A movie about the 1982 Canucks

  • mhdibiase
    Message 1 of 14 , May 29, 2011
      I was watching the youtube footage of the famous Roger Neilson towel incident during the 1982 playoffs.

      It got me to thinking.

      A good little movie could be made about the Canucks improbable 1982 playoff run.

      One could start from when Roger Neale got suspended; Neilson taking his place; the winning streak starting; Neale deciding not to reclaim his head coaching position; the Canucks catching fire.

      Think of the characters involved: Neale, Roger Neilson, Tiger Williams, Richard Brodeur.

      You could have the towel incident and the movie ending with the Canucks earning their first Stanley Cup finals appearance.

      It could make a nice 90 minute to two hour film.

      What does the membership think?

      Matt
    • Brad Kurtzberg
      Message 2 of 14 , May 29, 2011
        If it's done right, it definitely has some potential....you have to
        establish what a big underdog they were in the playoffs that year...of
        course, the Islanders "ruin" the ultimate happy ending to the story but...

        On 5/29/2011 7:10 PM, mhdibiase wrote:

        > I was watching the youtube footage of the famous Roger Neilson towel
        > incident during the 1982 playoffs.
        >
        > It got me to thinking.
        >
        > A good little movie could be made about the Canucks improbable 1982
        > playoff run.
        >
        > One could start from when Roger Neale got suspended; Neilson taking
        > his place; the winning streak starting; Neale deciding not to reclaim
        > his head coaching position; the Canucks catching fire.
        >
        > Think of the characters involved: Neale, Roger Neilson, Tiger
        > Williams, Richard Brodeur.
        >
        > You could have the towel incident and the movie ending with the
        > Canucks earning their first Stanley Cup finals appearance.
        >
        > It could make a nice 90 minute to two hour film.
        >
        > What does the membership think?
        >
        > Matt

      • mhdibiase
        Message 3 of 14 , May 29, 2011
          Thanks, Brad but like I said the film would end with them winning the conference finals against Chicago and not show the Stanley Cup finals at all.

          Mostly it's a personality play: Neilson making his name as a coach. Tiger Williams one of the biggest brawlers in NHL history; Richard Brodeur playing the greatest he ever did.

          The unlikeliest heroes and the fact that Neilson created a tradition with his act.

          I figure a Canadian company should do it. No American firm would ever touch such a story.

          Matt

        • sealshockey@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 29, 2011
            Agreed

            From: "mhdibiase" <mhdibiase@...>
            Sender: hockhist@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 23:15:57
            To: <hockhist@yahoogroups.com>
            Subject: [hockhist] Re: A movie about the 1982 Canucks

          • francz39@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 14 , May 29, 2011
              This is something the CBC would do, but I'm sure they would believe that the 1993 Leafs playoff run or the Gary Leeman-Missy Iafrate affair would give them a better ratings bonanza.

              Rob in 905
              Go 'Nucks!

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 14 , May 30, 2011
                It would be a good Canadian TV thing. Purely hockey movies don't do well
                down here and stand no chance to do much at all unless there is another plot
                to it where hockey is more incidental, it is just not a hockey country. When
                you look at it even movies about baseball like that are more or less purely
                cable events like "61*" and "The Bronx Is Burning". Even the Leeman/Iafrate
                thing would struggle, the most you could expect is it might get a run on
                LIFETIME or done for Canadian TV and told from a woman's perspective.it
                might even do better as an adult film. :-) Plus the idea for titles for
                either version boggle the imagination.have some fun."Double Shifted" etc!
                :-)

                A movie that could do well in Canada and maybe even have a cult US following
                would be one about the senior teams who repped Canada in the worlds in the
                50's. The way they barn stormed and the fact that these guys were not pros
                or even glamorous amateurs but more regular guys from regular small towns
                out into this odd lime light supposed to win. The characters would seem real
                and there would be a comedic aspect off ice.regular guys touring Europe on
                this athletic crusade, the cultural clashes the inevitable
                misadventures.when you read the REAL tales they are wild ! The WHA has a ton
                of stories too that could be crafted into a tale and might have
                appeal..again a lot in Canada and the Slap Shot like aspects might even have
                a cult down here.

              • francz39@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 14 , May 30, 2011
                  Love the idea about the senior teams. The Whitby Dunlops have the most name recognition, but the Penticton Vees might make for a more entertaining movie.

                  Rob in 905
                  Go 'Nucks

                  On 2011-05-30, at 10:28 AM, "William Underwood" <wausport@...> wrote:

                  > It would be a good Canadian TV thing. Purely hockey movies don't do well
                  > down here and stand no chance to do much at all unless there is another plot
                  > to it where hockey is more incidental, it is just not a hockey country. When
                  > you look at it even movies about baseball like that are more or less purely
                  > cable events like "61*" and "The Bronx Is Burning". Even the Leeman/Iafrate
                  > thing would struggle, the most you could expect is it might get a run on
                  > LIFETIME or done for Canadian TV and told from a woman's perspective.it
                  > might even do better as an adult film. :-) Plus the idea for titles for
                  > either version boggle the imagination.have some fun."Double Shifted" etc!
                  > :-)
                  >
                  > A movie that could do well in Canada and maybe even have a cult US following
                  > would be one about the senior teams who repped Canada in the worlds in the
                  > 50's. The way they barn stormed and the fact that these guys were not pros
                  > or even glamorous amateurs but more regular guys from regular small towns
                  > out into this odd lime light supposed to win. The characters would seem real
                  > and there would be a comedic aspect off ice.regular guys touring Europe on
                  > this athletic crusade, the cultural clashes the inevitable
                  > misadventures.when you read the REAL tales they are wild ! The WHA has a ton
                  > of stories too that could be crafted into a tale and might have
                  > appeal..again a lot in Canada and the Slap Shot like aspects might even have
                  > a cult down here.

