Joe Daley, Penguins 1967-68

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 1, 2008
      I note that on the SlateOBase, Joe Daley is listed with one game
      played for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1967-68, at least in the
      scoring totals. He does not show up in the goaltending totals, and
      the minutes for Hank Bassen and Les Binkley add up to the 4440
      expected for a 74 game season.

      I am wondering if he actually appeared for a few minutes in relief
      (otherwise uncredited in official stats), or if the 1 GP is an
      error.

      I saved the image of a scan of a 1967-68 North Stars at Penguins
      program that was listed on eBay last November. It isn't the center
      line-up page, but is the roster page. It has the players and numbers
      listed. Daley is listed (sweater #30) along with Bassen; I am
      assuming that Binkley was hurt and Daley had been called up from
      Baltimore.

      Also listed on the Penguins roster is Wayne Hicks, who was traded
      from Philadelphia on February 27, so the only possibility for this
      game's date is March 24, 1968 (the Penguins' game #70 of 74).

      Just wondering if Joe Daley actually appeared in a game at about this
      point in the season, or if he was just a zero hero in 1967-68.

      Rob in 905
    • nybos1974
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
        Joe Daley is listed in The Hockey News as being on the roster in the
        March 24th game. For some reason they failed to give the goalie
        stats in the recap - that's odd because the other games all list the
        goalies and shots on goal so it was an oversight.

        Jay in MIlford

        --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <francz39@...> wrote:

        > I note that on the SlateOBase, Joe Daley is listed with one game
        > played for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1967-68, at least in the
        > scoring totals. He does not show up in the goaltending totals, and
        > the minutes for Hank Bassen and Les Binkley add up to the 4440
        > expected for a 74 game season.
        >
        > I am wondering if he actually appeared for a few minutes in relief
        > (otherwise uncredited in official stats), or if the 1 GP is an
        > error.
        >
        > I saved the image of a scan of a 1967-68 North Stars at Penguins
        > program that was listed on eBay last November. It isn't the center
        > line-up page, but is the roster page. It has the players and
        numbers
        > listed. Daley is listed (sweater #30) along with Bassen; I am
        > assuming that Binkley was hurt and Daley had been called up from
        > Baltimore.
        >
        > Also listed on the Penguins roster is Wayne Hicks, who was traded
        > from Philadelphia on February 27, so the only possibility for this
        > game's date is March 24, 1968 (the Penguins' game #70 of 74).
        >
        > Just wondering if Joe Daley actually appeared in a game at about
        this
        > point in the season, or if he was just a zero hero in 1967-68.
        >
        > Rob in 905

      • epenaltybox
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
          I went looking at The Sporting News, Tor Star and Winnipeg Free
          Press for you, and no goaltenders were listed for any of the games.

          However, in the Bridgeport Post, a photo of the game shows Maniago
          making a save for the North Stars and the story states that Les
          Binkley was the goaltender.

          On Mar 21, the Lebanon Daily News shows a photo of Daley playing for
          Baltimore at Hershey. Maybe he was called up as an emergency backup
          and sat on the bench...

          And on Nov 13 in the Uniontown Evening-Standard, the Penguins
          announced Joe Daley was called up from Baltimore to play in his
          first NHL game.

          Of course, one could always call him and ask: 204-783-8430.

          Morey

          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <francz39@...> wrote:

          > I note that on the SlateOBase, Joe Daley is listed with one game
          > played for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1967-68, at least in the
          > scoring totals. He does not show up in the goaltending totals,
          and
          > the minutes for Hank Bassen and Les Binkley add up to the 4440
          > expected for a 74 game season.
          >
          > I am wondering if he actually appeared for a few minutes in relief
          > (otherwise uncredited in official stats), or if the 1 GP is an
          > error.
          >
          > I saved the image of a scan of a 1967-68 North Stars at Penguins
          > program that was listed on eBay last November. It isn't the
          center
          > line-up page, but is the roster page. It has the players and
          numbers
          > listed. Daley is listed (sweater #30) along with Bassen; I am
          > assuming that Binkley was hurt and Daley had been called up from
          > Baltimore.
          >
          > Also listed on the Penguins roster is Wayne Hicks, who was traded
          > from Philadelphia on February 27, so the only possibility for this
          > game's date is March 24, 1968 (the Penguins' game #70 of 74).
          >
          > Just wondering if Joe Daley actually appeared in a game at about
          this
          > point in the season, or if he was just a zero hero in 1967-68.
          >
          > Rob in 905

