Recommended Hockey History Books?

  • James Benesh
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 1, 2008
      Lately I have been obsessed with books about hockey. The bigger, the more
      extensive, the further back they go, the better. I especially like bios of
      players, the type that go in-depth and really illustrate just what type of
      player they were. Pictures are a big plus, as are extensive stats. I have had
      an extensive collection my whole life but lately I have added 60 more books to
      it, in an effort to get everything of value.

      So I'm asking this list for recommendations on books I should get. Please note
      that I have all the usual suspects, so no need to recommend The Trail Of the
      Stanley Cup, Ultimate Hockey, Total Hockey 1&2, The Hockey Compendium, Players,
      Kings Of the Ice, etc. For someone who is eager to learn as much as possible
      about hockey history, what books are going to provide me with the most
      knowledge not found in the above texts?

      James
    • Craig
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
        I've always enjoyed "War on Ice" by Scott Young. It was released in 1976 and is a great history of Canada/Soviet hockey from 1954 through to the 1974 Summit.

        Craig Wallace

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 2, 2008
          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, James Benesh <jsbenesh@...> wrote:

          > Lately I have been obsessed with books about hockey. The bigger, the more
          > extensive, the further back they go, the better. I especially like bios of
          > players, the type that go in-depth and really illustrate just what type of
          > player they were. Pictures are a big plus, as are extensive stats. I have had
          > an extensive collection my whole life but lately I have added 60 more books to
          > it, in an effort to get everything of value.
          >
          > So I'm asking this list for recommendations on books I should get. Please note
          > that I have all the usual suspects, so no need to recommend The Trail Of the
          > Stanley Cup, Ultimate Hockey, Total Hockey 1&2, The Hockey Compendium, Players,
          > Kings Of the Ice, etc. For someone who is eager to learn as much as possible
          > about hockey history, what books are going to provide me with the most
          > knowledge not found in the above texts?
          >
          > James

          Another good book on the summit is Dryden's "Faceoff at the Summit", which is kind of
          forgotten today after his other books.

          One of the best hockey books I've ever read is "Strength Down Centre" by Hugh Hood on
          Beliveau up to the end of the 1969 season. Hood was a Montreal novelist, so it's very well
          written and full of lots of insights into the Canadiens and the whole hockey culture of the
          time.

          Robert
        • Craig
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 7, 2008
            James,

            You will really enjoy it! I have always felt it to be somewhat unfortunate that most people seem to think that Canada/Soviet hockey began with the 1972 Summit. Scott Young totally dispels that myth with his superb descriptions of the battles between Canada's Senior A teams and the Soviets in the 1950's and the of course Father David Bauer and his courageous "Nats" in the mid to late 60's.

            Thanks for the tip, Craig. I have the International Ice hockey Encyclopedia on the way to me in the mail, but this one sounds like it would probably go more in-depth for Can/Rus games which was basically the highlight of international hockey for 30 years. Plus, Scott Young is a great writer. I'm going to buy it.

            James

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 8, 2008
              First and foremost, consider Deceptions and Doublecross, by Morey
              Holzman and Joseph Nieforth (Dundurn Press, 2002). If you want to
              understand what went on in that hotel conference room in Montreal in
              1917, and how it relates to (and resembles) everything that has
              happened since, I know of no better source.

              For a good look at the game's roots, consider How Hockey Happened by
              J.W. "Bill" Fitsell (Quarry Heritage, 2006).

              War Games by Douglas Hunter (Viking, 1996) centres around Conn
              Smythe's activities during the Second World War, as they related both
              to hockey and the military. Hunter's bio of Tim Horton, Open Ice, is
              also very useful for the copious background detail of hockey in the
              six-team NHL era.

              There's also some valuable reading among the essays included with the
              two editions of the Total Hockey encyclopedia.

              Getting more into "social" history:

              The Game, by Ken Dryden (Macmillan of Canada, 1983, reprinted under
              various imprints and in several editions since). Everyone says it's
              the best book ever written about the game. Who am I to argue?
              Certainly the best memoir. An insider's look at the best team the NHL
              has ever seen (and, at least on New Year's Eve 1975, the equal of
              CSKA Moscow).

