Bobby Clarke draws blood in Prague 1972

  • Craig Wallace
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2010
      We all know what Clarke did to Valery Kharlamov in Moscow in 1972. I have to say though I have seen the Canada/Czech game from 1972 a couple of times and never seen this play. Yikes - Clarke could have blinded him!

      Craig

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bHJj7avd4&feature=related

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
        No big surprise Clarkie was out and out dangerous in the NHL too at times.

      • francz39
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
          Only difference, with the Flyers, Clarke always had Ed Van Impe to apply the butt end or spear. On Team Canada, there was nobody else who played to the same code, so Clarkie had to take matters into his own hands.

          Rob

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
            Which reminds me of another reason why there's no need to induct Paul
            Henderson. Valery Kharlamov and his broken leg were inducted into the
            HHOF in 2005. If, as John Ferguson and Clarke seemed to believe, it
            was so all-fired important that this guy be, um, "neutralized,"** then
            the reason why Canada "won" the 1972 series has already been enshrined.

            **Ron Ellis disagrees. He seems to think he was doing a fine job
            checking Kharlamov. Incidentally, if there were such a thing as Bill
            Jamesian (Jacobean?) similarity scores in hockey, would Ellis and
            Henderson not score north of 900 out of 1,000? Hell, I'd give old
            number 6 the edge on two-way ability.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2010
              Only the Czechs didn't have a Battleship Bob Kelly or Tiger Williams to
              answer to.

            • puckerings
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2010
                Wow. I'd never seen or heard of that before. Right in front of the ref too. Any shred of respect I might have once had for Clarke just said bye-bye.

                Iain.