                • Michael Poplawski
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 30, 2011
                    On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 01:12, Brad Kurtzberg <sealshockey@...> wrote:

                    > If it's done right, it definitely has some potential....you have to
                    > establish what a big underdog they were in the playoffs that year...of
                    > course, the Islanders "ruin" the ultimate happy ending to the story but...

                    http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/NHL_1982.html

                    The 1982 Canucks playoff run is a great story, but it's not about underdogs.
                    Opportunity knocked, and the Canucks came to the door.

                    The Canucks had home ice against the Flames, who were five games under .500
                    that year.

                    The underdogs that year were the LA Kings and St. Louis Blues, who knocked
                    out the Oilers and North Stars, respectively, in the best-of-five opening
                    round. The latter were very good teams--the Stars were in the 1980 semis and
                    1981 finals, and the Oilers history from 1983 on, everybody should know.

                    So, after the first round, the Canucks, with a 30-33-17 record, were the
                    best team remaining in the Campbell Conference, and had home ice against the
                    Kings. (I don't know why the Blackhawks had home ice against the Canucks in
                    the Conference Final. Anyone remember?) The Canucks were missing captain
                    Kevin McCarthy, but I think they were otherwise healthy, and as much as I
                    like Harry Neale, the Canucks had someone else who could step in and take
                    over the reins.

                    When a team wins three playoff series, there is always drama, memorable
                    scenes and heroes, and it was fun watching it unfold for a team that had
                    never really won anything. But the idea that the Canucks achieved something
                    particularly remarkable that year, or shouldn't have expected to beat the
                    teams they did before they finally came up against a good team, well, that's
                    fantasy.

                    But, take heart, fantasy movies are their own genre, so cast some great
                    people to play Jim Nill and Ron Delorme, and you might have something!

                    Michael Poplawski
                    Victoria, BC

                  • John Edwards
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 30, 2011
                      On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Michael Poplawski <
                      michael.poplawski@...> wrote:

                      > So, after the first round, the Canucks, with a 30-33-17 record, were the
                      > best team remaining in the Campbell Conference, and had home ice against
                      > the
                      > Kings. (I don't know why the Blackhawks had home ice against the Canucks in
                      > the Conference Final. Anyone remember?)

                      There were coin tosses before the season to determine home ice in the
                      Conference finals and the Stanley Cup Final. The Norris Division won, so
                      they got home ice.

                      This Vancouver Sun article ("Home ice advantage really no advantage")
                      mentions it:
                      http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=ifIdVpG6JtcC&dat=19820427&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

                      I'm not sure if the plan was to alternate home ice for subsequent seasons
                      (Edmonton did have home ice for the Campbell final in 1983), and I don't
                      know when the plan was abandoned for the Conference Finals. It appears to
                      have only lasted three seasons for the Stanley Cup final.

                      John

                      --
                      John Edwards
                      "You can insure against the weather, but you can't insure against

                    • DAVE SOUTTER
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 30, 2011
                        Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                        From: Michael Poplawski <michael.poplawski@...>
                        Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 23:05:50
                        To: <hockhist@yahoogroups.com>

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 31, 2011
                          Marc Crawford was on the roster for Vancouver in 1982 as well.

                          Matt

                          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "DAVE SOUTTER " <dsoutter@...> wrote:

                          > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                        • DAVE SOUTTER
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 31, 2011
                            Matt:

                            You may be thinking of Bob Crawford, an ex-Golden Eagle who is the brother of Marc Crawford. Bob played for St. Louis and Hartford, and also had a cup of coffee with Washington and the Rangers.

                            There is that brotherly connection, I suppose!

                            That season, the Canucks also featured the last NHLer who played during the old WHL days (with the Seattle Totems) in Harold Snepsts.

                            --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com <mailto:hockhist%40yahoogroups.com> , "DAVE SOUTTER " <dsoutter@...> wrote:

                            > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

                          • mhdibiase
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 31, 2011
                              Dear Dave:

                              Marc Crawford was part of that 1982 team. I checked Hockey Reference. He played half the season with the Canucks and 14 games in the playoffs. He was there. He always said Roger Neilson was a big influence on him.

                            • DAVE SOUTTER
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 31, 2011
                                Matt:

                                Right, I realize Marc Crawford played for the Canucks that season. I apparently
                                misunderstood your post--I thought you were perhaps associating Marc Crawford
                                as an ex-player with the Salt Lake Golden Eagles. As I had indicated in a previous
                                post, there were three ex-Golden Eagles on that team in '82. And Bob Crawford, who
                                had played alongside Nill, Currie and Heinz, did not play for the Canucks.

                                Sorry for the misunderstanding.

                                Dave

                                To: hockhist@yahoogroups.com
                                From: mhdibiase@...