              Game Misconduct, by Russ Conway (Macfarlane, Walter & Ross, 1995).
              The best book about the damage wrought by disbarred lawyer R. Alan
              Eagleson. A book so important that an American had to write it --
              just as it took an American court to convict the guy. Related
              reading: Net Worth, by David Cruise and Alison Griffiths (Viking,
              1991), and The Power of Two by Susan Foster (Fenn, 2006).

              When the Lights Went Out, by Gare Joyce (Doubleday, 2006). The story
              of the "Piestany Punch-Up," the brawl between the Canadian and Soviet
              teams that ended the 1987 World Junior Championships. Joyce mixes
              interviews with a scene-by-scene review of a grey-market DVD of the
              game in an attempt to determine what happened. Also recommended:
              Future Greats and Heartbreaks, also by Joyce (Doubleday, 2007), an up-
              close-and-personal, and remarkably frank, look at hockey scouting, an
              aspect of pro sport that has gone largely unstudied. The Columbus
              Blue Jackets gave Joyce incredible access, to the point where he even
              asks a few questions of players in pre-draft interviews.

              Zamboni Rodeo, by Jason Cohen (Greystone, 2003). A look at the minor-
              league Austin Ice Bats.

              I'm also partial to Thin Ice by Larry "Ratso" Sloman (published by
              Morrow, in 1981, I think). He had tremendous access to the 1979-80
              New York Rangers -- in the days when they were doing ads for Sasson
              jeans and Ron Duguay was appearing on the cover of Andy Warhol's
              Interview magazine.

              --
              Lloyd Davis
              Butterfield 8 Inc.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 8, 2008
                There are other goodies.some good histories of the minors in Spokane,
                Halifax, Cleveland and Buffalo. There is also a year by year book about the
                Memorial Cup called "The Memorial Cup". On the international front Mancuso
                did a great book about the 1972 US team. Tretiak and Salming also wrote good
                autobiographies. Our own friend on this list Joe Pelletier has done a nice
                volume on the World Cup/Canada Cup. "Red White and Gold" is a good history
                of the World Junior championship and a focus ion Team Canada. And of course
                "Here Go Vees Go" about the Penticton Vees trip to the worlds in the 50's.
                "Big Bucks and Blue Pucks", "Same Game Different Name" and "the Rebel
                League" are all fun sagas of the WHA. "Kings of the Ice" is a nice thorough
                volume with the bios of nearly 1000 stars fro the early days to now and from
                both here and Europe. There is also a encyclopedic volume with verbal bios
                on every player to have ever played even a game in the NHL from day one
                until its publishing date which is about 5 years ago..

              • James Benesh
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 9, 2008
                  >First and foremost, consider Deceptions and Doublecross, by Morey
                  >Holzman and Joseph Nieforth (Dundurn Press, 2002). If you want to
                  >understand what went on in that hotel conference room in Montreal in
                  >1917, and how it relates to (and resembles) everything that has
                  >happened since, I know of no better source.

                  >For a good look at the game's roots, consider How Hockey Happened by
                  >J.W. "Bill" Fitsell (Quarry Heritage, 2006).

                  >War Games by Douglas Hunter (Viking, 1996) centres around Conn
                  >Smythe's activities during the Second World War, as they related both
                  >to hockey and the military. Hunter's bio of Tim Horton, Open Ice, is
                  >also very useful for the copious background detail of hockey in the
                  >six-team NHL era.

                  >There's also some valuable reading among the essays included with the
                  >two editions of the Total Hockey encyclopedia.

                  >Getting more into "social" history:

                  >The Game, by Ken Dryden (Macmillan of Canada, 1983, reprinted under
                  >various imprints and in several editions since). Everyone says it's
                  >the best book ever written about the game. Who am I to argue?
                  >Certainly the best memoir. An insider's look at the best team the NHL
                  >has ever seen (and, at least on New Year's Eve 1975, the equal of
                  >CSKA Moscow).

