Re: [hockhist] Re:NHL vs. KHL : Bettman's Take

  • arthur chidlovski
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 31, 2010
      Thanks, Bill. It's exactly what I was looking for. There is almost nothing in North American press about the KHL and what I read in Russian media sounds almost like an oldtime sports propaganda quickly baked by the government and sports authorities.

      As an entertainment, here is a breakaway skill contest from the 2010 KHL All Star games that took place in Minsk Belarus:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRrLkEEMT6w&feature=player_embedded

      Regards,

      ____ Arthur Chidlovski ____
      http://www.chidlovski.com/

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
        Haven't seen this mentioned and I thought it was worthy of discussion.

        The KHL is now available on ESPN360.com in the USA. It's a 2-year deal,
        according to ESPN's Steve Levy and Barry Melrose, who are calling the games
        from Bristol.

        The first game was the KHL All-Star game last Saturday in Minsk (available
        now in the Replay section on ESPN360). Two AK Bars games feature this week.
        before the KHL's Olympic break: Wednesday vs. Barys (11 AM Eastern) and
        Friday vs. Avangard (11 AM Eastern).

        Levy was enthusiastic about how "ESPN is back in the hockey business" during
        the All-Star broadcast. so I wonder. is ESPN trying to make a statement
        here, or is the KHL, or both? :)

        Rob

      • Michael Levin
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
          ESPN hates Time Warner. No 360 for us.

          On Feb 1, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Rob Hoffmann wrote:

          > Haven't seen this mentioned and I thought it was worthy of discussion.
          >
          > The KHL is now available on ESPN360.com in the USA. It's a 2-year
          > deal,
          > according to ESPN's Steve Levy and Barry Melrose, who are calling
          > the games
          > from Bristol.
          >
          > The first game was the KHL All-Star game last Saturday in Minsk
          > (available
          > now in the Replay section on ESPN360). Two AK Bars games feature
          > this week.
          > before the KHL's Olympic break: Wednesday vs. Barys (11 AM Eastern)
          > and
          > Friday vs. Avangard (11 AM Eastern).
          >
          > Levy was enthusiastic about how "ESPN is back in the hockey
          > business" during
          > the All-Star broadcast. so I wonder. is ESPN trying to make a
          > statement
          > here, or is the KHL, or both? :)
          >
          > Rob

        • Joep Meijsen
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 1, 2010
            I would love to watch KHL with english commentary. I currently watch matches on Nova Sport, a Czech sports channel. My knowledge of the Czech language unfortunately stops at the words 'hokej', 'budvar' and 'staropramen', so the commentators do not make much sense to me.

            On Feb 1, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Rob Hoffmann wrote:

            > Haven't seen this mentioned and I thought it was worthy of discussion.
            >
            > The KHL is now available on ESPN360.com in the USA. It's a 2-year
            > deal,
            > according to ESPN's Steve Levy and Barry Melrose, who are calling
            > the games
            > from Bristol.
            >
            > The first game was the KHL All-Star game last Saturday in Minsk
            > (available
            > now in the Replay section on ESPN360). Two AK Bars games feature
            > this week.
            > before the KHL's Olympic break: Wednesday vs. Barys (11 AM Eastern)
            > and
            > Friday vs. Avangard (11 AM Eastern).
            >
            > Levy was enthusiastic about how "ESPN is back in the hockey
            > business" during
            > the All-Star broadcast. so I wonder. is ESPN trying to make a
            > statement
            > here, or is the KHL, or both? :)
            >
            > Rob

          • arthur chidlovski
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
              They just had a huge fight in the Vityaz vs. Avangard game on January 9, 2010. The game was cancelled because there were no players left to continue the game after less than 5 minutes of the game.

              Here is a video extract:

              http://chidlovski.livejournal.com/60762.html

              Thanks,

              ____ Arthur Chidlovski ____
              http://www.chidlovski.com/

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2, 2010
                I think that the KHL wants any exposure that it can get as does anyone.as
                for ESPN.they need programming and ESPN360's ratings are no great concern to
                them.if they were really interested in hockey it would be on ESPN or the
                Deuce or would not have laughed Bettman out of their office when they talked
                and he set his price.The KHL is certainly giving them this for next to
                nothing and it is programming for 360. They are not being like the Swedes
                and Finns during the lock out who priced themselves out of exposure.

