Re: NHL Doesn't Trust Jim Balsillie

    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
      You don't need millions of Americans to "switch".just x number of CANADIANS
      who want their cities to have teams and resent Bettman. The Washington Post
      columnist is right.about the US.not Canada! And the idea is a CANADIAN
      dominated league. The goal in the US would be sheerly to get the more like
      10000 fans in the weak markets to dip to 5000 not because of another league
      to watch but rather they don't want to watch their pathetic mess of a
      franchise! The marketing is directed toward CANADA for the PRECISE reason
      that this is a topic.the NHL has teams where as the columnist accurately
      points out here are few to no fans but doesn't where there are fans.Canadian
      fans don't need hockey laced with NHL stars to come out and see it.ask any
      Leaf fan! :-) Why would customers pay for it? Because it is a chance for
      Quebec, Hamilton, Winnipeg et al to see high level hockey. Because it is a
      league that is CANADIAN and does not forget the game's roots or most loyal
      fans. And because each dollar spent on it is a way to stick it to Gary
      Bettman who has for ten years derided them if not in words but by action. It
      is a chance for Canada to have what every top Euro nation has , a league to
      call its own. And it is a chance to say "bleep off Gary, we will show you
      the price for not letting us in your league and you had better think again."

      You are underestimating this stuff. Remember CFL fans in Canada do not rally
      around the NFL. The Bills were rather disappointed in Toronto. They thought
      "well CFL is not even really big league ball anymore so of we come
      Torontonians and Canadians of every sort will scream hallaleaujah!" They
      didn't. Why? Say what we want about the CFL, it is CANADIAN and has that
      CANADIAN content which apparently means something. I'm actually surprised at
      the number of emails that I have gotten off line saying "great idea"..

      And calling it an "IHL" is WAY off base! The "I" was always a league that
      was essentially a league with mixed identity.most of it wanted to stay minor
      pro a FEW teams wanted better.they only had a few players of bona fide NHL
      caliber.the KHL has already done better than that! They would get the odd
      hold out to play but leave as soon as the hold out ended and the very odd
      good young Euro.it never really became anything more than a very good AAA
      league. A league with this sort of ownership and goals would take more god
      players. The IHL's budget for most clubs was always miniscule. This would
      not be the ghost of the IHL but the WHA and actually much more formidable
      with wealthy foreign allies and not feeling the need that the WHA did, to go
      into what were either weak US markets or US markets with not enough room for
      another hockey team.

      Finally if they go messing with your weakest team Bettman BETTER lose
      sleep.how many people will pay to see a loser in the newer cities? How many
      will stick with instability? All you have to do is to push already weak
      teams that bit farther toward the cliff.

      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
        Incidentally Mike you don't need to go to international rules or ice
        surfaces to differentiate the game.try on full 2 minutes served for all
        minors ala pre 1956.get rid of the transom and big creases, back to the
        smaller squares and allow goalies to come out but strike the rule (read it
        sometime it makes you say to yourself that there are more rules conditions
        about how to legally clobber these guys than there are for getting tax write
        offs) that says that you have to try to avoid hitting them when they leave
        the crease they are just weird looking D so they do so at their own
        risk.dump the instigator rule and let the players police themselves.bring
        back the banana blade.go to a 3-2-1-0 point system 3 for a regulation time
        win, 2 for a OT win 1 for a shoot out win and NONE for a loss..go to the
        Olympic rule on face offs which is a very limited time to get the change and
        set or the puck drops.use the old WHA icing rule, as I recall it was to ice
        the puck when short you have to clear the blue line.get rid of time outs,
        sorry but Punch Imlach, Toe Blake and generations of great coaches lived
        without them so lets keep the darn game moving.and if you want international
        rules you use them for games against European teams if there are any in the
        regular season and for sure in a final series which could be a best of 7
        game final, 3 hosted by team A, three by team B and we go back to A for 7 if
        needed so there would only be two trips max! Regular season inter
        continental play could be handled a lot like the ECHL does, you have a
        choice of how much but each team MUST go across the pond for at least one
        small block of games. It could be say three in Moscow and that is it! Or
        maybe three in Ontario.two in Hamilton one in Toronto.keep it limited, a
        special change of pace and cheap! You don't have to make the game European
        hockey which may not go here to make it different.I'd also look at for non
        international games going with a 16 and 2 line up.it cuts costs. You also
        would not need the farm systems that the NHL has, they would RUN your farm
        system in effect as you would raid their minors for your players. The WHA
        did that! You have maybe 25 or 26 guys under contract. It saves you money
        again. Another interesting concept that I have seen proposed is to have a
        pooled farm system, that is x number pf players are signed to LEAGUE
        contracts and open to everyone! You could actually hybridize it and go with
        maybe 23 contract players per team then a league pool of x number open on
        first come first served.thus teams could again save costs.