        • Sebastien Tremblay
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2008
            Daley did not dress up for the game according to the NY Times, Bassen was in the net with Binkley being the backup

            Sebastien

            > I went looking at The Sporting News, Tor Star and Winnipeg
            > Free
            > Press for you, and no goaltenders were listed for any of
            > the games.
            >
            > However, in the Bridgeport Post, a photo of the game shows
            > Maniago
            > making a save for the North Stars and the story states that
            > Les
            > Binkley was the goaltender.
            >
            > On Mar 21, the Lebanon Daily News shows a photo of Daley
            > playing for
            > Baltimore at Hershey. Maybe he was called up as an
            > emergency backup
            > and sat on the bench...
            >
            > And on Nov 13 in the Uniontown Evening-Standard, the
            > Penguins
            > announced Joe Daley was called up from Baltimore to play in
            > his
            > first NHL game.
            >
            > Of course, one could always call him and ask: 204-783-8430.
            >
            > Morey
            >
            > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Rob"
            > <francz39@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I note that on the SlateOBase, Joe Daley is listed
            > with one game
            > > played for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1967-68, at
            > least in the
            > > scoring totals. He does not show up in the
            > goaltending totals,
            > and
            > > the minutes for Hank Bassen and Les Binkley add up to
            > the 4440
            > > expected for a 74 game season.
            > >
            > > I am wondering if he actually appeared for a few
            > minutes in relief
            > > (otherwise uncredited in official stats), or if the 1
            > GP is an
            > > error.
            > >
            > > I saved the image of a scan of a 1967-68 North Stars
            > at Penguins
            > > program that was listed on eBay last November. It
            > isn't the
            > center
            > > line-up page, but is the roster page. It has the
            > players and
            > numbers
            > > listed. Daley is listed (sweater #30) along with
            > Bassen; I am
            > > assuming that Binkley was hurt and Daley had been
            > called up from
            > > Baltimore.
            > >
            > > Also listed on the Penguins roster is Wayne Hicks, who
            > was traded
            > > from Philadelphia on February 27, so the only
            > possibility for this
            > > game's date is March 24, 1968 (the Penguins'
            > game #70 of 74).
            > >
            > > Just wondering if Joe Daley actually appeared in a
            > game at about
            > this
            > > point in the season, or if he was just a zero hero in
            > 1967-68.
            > >
            > > Rob in 905

            http://www.flickr.com/gift/
          • francz
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
              Thanks, guys, for the deep, deep digging.

              I walked into Joe's store way back in the 90's and had a good chat with him about his SJHL days.  Not quite as disarming as waslking into a store a couple of years ago and buying hockey cards from Marcel Dionne, though.

              Cheers,

              Rob in 905 (shooting for 952 now)

              Daley did not dress up for the game according to the NY Times, Bassen was in the net with Binkley being the backup

              Sebastien

              > I went looking at The Sporting News, Tor Star and Winnipeg
              > Free
              > Press for you, and no goaltenders were listed for any of
              > the games.
              >
              > However, in the Bridgeport Post, a photo of the game shows
              > Maniago
              > making a save for the North Stars and the story states that
              > Les
              > Binkley was the goaltender.
              >
              > On Mar 21, the Lebanon Daily News shows a photo of Daley
              > playing for
              > Baltimore at Hershey. Maybe he was called up as an
              > emergency backup
              > and sat on the bench...
              >
              > And on Nov 13 in the Uniontown Evening-Standard, the
              > Penguins
              > announced Joe Daley was called up from Baltimore to play in
              > his
              > first NHL game.
              >
              > Of course, one could always call him and ask: 204-783-8430.
              >
              > Morey
              >
              > --- In hockhist@yahoogroup s.com, "Rob"
              > <francz39@.. .> wrote:
              > >
              > > I note that on the SlateOBase, Joe Daley is listed
              > with one game
              > > played for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1967-68, at
              > least in the
              > > scoring totals. He does not show up in the
              > goaltending totals,
              > and
              > > the minutes for Hank Bassen and Les Binkley add up to
              > the 4440
              > > expected for a 74 game season.
              > >
              > > I am wondering if he actually appeared for a few
              > minutes in relief
              > > (otherwise uncredited in official stats), or if the 1
              > GP is an
              > > error.
              > >
              > > I saved the image of a scan of a 1967-68 North Stars
              > at Penguins
              > > program that was listed on eBay last November. It
              > isn't the
              > center
              > > line-up page, but is the roster page. It has the
              > players and
              > numbers
              > > listed. Daley is listed (sweater #30) along with
              > Bassen; I am
              > > assuming that Binkley was hurt and Daley had been
              > called up from
              > > Baltimore.
              > >
              > > Also listed on the Penguins roster is Wayne Hicks, who
              > was traded
              > > from Philadelphia on February 27, so the only
              > possibility for this
              > > game's date is March 24, 1968 (the Penguins'
              > game #70 of 74).
              > >
              > > Just wondering if Joe Daley actually appeared in a
              > game at about
              > this
              > > point in the season, or if he was just a zero hero in
              > 1967-68.
              > >
              > > Rob in 905

