NHL players overseas in WWII?

  • misterearle
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2011
      I'm wondering if anyone knows of a list of NHL players who saw active combat duty during World War II. I know that Jack Gelineau was awarded the British Empire Medal for gallantry for saving the life of a fellow crew member by pulling him from a burning aircraft. Hockeycentral.com notes that "it is difficult to name one NHL regular among the scores who entered the Canadian and American armed forces who died in military service." But surely they weren't all playing in amateur service leagues....wondering if anyone knows of a record.

      Many thanks.

      David