Re: King Clancy, temporary goalie, 1923

  • francz
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
      The game was played in Vancouver but I don't believe there was any mention in either the April 1, 1923 Vancouver Sun or Edmonton Journal about Clancy playing in goal.  Perhaps the Ottawa Citizen has the citation?

      This was game 2 of 2 of the Stanley Cup finals and was played under NHL rules (game 1 was played under WCHL rules).  Mickey Ion was the referee.  Punch Broadbent's goal at 11:23 of the first period stood up as the winner in a 1-0 game.  The best I could deduce from the Sun and Journal was that Benedict's penalty was in the second period, for slashing.  I am assuming the 1922-23 NHL rules required goaltenders to serve their own penalties and allowed a skater to fill in, in between the pipes, for the duration of the penalty.

      The Stanley Cup winning Senators each received the princely sum of $700 for their six game participation in the PCHL-NHL and WCHL-NHL playoffs.  Stanley Cup losing Edmonton Eskimos received $116 a man, while each member of the first round losing Vancouver team received $310.  They received more than Edmonton because they played four games, while the Eskimos played only two.  (Frank Patrick knew a thing or two about managing a business.)

      Rob in 905

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        It turns out that this appearance is listed in the 2nd edition of Total Hockey after all (the light gray shading used for the early Stanley Cup series threw me off). It looks like it wasn't listed in the 1st edition however.

        Doug