                  >Game Misconduct, by Russ Conway (Macfarlane, Walter & Ross, 1995).
                  >The best book about the damage wrought by disbarred lawyer R. Alan
                  >Eagleson. A book so important that an American had to write it --
                  >just as it took an American court to convict the guy. Related
                  >reading: Net Worth, by David Cruise and Alison Griffiths (Viking,
                  >1991), and The Power of Two by Susan Foster (Fenn, 2006).

                  >When the Lights Went Out, by Gare Joyce (Doubleday, 2006). The story
                  >of the "Piestany Punch-Up," the brawl between the Canadian and Soviet
                  >teams that ended the 1987 World Junior Championships. Joyce mixes
                  >interviews with a scene-by-scene review of a grey-market DVD of the
                  >game in an attempt to determine what happened. Also recommended:
                  >Future Greats and Heartbreaks, also by Joyce (Doubleday, 2007), an up-
                  >close-and-personal, and remarkably frank, look at hockey scouting, an
                  >aspect of pro sport that has gone largely unstudied. The Columbus
                  >Blue Jackets gave Joyce incredible access, to the point where he even
                  >asks a few questions of players in pre-draft interviews.

                  >Zamboni Rodeo, by Jason Cohen (Greystone, 2003). A look at the minor-
                  >league Austin Ice Bats.

                  >I'm also partial to Thin Ice by Larry "Ratso" Sloman (published by
                  >Morrow, in 1981, I think). He had tremendous access to the 1979-80
                  >New York Rangers -- in the days when they were doing ads for Sasson
                  >jeans and Ron Duguay was appearing on the cover of Andy Warhol's
                  >Interview magazine.

                  Thanks for the great info.

                  I've already aquired Deceptions and Doublecross, The Game, and Net Worth.
                  haven't read them yet. Lately I've had this problem where I can aquire books at
                  a rate of 10-15 per week but can still only read about one in the same time.

                  A couple more notes:

                  War Games: I bought Conn Smythe's Autobiography "If You Can't Beat 'em In the
                  Alley" - have you read that one? I'm a big Conn Smythe fan but at the same time
                  I wouldn't want to get two books with too much redundancy.

                  How Hockey Happened: Sounds excellent, actually. I found a copy of "Hockey's
                  Captains, Colonels & Kings" by the same author and one great book, "The Hockey
                  Compendium" has referred to it as a great source so I am excited for this one
                  to show up in the mail.

                  Future Greats and Heartbreaks sounds excellent. I have done more research on the
                  history of the NHL draft than perhaps any other normal guy with a day job, so I
                  should definitely pick this up.

                  The other five shouldn't be hard to find for cheap at abebooks, either.

                  Thanks!

                  >There are other goodies.some good histories of the minors in Spokane,
                  >Halifax, Cleveland and Buffalo. There is also a year by year book about the
                  >Memorial Cup called "The Memorial Cup". On the international front Mancuso
                  >did a great book about the 1972 US team. Tretiak and Salming also wrote good
                  >autobiographies. Our own friend on this list Joe Pelletier has done a nice
                  >volume on the World Cup/Canada Cup. "Red White and Gold" is a good history
                  >of the World Junior championship and a focus ion Team Canada. And of course
                  >"Here Go Vees Go" about the Penticton Vees trip to the worlds in the 50's.
                  >"Big Bucks and Blue Pucks", "Same Game Different Name" and "the Rebel
                  >League" are all fun sagas of the WHA. "Kings of the Ice" is a nice thorough
                  >volume with the bios of nearly 1000 stars fro the early days to now and from
                  >both here and Europe. There is also a encyclopedic volume with verbal bios
                  >on every player to have ever played even a game in the NHL from day one
                  >until its publishing date which is about 5 years ago..

                  Thanks Bill.

                  "The Memorial Cup" sounds like an excellent resource - I would love to see
                  something that chronicles all the tournaments right from the beginning.

                  "Kings of the Ice" is definitely a valuable resource. Saw it at my local library
                  and had to have it. It's on the way to me right now.

