Indy Racer question

  • Douglas Holste
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 28, 2009
      OK WHA experts, does anyone have information that the WHA Racers played
      (even exhibition games) at Indiana Fairgrounds Arena. I don't think
      they did but I could be wrong. I think they always played at Market
      Square Arena and it was the minor league teams that eventually played
      at the fairgrounds. Doug
    • Andrew Smith
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2009
        > OK WHA experts, does anyone have information that the WHA Racers played (even exhibition games) at Indiana Fairgrounds Arena. I don't think they did but I could be wrong. I think they always played at Market Square Arena and it was the minor league teams that eventually played at the fairgrounds. Doug
        I have not been able to find any evidence of exhibition games played at the Fairgrounds Coliseum so far. Tim Gassen, if he's here, might be able to shed some more on the subject.

        I know they did practice at the Fairgrounds ... Mike Stapleton did a lot of reminiscing about his dad's team practicing there (and him playing his youth hockey there ... he'd later play there professionally as a member of the Indianapolis Ice).

        The Indianapolis Checkers -- the CHL team that replaced the Racers in 1979-80 -- also played their first two seasons at Market Square Arena before moving to the Coliseum in 1981-82. They moved back to MSA full-time in 1985-86 for two seasons, until the team suspended operations in 1987.

        When the team was resurrected a year later as the Ice, it played five years at the Coliseum, moved to MSA full-time from 1994-98, then moved back to the Coliseum for its final IHL season. From 1998-present, the Ice in its three incarnations (IHL/CHL/USHL) have played the bulk of its seasons at the Coliseum, with a handful of games at either MSA (in 98-99) or Conseco Fieldhouse (from 99-00 forward).

        Andrew Smith

      • PCMP
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 29, 2009
          Hi Doug,

          The WHA major league Indianapolis Racers played all their exhibition games in the (then)brand-new Market Square Arena downtown. They did, on occasion, practice on the ancient Fargrounds ice -- if there was a conflict with another event at MSA -- but the Fairgrounds was avoided if at all possible.

          In acquiring footage for my upcoming WHA Racers DVD set, I found an early 1974 exhibition game the Racers played in their home jerseys against the NHL Red Wings that at first look appears to be at the Fairgrounds --  but it was actually in Ft. Wayne, IN at the ice of the minor league Komets.

          Hope that helps!

          Timothy Gassen
          whaRACERS.com