Judge rejects both bids for Coyotes

  • Craig Wallace
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2009
      Just appearing in the Toronto Star:

      As a Hamiltonian I am disappointed.

      Craig

      http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/article/703440

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
        On 30-Sep-09, at 5:24 PM, Craig Wallace wrote:

        > As a Hamiltonian I am disappointed.

        Pray tell, why are you disappointed, and in whom?
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
          While I want to see Canada get more teams I have no issue with the judge's
          ruling. In the end it was about preserving a group's right to decide upon
          who can and can not join them and on what terms. That is an important right.
          There was no true discrimination here is was about league rules and
          territories and in a l honesty gang, when you buy a sports team that is
          precisely what you are buying. Sentimentally I stood with Hamilton but
          philosophically in this case the league was in the right. Of course it would
          be nice for them to allow outside folks to get involved in this process now
          via proper channels but that is another matter. For the issue of this case,
          as I have said many times, it was complex and of course it is not over in
          the sense of who will ultimately own this team and which creditors recover
          what.in the end he took the option that part of me thought he might of 'damn
          both of you, one of you is trying to circumvent rules to bull doze his way
          in and the other is saying screw you to a man who has lost millions, you
          deserve each other." Yes it is an NHL victory in reality but it had to be,
          this judge was not going to do anything to essentially undo the concept of
          territory for not only it and other sports leagues but ANY franchise based
          business. I will also be interested in seeing what Balisllie odes in the end
          after he is done licking the wounds if he does anything.

          Now we can finally worry about what really counts, the GAMES! And what
          better way to open than the Leafs and Habs.if tat tradition doesn't get a
          hockey fan thinking hockey nothing does!

        • Michael Levin
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
            Has anyone seen the ruling? If so, would you please provide a link to
            it? Work has me buried. I am interested in Baum's ruling.

            Based on the two press reports, Baum told the NHL to come back with a
            higher offer to Moyes. Does the mean that Baum is treating Moyes as a
            creditor?

            As I have said before, I am unsure of where Bettman is getting his
            money. I suspect he is going hat in hand to the remaining owners. Now,
            he needs to ask for more money to give to Moyes as well as money for
            the necessary (i.e., minimum) operating expenses.

            It will be interesting to see the fallout both large and small from
            Bettman's (Pyrrhic?) victory.
          • craigw@mountaincable.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
              Lloyd,

              I love living in Hamilton - it is a great place to live and to raise my
              daughters. I thought it would be great for Hamilton to get a NHL team. I
              would not have watched it but the city would support it well.

              Craig

              > On 30-Sep-09, at 5:24 PM, Craig Wallace wrote:
              >
              >> As a Hamiltonian I am disappointed.
              >

              > Pray tell, why are you disappointed, and in whom?

            • ej
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2009
                Michael Levin wrote:

                > It will be interesting to see the fallout both large and small from
                > Bettman's (Pyrrhic?) victory.

                Bettman may or may not survive this, but in the end, he did what he had
                to do. It certainly wasn't pretty and he had to piss off a lot of
                people in the process, but there wasn't a whole lot else he could have
                done here.
              • Pattie Anderson
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009

                  http://www.scribd.com/doc/20456806/Phoenix-Coyotes-Sale-Opinion

                  > Based on the two press reports, Baum told the NHL to come back with a
                  higher offer to Moyes. Does the mean that Baum is treating Moyes as a
                  creditor?

                  Baum is treating both Gretzky and Moyes as creditors, which is part of
                  his rationale for rejecting the NHL's bid, which did not pay out to
                  either.

                  Pattie
                  --
                  Pattie Anderson
                  http://pattiea.com/
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                    Odds are Bettman survives. It isn't a case of him really contriving this
                    mess.

                  • Michael Levin
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 2009
                      Thank you for posting the link. Baum's decision is a good read.

                      Baum treats Moyes and Gretzky as unsecured creditors instead of equity
                      holders.

                      As Bill pointed out, Baum preserved the NHL's ability to decide on its
                      membership. Indeed, in Baum's opinion, Basillie comes off as a Grade A
                      jackhole. By doing so, though, Baum side step the issue of the inside
                      sale.

                      I liked his hockey analogy: the NHL received the puck. Now they can
                      pass or shoot. The problem with Buam's opinion is that it doesn't
                      direct the league toward a figure for Moyes and Gretzky, nor does it
                      give a deadline. If that's not the case, if I missed something in the
                      ruling, then please provide corrected information.

                      Regardless, I believe, now more than ever, Bettman has won the battle
                      (i.e., Basillie is not an owner). Has he lost the war? The last three
                      years of the Expos existence were not a pretty product nor very kind
                      for us Expos fans.

                      Michael