04/08/71 MTL 7 at BOS 5

  • Heather & Wayne
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2, 2010
      Does anyone have an indepth view of what happened to the Bruins in this game after leading 5-1? Any comments from interviews etc. from former players?

      Thanks
    • Gordon Jennings
      Message 2 of 4 , May 2, 2010
        The story I have heard is that prior to going on the ice for the 3rd period,Yvan Cournoyer who I
        believe was the Capt ordered the coaches out of the room,telling all the players to remain in
        their seats,he then grabed his stick by the blade and poked each player in the CH crest telling
        every player if he did not want to play for it in the 3rd they should stay in the dressing room.
        The result was they came out and smoked the Bruins for 6 goals and won the game.

        As an aside I was at game 3 in Montreal on the Saturday night and when the Habs came on
        the ice for the pregame warm up I thought the old Forum was going to shake off its
        foundation. In all the games I saw in the Forum, and I had season tickets for many years,
        I never hear the place as noisy as that night. As I remember they won game 3 and lost
        game 4 going back to Boston tied 2 games to 2. But I think it was game 2 that really
        took the heart out of the Bruins

        Gord.

      • northernale18
        Message 3 of 4 , May 2, 2010
          In his autobiography Espo claims that Tom Johnson told the team to play safe in the third period, in effect telling the Bruins to abandon their style of play. Espo seems to hint that Johnson was responsible. A Globe and Mail article a few days later mentions that Johnson called a voluntary practice the day after the game and none of the regulars showed up. Conclusion: Johnson was too lax, the Bruins were too arrogant.

          That's a great Cournoyer story BTW.

          Robert

        • zpmboca@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , May 2, 2010
            Wasn't Beliveau still the captain at that point? It was his final year.