        There are ways to differentiate that would make EVERYONE happy form the "not
        enough hitting/fighting folks to the "not enough scoring" folks. You may
        even be able to lighten up on zero tolerance and get MORE goals.you heard
        that right! Why? Because every minor is a FULL two minutes! It can cost you
        two goals against a good PP. Thus you would learn to not take the dumb two
        but you could still be allowed to hit more! And with no instigator a lot of
        dirty garbage may decline and we may see a few more legit fights. With the
        PP rule, the goalie now more encouraged to stay put as if they are caught
        with that puck they can be purposely freight trained like any D, banana
        blades and chicken coaching being penalized as it would cost you a point the
        minute that you go into OT tied, you would see scoring go up. So lets see a
        league with more goals, a bit more hitting , a bit more fighting, less dead
        time for changes and time outs a bit to appeal to old time hockey yet also
        appeal to new hockey.how different is that?

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 2, 2009
          And more bits of differentiation.perhaps have an import rule, say 4 non
          Canadians and if you go into the US a minimal number of American/US produced
          players.maybe even a draft where teams get to select a local first.Adding a
          US team or two might be an idea then as you get a Canadian/US rivalry in
          there since it would be more Canadian versus American players. And
          add/encourage COLOR. Remember the old days when Punch Imlach called Vachon a
          junior B goalie? Remember when Melrose and Burns had the "Billy Ray
          Cyrus/Wayne Newton" quotes? The days when then Ranger Gump Worsley answered
          in an interview when asked which NHL team gave him the toughest time and he
          didn't miss a beat and said "the Rangers."? Or wasn't it Gerry Cheevers who
          after a blow out was asked what happened and he said "roses are red violets
          are blue they got 10 and we only got 2." The No Humor League cracks down the
          minute a guy gets even a little but fun! Guys like Brett Hull and Roenick
          are PRECISELY what should be unleashed.mouths that roar and have THE
          quote.Be the league that is about FUN not corporate homogenized politically
          correct dullness! A league that is about FANS not SUITS and you know
          something the suits will buy it. Why? They want to sell their various
          products to the FANS who outnumber them! To go t an extreme ask Vince
          MacMahon who makes being non PC but fun a life style and they can't buy
          enough of him! Not that I am suggesting going that off the wall but
          everything in healthy doses.and the man took a nearly dead product and made
          into an entertainment empire because he remembered the object.to ENTERTAIN!
          On a less extreme, Canadian will understand this one.I love the Blue Bomber
          coach Kelly, he is not afraid to have fun! He derided the shot gun in a fun
          way sort of saying it was for the brain dead and when he was asked about his
          QB situation asked sideline reporter Sara Orelsky..: "can you throw?" Or
          yesterday when his punter made the most bizarre mess of a fake punt and his
          won guy sort made like fair catch of it (not legal) he didn't scream, he
          laughed along with the rest of us! GREAT STUFF, This man deserves a Grey
          Cup! This is what it is all about.FUN! Leagues like the NHL forget that and
          take it all too seriously as if it was a war not a GAME that is about
          ENTERTAINMENT and FUN! Make personality a big part of who you hire, this
          game has a lot of characters and people who are dying to be colorful if you
          only let them. HIRE THEM and let them know that they have a lot of rope
          within reason to run with things, it is ok to be fun.

        • epenaltybox
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 5, 2009
            My favorite, in honor of his retirement today:

            "I don't know what Patrick was doing the other night. I think he had to go up in the stands of the United Center to get his jockstrap." Jeremy Roenick to Patrick Roy, via the media

            Patrick's response:

            "I don't care what Jeremy says. Besides, I can't hear him because my two Stanley Cup rings are in my ears..."

            Morey

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 6, 2009
              YES, the Roenicks and Hulls were breaths of fresh air.now what do we
              have.Avery? :-)