be the Northeast Division (where they would play with fellow Original Six teams Montreal, Toronto, and Boston).

      Question is how would that impact the alignment of the other Eastern conference teams?

      Interestingly 1-2 of the broadcasters were not keen on the idea. Jeremy Roenick shared my idea of sending Nashville to the Southeast in place of Winnipeg.

      Another trial balloon offered up on the broadcast was the idea of going to four divisions based on time zones.

      Problem with that idea is as follows:

      # of teams in EST: 17
      # of teams in CST: 6
      # of teams in MST: 4
      # of teams in PST: 3

      One wonders if the NHL will abandon the geographic nomenclature of the divisions and go back to naming the divisions symbolically instead of geographically?

      Because if you send Detroit to the East then the ripple effect will be more pronounced whereas if you send Nashville (or Dallas) east then the effect is minimized. That's my belief.

      I know other members mentioned time zone problems if you send Nashville to the East but consider this: the NHL Central right now has two teams (Detroit and Columbus) in the EST whereas the other 3 teams are in CST.

      One wonders if they might create a Midwest Division instead? (Detroit, Columbus, Pittsburgh, Chicago, St. Louis?)

      Also don't forget the Phoenix problem as well? If the NHL can't get a ownership team to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix then where do the Coyotes move?

      It's going to get very, very interesting what moves the NHL does make.

      If Detroit does go East then that will impact the Eastern Conference standings enormously given Detroit's power and strenth.

      One thing for certain if Detroit moves East then that helps Nashville big time. They would only have Chicago to worry about when competing for the Central division title (unless Dallas is moved to the Central?)

      Any thoughts from the membership?

      Matt
    • MoreyH
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2011
        My first thought is that Vancouver is in the Pacific time zone, not Mountain, and that Phoenix straddles both because they do not believe in Daylight Savings Time.

        PT (Van, SJ, LA, Ana)
        MT (Phx, Col, Cgy, Edm)
        CT (Wpg, Min, Nash, Dal, Chi, StL)

        A 1-hour difference is not that big of a deal, even for youngsters, but a 3-hour difference is huge, and a 2-hour difference is stretching things.

        So, if you're concerned about time zones, make the west a 14-team conference, move Phoenix to the Pacific and Minnesota and Winnipeg to the Mountain, and let's talk about something else...Columbus in the west is ludicrous, and Detroit doesn't belong here either.

        Morey