Re: bogus WHL Johnny Canuck logo?

  • howes_elbow
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 25, 2010
      This is the first Johnny Canuck logo. The same one featured on Luongo's mask. It appeared around 1958:

      http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2404883410049237702PoLXxg

      This is the second Johnny Canuck logo. It seems to have appeared around 1963:

      http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2418329840049237702tQwpjs

      http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2690564750049237702NOoRLm

      http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TwAbZhMGVEw/Smx7l0WQ09I/AAAAAAAAIIo/BIVL9ob665I/s400/maloney.jpg

      The "bogus" logo looks like #2 but it is not the same:

      http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/whl/vancan.gif

      --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "DAVE SOUTTER" <dsoutter@...> wrote:

      > The Vancouver Canucks of the old WHL did use the "Johnny Canuck" bearded lumberjack on skates logo on their unis at least once in the late 50s or early 60s. I will try to find a pic of this for you. And, it does seem like they used the same logo on official team pucks.
      >
      > I have a collection of old WHL programs and the Johnny Canuck logo is routinely used to represent the Canucks on the team directory pages of several of those magazines.
      >
      > I'm not sure what "two other" logos you are referring to. Can you provide a link?
      >
      > --Dave Soutter

    • DAVE SOUTTER
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2010
        Thanks for the links.

        I don't see a significant difference in the logos, other than one Canuck is facing right and the other is facing left. It may be that the Canucks used a couple of variations on the same general idea through the years. The third "bogus" logo looks like a sketch of the second. It may be that this actual illustration was never used in the Canucks marketing. I have seen this and other old WHL logos that seem to be rough sketches of the originals.

        --Dave Soutter

        This is the first Johnny Canuck logo. The same one featured on Luongo's mask. It appeared around 1958:

        http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2404883410049237702PoLXxg<http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2404883410049237702PoLXxg>

        This is the second Johnny Canuck logo. It seems to have appeared around 1963:

        http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2418329840049237702tQwpjs<http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2418329840049237702tQwpjs>

        http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2690564750049237702NOoRLm<http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2690564750049237702NOoRLm>

        http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TwAbZhMGVEw/Smx7l0WQ09I/AAAAAAAAIIo/BIVL9ob665I/s400/maloney.jpg<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_TwAbZhMGVEw/Smx7l0WQ09I/AAAAAAAAIIo/BIVL9ob665I/s400/maloney.jpg>

        The "bogus" logo looks like #2 but it is not the same.

        http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/whl/vancan.gif<http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/logos/whl/vancan.gif>

        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com<mailto:hockhist%40yahoogroups.com>, "DAVE SOUTTER" <dsoutter@...> wrote:

        > The Vancouver Canucks of the old WHL did use the "Johnny Canuck" bearded lumberjack on skates logo on their unis at least once in the late 50s or early 60s. I will try to find a pic of this for you. And, it does seem like they used the same logo on official team pucks.
        >
        > I have a collection of old WHL programs and the Johnny Canuck logo is routinely used to represent the Canucks on the team directory pages of several of those magazines.
        >
        > I'm not sure what "two other" logos you are referring to. Can you provide a link?
        >
        > --Dave Soutter

      • howes_elbow
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2010
          I might be a little detail oriented, but I see a dramatic difference between all three. From what I've seen only the first two were used by the team officially and they were not interchanged. The other WHL teams seem to have exclusively used the first two logos on their programs. The third logo looks like a bad sketch of the 1963 logo.

          Maybe I should ask hockeydb.com where that came from. I believe that's where it originated on the web.

          If you happen to know where I could find larger versions of the first two logos or can source the third I would be grateful.

          thanks

          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "DAVE SOUTTER" <dsoutter@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the links.
          >
          > I don't see a significant difference in the logos, other than one Canuck is facing right and the other is facing left. It may be that the Canucks used a couple of variations on the same general idea through the years. The third "bogus" logo looks like a sketch of the second. It may be that this actual illustration was never used in the Canucks marketing. I have seen this and other old WHL logos that seem to be rough sketches of the originals.
          >
          > --Dave Soutter
        • francz39
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25, 2010
            The logo on hockeydb.com looks very familiar to me as a prototype which the NHL Canucks floated -- I want to say in the spring of 2002 -- when they were contemplating bringing Johnny back as a secondary logo. I know when I first saw it I copied the image to my hard drive ... but that PC is in my basement.

            Rob

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25, 2010
              The logo on hockeydb.com looks very familiar to me as a prototype which the NHL Canucks floated -- I want to say in the spring of 2002 -- when they were contemplating bringing Johnny back as a secondary logo. I know when I first saw it I copied the image to my hard drive ... but that PC is in my basement.

              Rob

              --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "howes_elbow" <maleestrus@...> wrote:
              > I might be a little detail oriented, but I see a dramatic difference between all three. From what I've seen only the first two were used by the team officially and they were not interchanged. The other WHL teams seem to have exclusively used the first two logos on their programs. The third logo looks like a bad sketch of the 1963 logo.
            • Ralph Slate
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 1, 2010
                I got the Canucks logo from a vintage hockey program from the 1964-65
                season. I seem to recall it was printed in a large format on the front
                of the program, almost positive it was a Canucks program (small chance
                it was from another team when the Canucks were visiting). I found a
                66-67 Portland Buckaroos program and the logo looks very similar, but
                with less detail.

                I can attest to the fact that I scanned that logo myself, I did so prior
                to August 12, 1997 (the earliest filedate on my PC, the date I
                transferred from a different PC). I did not sketch the logo or change it
                in any way. It would take me months to find the exact program I scanned
                it from though. The other identical logos have been taken from the file
                available on hockeydb.

                Ralph