Dallas Smith - 1977 Team Canada Vienna

  • craigw@mountaincable.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2010
      Just wondering how Dallas Smith ended up on Team Canada in the 1977 World
      Hockey Championships played at Vienna?

      I understand he left the Bruins late in the 1976-77 season due to a
      "conflict." What was the conflict? As well in my material on that
      tournament I came across a quote from Harry Sinden asking how Smith, who
      apparently was suspended by Boston, could play (and he played very well in
      Vienna) for Team Canada. Was he in fact suspended by Boston and if so, did
      the IIHF simply not recognize NHL suspensions? And if that is the case why
      didn't players like Don Murdoch who were suspended not simply head over to
      play in Europe?

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010
        Not so sure about the details but I'd say that a few things could have come
        into play.

        1-As you say the relationship between the NHL and IIHF was just evolving at
        the time.

        2-I believe that Smith was suspended over a contractual issue, Murdoch was
        suspended over a drug issue, possession of cocaine which is a different
        animal altogether.

        3-Smith went over for a tournament, going over to actually play a season for
        team while under contract is another issue.

        4-If indeed it was a contractual issue there was a question about Smith's
        status, there was no question about Murdoch he was under contract.

        And finally "Murder" had always been a handful off ice. The stories are the
        stuff of legend! :-) I'm not so sure that many teams were all that wild
        about taking him on. Doubly so as this time it was not just funny Peck's Bad
        Boy stuff it was violating the law.

      • MoreyH
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2010
          Just speculation here, but I don't think the Bruins ever suspended Smith. Smith walked away from the Bruins on Mar 2, saying he wasn;t performing up to his own standard.

          Bruins stopped paying him. Contract is void...He could play anywhere.

          Morey

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
            Contemporary reports also describe him as having retired from the
            Bruins.

            There was an issue between Smith and the Bruins in the summer of 1976.
            Smith's contract expired. He was apparently unable to get the deal he
            wanted from any other team, NHL or WHA, so he re-upped with Boston,
            literally on the eve of the 1976-77 season, for a cut in pay.

            He signed with the Rangers in December '77, another hint that his
            departure from the Bruins in March rendered him a free agent.

            When he left the Bruins, he referred to his performance as well as
            personal issues.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2010
              That would explain it, he was technically not under contract.

            • Craig Wallace
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 1, 2010
                Thanks everyone!