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 3, 2010
                  Yes.all they were missing was Reggie Dunlop coaching! :-) I didn't see any
                  foil did I? :-)

                • arthur chidlovski
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 5, 2010
                    Very true :-) What gets me how fast things changed in Russia - remember old Soviet hockey, state of the art hockey, national pride, no fights, no bullies. And look at it now - bench clearing brawls, "tough guys" in many teams. More entertainment less sportsmanship compared to the old days... They did learn fast :-)

                    As for the KHL, I think Bill hit right on the money about espn360, programming and potential prospective of the new league. Before this season, I read alot of interviews with former NHL players that now play in the KHL. They did sounded like those interviews were either coached or heavily edited by the reporters to show how great the new league is... Of course, there are some guys that would allow to "put words in their mouse" and some - never. One of those others is Igor Larionov and most definitely he didn't sound that overly enthusiastic about the league.

                    With all these said, as a loooooooong time fan of Balderis and Dynamo Riga, I am really glad to see the team playing and competing in a better league.

                    Cheers and Happy Friday to all!

                    ____ Arthur Chidlovski ____
                    http://www.chidlovski.com/

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2010
                      The KHL has potential. But as I said before they have to dump some baggage
                      and become a true Euro league before they will reach it. Will that happen? I
                      think that a Euro league is inevitable at some point if the NHL doesn't make
                      the brilliant discovery that hockey sells in Europe and will never do well
                      in much of the US and dump some of THEIR baggage and get over there with a
                      Euro conference! But given that they ARE the NHL they will probably need
                      their hand forced. The "N" in NHL is a hockey nation with no boundaries,
                      this is not the NBA. NL or NFL where that "N" is much more clear. At some
                      point, nay sayers aside this league has to become global under some format.
                      When you look at the hockey map it is safe to say that there are more hockey
                      fans in Europe than anyplace else. Think about it..there are only about 36
                      million Canadians.given all standards of measurement one can safely doubt
                      that there are many more than maybe 15-20 million hard core fans.just look
                      at TV ratings. In Russia alone there are that many serious fans! Now yes the
                      economies of Europe have to improve in the east as do their facilities. But
                      these are also inevitable.a country with a huge literate population like
                      Russia with all of its resources just does not keep a Third World economy
                      forever! The question is when does that change not "if"? Now will the KHL be
                      that Euro League? We shall see.they certainly have a start on infra
                      structure but they also have their issues. As I said before too many weak
                      Russian franchises, probably too many teams period, and too many overtones
                      of a Russo Centric view. A lot of the Swedish league knows a change has to
                      come but Russia is an option that they simply do not trust. There have been
                      visionaries in Finland too. If they were to agree to dump maybe 12 Russian
                      teams and merge with the folks who have been seriously considering a
                      Scandinavian Super League they would take a big step. It would only be a
                      matter of time until the Czechs and Slovaks would have to come on board and
                      then you would see the Germans and Swiss. But they need to take that bold
                      step of setting RIGOROUS financial standards and weed out the Russian
                      weaklings. Now that may happen by Matlhusian factors but that can take a
                      long time. The chances are there.Hakan Loob has about 5 teams in Sweden who
                      have been looking at Super League if you were to dump say 8 Russian clubs
                      for starters and being in 8 form Sweden and Finland it would be better. Make
                      each vote have to be over 2/3 and they would not feel as threatened by a
                      Russian majority. Then the goal would be say 3 Czech and 1 Slovak club and
                      dump the 4 weakest remaining Russian teams. THEN you look west and bring a
                      German and Swiss club in and you dump 2 more Russian teams. Keep the
                      standards high enough that you can play with it all some more as some places
                      work and others do not. Suddenly the KHL looks WAY better.not only is it a
                      stringer caliber but also more robust financially with say 10 Russian, 5
                      Swedish, 4 Czech, 2 Finnish, 1 Slovak, 1 German and 1 Swiss club. And you
                      make adjustments and even maybe even expand to say 30 ala the NHL but ONLY
                      as it makes sense. But they HAVE to break out of being just about Russia if
                      they are ever to reach their full potential just as the NHL had to
                      originally go beyond Canada and just like maybe they should be putting a few
                      teams back there now to be robust. You expand and when you over reach you
                      adjust.but the KHL has to take that next step. A lot of pompous North
                      Americans obnoxiously sneer at this stuff.just like they did at Japanese
                      cars a few decades back and who won that argument?