Re: [hockhist] Judge rejects both bids for Coyotes

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
      On 30-Sep-09, at 5:24 PM, Craig Wallace wrote:

      > As a Hamiltonian I am disappointed.

      Pray tell, why are you disappointed, and in whom?
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
        While I want to see Canada get more teams I have no issue with the judge's
        ruling. In the end it was about preserving a group's right to decide upon
        who can and can not join them and on what terms. That is an important right.
        There was no true discrimination here is was about league rules and
        territories and in a l honesty gang, when you buy a sports team that is
        precisely what you are buying. Sentimentally I stood with Hamilton but
        philosophically in this case the league was in the right. Of course it would
        be nice for them to allow outside folks to get involved in this process now
        via proper channels but that is another matter. For the issue of this case,
        as I have said many times, it was complex and of course it is not over in
        the sense of who will ultimately own this team and which creditors recover
        what.in the end he took the option that part of me thought he might of 'damn
        both of you, one of you is trying to circumvent rules to bull doze his way
        in and the other is saying screw you to a man who has lost millions, you
        deserve each other." Yes it is an NHL victory in reality but it had to be,
        this judge was not going to do anything to essentially undo the concept of
        territory for not only it and other sports leagues but ANY franchise based
        business. I will also be interested in seeing what Balisllie odes in the end
        after he is done licking the wounds if he does anything.

        Now we can finally worry about what really counts, the GAMES! And what
        better way to open than the Leafs and Habs.if tat tradition doesn't get a
        hockey fan thinking hockey nothing does!

      • Michael Levin
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
          Has anyone seen the ruling? If so, would you please provide a link to
          it? Work has me buried. I am interested in Baum's ruling.

          Based on the two press reports, Baum told the NHL to come back with a
          higher offer to Moyes. Does the mean that Baum is treating Moyes as a
          creditor?

          As I have said before, I am unsure of where Bettman is getting his
          money. I suspect he is going hat in hand to the remaining owners. Now,
          he needs to ask for more money to give to Moyes as well as money for
          the necessary (i.e., minimum) operating expenses.

          It will be interesting to see the fallout both large and small from
          Bettman's (Pyrrhic?) victory.
        • craigw@mountaincable.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
            Lloyd,

            I love living in Hamilton - it is a great place to live and to raise my
            daughters. I thought it would be great for Hamilton to get a NHL team. I
            would not have watched it but the city would support it well.

            Craig

            > On 30-Sep-09, at 5:24 PM, Craig Wallace wrote:
            >
            >> As a Hamiltonian I am disappointed.
            >

            > Pray tell, why are you disappointed, and in whom?

          • ej
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
              Michael Levin wrote:

              > It will be interesting to see the fallout both large and small from
              > Bettman's (Pyrrhic?) victory.

              Bettman may or may not survive this, but in the end, he did what he had
              to do. It certainly wasn't pretty and he had to piss off a lot of
              people in the process, but there wasn't a whole lot else he could have
              done here.
            • Pattie Anderson
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009

                http://www.scribd.com/doc/20456806/Phoenix-Coyotes-Sale-Opinion

                > Based on the two press reports, Baum told the NHL to come back with a
                higher offer to Moyes. Does the mean that Baum is treating Moyes as a
                creditor?

                Baum is treating both Gretzky and Moyes as creditors, which is part of
                his rationale for rejecting the NHL's bid, which did not pay out to
                either.

                Pattie
                --
                Pattie Anderson
                http://pattiea.com/
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                  Odds are Bettman survives. It isn't a case of him really contriving this
                  mess.

                • Michael Levin
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Thank you for posting the link. Baum's decision is a good read.

                    Baum treats Moyes and Gretzky as unsecured creditors instead of equity
                    holders.

                    As Bill pointed out, Baum preserved the NHL's ability to decide on its
                    membership. Indeed, in Baum's opinion, Basillie comes off as a Grade A
                    jackhole. By doing so, though, Baum side step the issue of the inside
                    sale.

                    I liked his hockey analogy: the NHL received the puck. Now they can
                    pass or shoot. The problem with Buam's opinion is that it doesn't
                    direct the league toward a figure for Moyes and Gretzky, nor does it
                    give a deadline. If that's not the case, if I missed something in the
                    ruling, then please provide corrected information.

                    Regardless, I believe, now more than ever, Bettman has won the battle
                    (i.e., Basillie is not an owner). Has he lost the war? The last three
                    years of the Expos existence were not a pretty product nor very kind
                    for us Expos fans.

                    Michael