              http://www.flickr com/gift/

            • Karkoski James
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 5, 2008
                I started this thing about Daley with Pittsburgh in 67-68 when I
                noticed in the Mar. 16, 1968 issue of the The Hockey News (page 24)
                that a story by Lou Prato said that he played in the Mar. 2nd game
                against Oakland after Binkley got injured and that the summaries in
                the Mar.9 issue not only had Binkley in the lineup it also had his
                name in the shots on goal totals.

                Stu McMurray later sent me this information on the situation after he
                had the opportunity to look at the official game sheets in the NHL
                offices. I'll copy what he e-mailed me:

                According to the official sheets, Daley did not dress for the March
                2/68 game. Bassen was the back up and Binkley played.

                Daley dressed but did not play in the following games of the 1967-68
                season:

                March 6/68 at STL
                March 7/68 at MIN
                March 9/68 vs LAK
                March 13/68 at CHI

                Which answered any questions I had about Daley in this game.

                James

                On 2008/11/02, at 19:19, nybos1974 wrote:

                > Joe Daley is listed in The Hockey News as being on the roster in the
                > March 24th game. For some reason they failed to give the goalie
                > stats in the recap - that's odd because the other games all list the
                > goalies and shots on goal so it was an oversight.
                >
                > Jay in MIlford
                >
                > --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <francz39@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I note that on the SlateOBase, Joe Daley is listed with one game
                > > played for the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1967-68, at least in the
                > > scoring totals. He does not show up in the goaltending totals, and
                > > the minutes for Hank Bassen and Les Binkley add up to the 4440
                > > expected for a 74 game season.
                > >
                > > I am wondering if he actually appeared for a few minutes in relief
                > > (otherwise uncredited in official stats), or if the 1 GP is an
                > > error.
                > >
                > > I saved the image of a scan of a 1967-68 North Stars at Penguins
                > > program that was listed on eBay last November. It isn't the center
                > > line-up page, but is the roster page. It has the players and
                > numbers
                > > listed. Daley is listed (sweater #30) along with Bassen; I am
                > > assuming that Binkley was hurt and Daley had been called up from
                > > Baltimore.
                > >
                > > Also listed on the Penguins roster is Wayne Hicks, who was traded
                > > from Philadelphia on February 27, so the only possibility for this
                > > game's date is March 24, 1968 (the Penguins' game #70 of 74).
                > >
                > > Just wondering if Joe Daley actually appeared in a game at about
                > this
                > > point in the season, or if he was just a zero hero in 1967-68.
                > >
                > > Rob in 905

              • Sebastien Tremblay
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Hi,

                  I am currently trying to finish the goaltender game by game register for my upcoming book and I have a few games which are still problematic and I’m looking for help from people who have access to either the official game sheets or have access to specific newspaper through their local libraries. The period I am covering is from 1967-68 through to the 1978-79 seasons, everyteam has at least one game that is problematic but the teams that need the most work are Montreal, Detroit and Boston. If anybody is interested and willing to help, please contact me off-list.

                  Thanks

                  Sebastien Tremblay
                  stremblay@...

                  http://www.flickr.com/gift/