Edmonton Oilers seek control of Copps Coliseum

  • Craig Wallace
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2010
      From today's Toronto Star;

      The article states something I have heard before here in Hamilton (where I live) - that is a NHL team here, even in Copps Coliseum would be the 5th most lucrative in the NHL. Such a team would make far more money than teams like Phoenix (a total basket case), Nashville, Atlanta (another basket case) etc. So while I understand the league being "ticked off" at the way Jim Ballsille acted last year and them not wanting to upset the Maple Leafs and to a lesser extent Buffalo, the fact is a Hamilton franchise would add a lot of wealth to the NHL. Teams like Phoenix hurt their brand as they simply "bleed red ink" and force all the other teams to prop them up. It is like the NHL and Bettman say "we must avoid putting our product into markets that will buy it (like Hamilton, Winnipeg, Quebec City, Europe) and try to sell our product and lose hundreds of millions of dollars in markets like Phoenix that don't want it nor have interest in it." What type of business plan is that?

      So why hasn't Bettman sat the Leafs and Sabres down and said "look the NHL is a business and we are here to make money. Hamilton will make us lots of money. They are coming in - now you all talk to the Hamilton people and make a deal."

      The way the NHL operates sometime I wouldn't hire them to run a lemonade stand!

      Craig

      http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/830065--edmonton-oilers-seek-control-of-copps-coliseum

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 30, 2010
        Simple Craig they want the expansion money for a second TO team someday that
        will even after the Leafs get their pound of flesh give everybody a share.
        There have been about FIVE groups who want a team in Metro TO, after
        Balissillie NO One talked Hamilton and even he was using it to play for time
        to build his own barn.. When it comes time to move a team it will be
        Winnipeg or Quebec once they get their barn who gets it. And I can't
        criticize Bettman there. It is actually SMART business.go to places where
        you redress a wrong and PR nightmare and have no issues for current markets
        then go into the market where there is a huge demand and competitive bid
        scenario that could send the franchise fee through the ceiling! Now yes
        they should admit defeat at some point and move on and will have to at some
        point. But Phoenix is complex. Here is a place that built a building just
        for hockey and singed a lease. Now it was bad for all parties, wrong place
        to build not a great lease but if they leave they make anyplace that builds
        a new barn for them fear their leaving. They may still have to move but by
        all rights it should be to Winnipeg. In all honesty, while I am one of the
        BIGGEST supporters of just what you say, part of me feels badly about
        Phoenix, I say "why THEM of all people" because of ALL of the exotic spots I
        always thought that Phoenix might be able to make it. There is a big
        transplant population there.

        Having said all of that while yes I am not so sure that you could not have 2
        teams in TO and one in Hamilton thought it would be a stretch. I also can
        see that it is more prudent ton have two and while morally it might not make
        sense as I agree that Hamilton ought to have a team from a business stand
        point a second TO team makes far more sense.