Doug Favell Question

  • Craig
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2009
      First let me say Happy New Year to everyone on the list! I hope 2009 is a great year for you, and your friends and families.

      Question regarding Doug Favell when he played in Toronto. Did he have a personality clash with coach Red Kelly or a serious injury? I ask as in 1974-75 he basically sat on the bench at the end of the season while Kelly used Gord McRae (who never made you think Vezina Trophy when you though of him!) in the playoffs. Then in 1975-76 he played in less than 5 games before being sent to Colorado for the 1976-77 season. Any idea of why Kelly just gave up on him?

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
        I do recall that he had a bad knee, he only played 3 games in 75-6 and was
        actually down to recondition where he only played 4. His GAA for those 3 was
        5.63 with a .754 SVPC, and even before that in 74-5, it was 4.09 up from
        2.71 the year before. Now due to his injury they had brought in Wayne Thomas
        from the Habs who had not only pinch hit well when Dryden had sat out in
        Montreal but had a 3.19 GAA in 75-6 but a much better.905 SVPC. They also
        had Mike Palmateer in the wings. So you had Favell making good money in the
        WHA era with a gimpy knee who had not played well in two years, Thomas who
        had played pretty well both with the Habs in 73-4 and with TO in 75-6
        outplaying Favell who was 31 at the time, and lesser paid guys like McRae
        and Palmateer. McRae was a back up type, Palmateer was a prospect. Keep in
        mind Favell was put of the league after 3 more years the last of which was
        mostly in the AHL.he was declining and this is one that I can't blame the
        leafs for. Favell was getting older, banged up and not playing well, Thomas
        was not a bad goalie. And in the end, Palmateer was better than either. I
        think it was the knee and just father time catching up to Dougie. Also bear
        in mind that Favell was never the model of consistency. In Boston he was
        down there on the depth chart and played third fiddle to Parent and Cheevers
        in term of young goalies and was even behind Jack Norris when they had him.
        Then in Philly he was #2 to Parent , took the job, then lost it when they
        went out of the way to trade to get Bernie back. Then in TO he was ok for a
        year and not so ok in year two. And, as I recall he had a number of
        ailments. I remember when he played with the NLL Wings a bit in 784 he was
        wearing a knee brace and could not play much. The truth is that Favell was
        always one of those guys that could tease a little but never made the top
        tier of NHL goalies unlike Parent. And when things went south they did so in
        a hurry like often happens with guys like that.

      • Jim Dornberger
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2009
          Bill,

          I don't think Dougie had much of a workout regimen. I heard he would
          eat an entire pizza in the locker room before a game. I loved the
          fabulous flopper though, when I was 11.

          Jim Dornberger

          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@...>

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2009
            That is probably true! He was kind of a fun guy.:-) As I recall Terry Crisp
            once said that he would take his glove off when he shot at practice! I would
            not be surprised! Guys like him make the game that much more fun!