Re: [hockhist] NHL Coming to Hamilton?

  • John Edwards
    Message 1 of 16 , May 8, 2009
      On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:31 PM, <Leslee47@...> wrote:

      > Lastly, having nothing to do with my legal background, I feel
      > uncomfortable with Balsillie bringing a team to Hamilton. Why do it when you  could
      > easily bring a team to London. It shows respect of the  NHL's territorial
      > limits, would really get fans that rarely attend professional  games, and could
      > bring in fans from the east and west (its about  2-2.25 hours to Detroit). I
      > think that area is perfect and would be easier  for the NHL to swallow. I
      > don't think this is really about where Balsillie  puts the team though--for
      > him, its about him breaking the monopoly the NHL  has on deciding who they
      > would like to own a team and who they would  not.

      There are two problems with London: it's too small and there's no
      suitable arena.

      The London metro area is only 450,000. That's less than the population
      of the City of Hamilton (~ 500,000), and with none of the surrounding
      population. London would instantly become the smallest market in the
      NHL. London would also provide no access to the Toronto media and
      corporate market (which is what Balsillie is after, since that would
      be essential to surviving).

      The arena in London is new, but only seats about 9,000 for hockey.

      John

      --
      John Edwards
      I used to put quotes here.