Re: Death on the Ice

    Message 1 of 41 , Jan 5, 2009
      I doubt it. And the issue is less the number but the severity of the fouls.
      In the NCAA it is less the number but rather the way that a guy goes to
      cheap shot somebody that is worrisome. Once money is on the line Craig it is
      WAY different than a CIS game!

      Add on Craig that fans WANT contact. I have yet to see a poll involving US
      fans that it doesn't come back that the vast majority want fighting or are
      at worse neutral. I believe the latest hockey news poll had only 10 %
      wanting it banned. Most wanted it to stay. Some 70-80 % said that they
      "liked or loved it".

      The bottom line is that in a league where the fandom is fragile at best
      which covets the market in a country that is basically violent in its tastes
      (football the top sport, "pro wrastlin" a multi billion dollar industry,
      movies like Hell Boy and anything with Van Damme in them top the box office
      etc) dumping fighting is not a good gamble.

      Message 41 of 41 , Jan 9, 2009
        I would think that we would see one of two things.

        1-Nature takes its course. The Euro teams would probably be mostly Euro
        players in the end and we would not see a ton of interlocking play. Hence we
        would see current NHL rules but little fighting. This is how the World Cup
        works, it is the NHL rule book.

        2-We might see something where Europe has its won rules and when we play for
        a title we see the home team uses its book ala baseball with the DH.

        But I am not so sure that we will see Euro teams so fast. And keep in mind I
        am an advocate of them. The problems are complex. First of all there are few
        buildings in Europe that are up to NHL standards. Then there is the matter
        of travel. We also have the issue that the great hockey towns are largely
        not in the more wealthy Euro nations but in developing economies. Then we
        get into the politics and infighting. Who will own the teams? How will the
        national federations get their cut as the NHL will doubtlessly cut into
        their revenue streams. Then we have the NHLPA to deal with about the travel
        and the fact that many North American swill not want to play in Europe. We
        are a culturally backward lot.:-) Hell how many guys could we get to play in
        Quebec where they are close to home and most people are bilingual, can you
        imagine telling the next John Ogrodnick (who wanted out when we got him) or
        more accurately Mrs. Ogrodnick "you will play in Moscow next year." And it
        was an issue that we had to deal with in Quebec! Some guys just did not want
        to ;lay there, Eric Lindros was not the first! If we were telling guys to
        "catch the next plane to Helsinki" we would have a ton of Lindros type hold
        outs!

        We will see some sort of world title down the line but it may not be through
        NHL expansion but rather via merger. I think that the KHL will survive. It
        will have tough times as it is WAY TOO bloated and was perhaps a few years
        premature. But IF they can get non Russian teams and start to prune out the
        weaklings that are there now you may see a viable mostly Euro player league.
        Eventually peace will have to be made.

        The only other choice is to create an entire Euro division. To me it is not
        all that logical to go in peace meal one team at a time or else that team
        will have the world's record operating costs! Moving teams is the very
        definition of peace meal. And you have a few Canadian cities that could be
        options as well as a few US ones so Europe is a less likely option. Simply
        put, we have to figure out what to do with Hamilton before we can tackle
        Stockholm where issues in many ways are twice as complex!

        So sorry Craig, it won't be the end of fighting unless all of those Euro
        fans migrate over here after a nuclear holocaust has wiped out the North
        American ones who like fighting.it will stay here in North America and I
        would almost go as far as to say that it is more likely to catch on there
        than die here. After all where do we see more fights IN the crowd! :-) And
        in Britain they actually allowed fighting, crowds did not decline. My guess
        is we say if the NHL expands "here are the rules" and Euro teams will build
        in a way to suit their market minus fighters and we keep them over here. Or
        we see a Euro body and when we meet in world titles we have a rules
        compromise and fighting may well be out for that final as again it is a
        different market with the unique appeal of nationalism. Or, judging by some
        of the generation of new Euro players, it may be in.even Ovechkin has been
        known to drop them now and again and as for Chara.who knows? But at any rate
        I doubt that it will be an issue for a while.I think that Canada has to be
        dealt with first and the odd US market that there are actually REAL reasons
        to think might support the NHL (Portland for example) should be looked at
        after that.