                  The bio book you're referring to is "Players: The Ultimate A-Z guide of everyone
                  who has ever played in the NHL", by Andrew Podneiks. It's very rare and out of
                  print. I had to pay $90 to get it and I was a bit disappointed because it
                  doesn't go as in-depth as I'd like and doesn't say a lot about the players'
                  actual skills. But with a book of that scope, how in-depth on each player can
                  you expect them to go, right?
                • canadaonice
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 9, 2008
                    I don't know if it is 'recommended' but my new book has gotten many good reviews. It is
                    titled, "Canada On Ice - The World Hockey Championships, 1920-2008" and provides a
                    general history of the teams that have represented Canada at each world championship
                    event. Included are discussions on the origins of international hockey and the influences
                    of the NHL and NHLPA, the IOC, the LIHG/IIHF and internal practices of the CAHA and
                    Hockey Canada. Also, world historical perspectives are mentioned where relevant (Cold
                    War, the dissolution of the Soviet Union, etc.).

                    The book was self-published in May 2008 and information is available at
                    www.canadaonice.ca.

                    Cheers, Dave

                    --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "William Underwood" <wausport@...> wrote:

                    > There are other goodies.some good histories of the minors in Spokane,
                    > Halifax, Cleveland and Buffalo. There is also a year by year book about the
                    > Memorial Cup called "The Memorial Cup". On the international front Mancuso
                    > did a great book about the 1972 US team. Tretiak and Salming also wrote good
                    > autobiographies. Our own friend on this list Joe Pelletier has done a nice
                    > volume on the World Cup/Canada Cup. "Red White and Gold" is a good history
                    > of the World Junior championship and a focus ion Team Canada. And of course
                    > "Here Go Vees Go" about the Penticton Vees trip to the worlds in the 50's.
                    > "Big Bucks and Blue Pucks", "Same Game Different Name" and "the Rebel
                    > League" are all fun sagas of the WHA. "Kings of the Ice" is a nice thorough
                    > volume with the bios of nearly 1000 stars fro the early days to now and from
                    > both here and Europe. There is also a encyclopedic volume with verbal bios
                    > on every player to have ever played even a game in the NHL from day one
                    > until its publishing date which is about 5 years ago..

                  • James Milks
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 9, 2008
                      Hi,
                      I'm half way through Canada On Ice and am quite enjoying it. So, I recommend
                      it!

                      You may also try to get your hands on some back issues of the SIHR annual
                      journal, which has articles on a wide array of hockey history topics. The
                      SIHR website has articles from 2002 through to 2007 available in PDF format
                      at http://www.sihrhockey.org/public_journals.cfm. Those as well as earlier
                      editions are available in hard copies at the National Library of Canada if
                      you are near Ottawa.

                      James

                      _____

                      --- In hockhist@yahoogroup <mailto:hockhist%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 9, 2008
                        I don't think you'll have to worry about treading over the same
                        ground twice if you pick up "War Games." For one thing, it's not just
                        about Smythe, and it's not just about hockey. It's a social history
                        of Canada's effort in World War II, as well as hockey during that
                        period. It also spends a lot of time on Conn Smythe's relentless
                        attacks on the King government's handling of the war, conscription,
                        and so forth. It's really a multifaceted book.

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 9, 2008
                          >> The bio book you're referring to is "Players: The Ultimate A-Z guide of
                          everyone
                          >> who has ever played in the NHL", by Andrew Podneiks. It's very rare and
                          out of
                          >> print. I had to pay $90 to get it and I was a bit disappointed because

                          Ouch. $5 at the chapters bargain bin a few years back. I have never heard
                          why it was pulled from print.

                          I saw his "Silverware" there last week for the same price but I was too lazy
                          to wait in line...they were all gone when I returned.

                          James

                        • epenaltybox
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 10, 2008
                            One book that doesn't come up in conversation and is a must read is
                            Counsel In The Crease by Robert Swados.

                            This book gives a ton if insight for the 67 and 70 expansions, as
                            well as the need for new arenas in the 90s. Swados was an executive
                            with the Sabres and on the Board of Governors.

                            Morey