1967 Conn Smythe Trophy

  • mhdibiase
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 26, 2009
      I would like to put this question to the membership. During my
      research and interviews with former NHL players, I've detected
      certain sub-themes along the journey.

      One such sub-theme has been whether Dave Keon deserved to win the
      1967 Conn Smythe trophy?

      This has emerged beginning last summer when I was in Toronto
      interviewing some of Keon's teammates and it renewed itself during
      this month's trip to FL to interview more players.

      When I interviewed various NHL players about Keon's contributions in
      the 1967 playoffs and asking them what Keon did to deserve the
      trophy the players concerned would instead invoke the great
      goaltending of Sawchuk and Bower as being the "key" factor in the
      Maple Leafs Cup win on 1967. I would gently bring up Keon again and,
      interestingly, they would reaffirm the goaltending of Bower and
      Sawchuk as being the paramount factor in the Leafs 1967 victory.

      Indeed, only one player (Bryan "Bugsy" Watson) has defended the
      choice of Keon as Conn Smythe trophy winner.

      The question I would like to offer the membership is whether Keon
      truly deserved the 1967 Conn Smythe trophy? If not then who in your
      opinion should have gotten it? If Keon did deserve the trophy then
      how did Keon get the nod?

      I should like to note that I had hoped to interview Keon while I was
      down in Pompano Beach. I did send him a letter informing him of my
      presence in his area and my desire to speak with him. The week
      before I flew south, I received a phone call from Keon gently and
      courteously informing me of his refusal to be interviewed. I was a
      touch saddened but not surprised at his refusal. (I could not help
      but contrast the Keon's courteous refusal with that of his former
      teammate Pete Stemkowski who was VERY RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS to me with
      his refusal to be interviewed).

      My question should not be seen as a disparagement of Keon. On the
      contrary I have enormous respect for him and many of the players
      I've interviewed have expressed enormous respect for him too but the
      issue of his winning the 1967 Conn Smythe trophy is a real one and
      it cannot be ignored.

      I would appreciate the group's opinions.

      Matt
    • James Benesh
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 26, 2009
        > 2. 1967 Conn Smythe Trophy
        > Posted by: "mhdibiase" mhdibiase@... mhdibiase
        > Date: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:20 pm ((PST))
        >
        > I would like to put this question to the membership. During my
        > research and interviews with former NHL players, I've detected
        > certain sub-themes along the journey.
        >
        > One such sub-theme has been whether Dave Keon deserved to win the
        > 1967 Conn Smythe trophy?
        >
        > This has emerged beginning last summer when I was in Toronto
        > interviewing some of Keon's teammates and it renewed itself during
        > this month's trip to FL to interview more players.
        >
        > When I interviewed various NHL players about Keon's contributions in
        > the 1967 playoffs and asking them what Keon did to deserve the
        > trophy the players concerned would instead invoke the great
        > goaltending of Sawchuk and Bower as being the "key" factor in the
        > Maple Leafs Cup win on 1967. I would gently bring up Keon again and,
        > interestingly, they would reaffirm the goaltending of Bower and
        > Sawchuk as being the paramount factor in the Leafs 1967 victory.
        >
        > Indeed, only one player (Bryan "Bugsy" Watson) has defended the
        > choice of Keon as Conn Smythe trophy winner.
        >
        > The question I would like to offer the membership is whether Keon
        > truly deserved the 1967 Conn Smythe trophy? If not then who in your
        > opinion should have gotten it? If Keon did deserve the trophy then
        > how did Keon get the nod?
        >
        > I should like to note that I had hoped to interview Keon while I was
        > down in Pompano Beach. I did send him a letter informing him of my
        > presence in his area and my desire to speak with him. The week
        > before I flew south, I received a phone call from Keon gently and
        > courteously informing me of his refusal to be interviewed. I was a
        > touch saddened but not surprised at his refusal. (I could not help
        > but contrast the Keon's courteous refusal with that of his former
        > teammate Pete Stemkowski who was VERY RUDE AND OBNOXIOUS to me with
        > his refusal to be interviewed).
        >
        > My question should not be seen as a disparagement of Keon. On the
        > contrary I have enormous respect for him and many of the players
        > I've interviewed have expressed enormous respect for him too but the
        > issue of his winning the 1967 Conn Smythe trophy is a real one and
        > it cannot be ignored.
        >
        > I would appreciate the group's opinions.
        >
        > Matt

        Well, this was 14 years before I was born, but 1967 is significant to me so I'll
        weigh in on it.

        The Smythe can only go to one player, so it should be the player whose
        individual contributions were the most responsible for lifting the team to
        great heights. Bower and Sawchuk were platooned for the whole playoffs and
        therefore never got to make enough of an impact individually. As a tandem, no
        doubt they had more impact than Keon, as the numbers indicate.

        Had one of them played all the playoff games and performed as the tandem did,
        they'd be a no-brainer Smythe choice. But I can't see a Smythe ever being
        awarded to a player who plays just 60% of his team's playoff games.

        James
      • Paul Patskou
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2009
          Dave Keon was deserving of winning the Conn Smythe and
          you can't judge his contribution solely on his scoring
          stats. People often question how a Montreal team with
          centres like Beliveau and Henri Richard could lose the
          series and the answer is that Dave Keon helped shut
          them down. The players I've talked to from the 60's
          Leafs say that they wouldn't have won those Cups
          without Keon - he was that valuable.

          Neither Sawchuk and Bower played the entire series and
          that hurt their chances of winning the Conn Smythe
          Trophy. Its true that Sawchuk won 2 games including
          games 5 & 6, but he didn't play well in the losses in
          Games 1 & 4.

          But Sawchuk did win the 'Air Canada' Trophy for the
          most valuable player in the playoffs. So he did get
          some recognition.