AHL edition of the hockey news

  • Douglas Holste
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 9, 2008
      This morning I was searching on ebay for old sports program of interest
      to me. I went to one particular seller and after looking over other
      item I saw that he was selling 1973 editions of the hockey news in
      which the front covers had exclusive coverage of AHL teams. Was the
      Hockey News also a regional publication at that time?
    • Swanrvr80@aol.com

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 12, 2008
          IIRC, I have a similar copy of THN from about 1969-1970 which had an exclusive cover for the old WHL. This was one of the first copies of THN I ever saw. My understanding there were regional covers done for certain geographic areas from time to time.

          Glad you reminded me of this. I'll have to see if I still have my old copy buried somewhere.

          Dave Soutter

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 12, 2008
            Dave,

            Didn't they used to sell THN at the games at the Salt Palace?

            Tex

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 12, 2008
              Frank:

              Yes, they did. Maybe that's where that old one came from--I don't remember for sure.

              BTW: John Stott (author of Icemen) never did contact me. Do you have his email address?

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 15, 2008
                This interchange reminds that the first time I ever saw the THN was
                at the first NHL game I ever attended. It was at a Minnesota North
                Star in Oct 1978. I purchased a copy that had Dick Redmond on the
                cover. Too bad I didn't purchase the issue a week before because it
                had Wayne Gretzke as a Indianapolis Racer cover. The first
                publication to have Wayne on the cover and quite valueable today.

                Funny I was at 2 MF Saints in 75 but never saw any issues of the THN
                for purchase.
                I wonder if that was the norm for WHA arenas.

              • gainey2323@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 31, 2008
                  As I was growing up in the 60s, THN always had front paqe news of the IHL
                  until about the time playoffs started in April. Luckily I kept all my issues and
                  have a nice assortment from that era.

                  deal here.