1928-29 Toronto goalies - missing minutes, missing goalie stint

  • dsreyn
    Message 1 of 4 , May 5, 2008
      NHL teams played a 44 game schedule in the 1928-29 season. As far as
      I know, tie games resulted in a 10-minute overtime period, with no
      sudden death. As you might expect, cumulative goaltending stats for
      every team in the league average at least 60 minutes played per game -
      with the exception of Toronto. The minutes listed for Toronto goalies
      in Total Hockey (2nd) are:

      Lorne Chabot - 2458
      Benny Grant - 110

      That's a total of 2568 minutes; 44 times 60 is 2640, which is the
      absolute minimum I would expect for any NHL team (the lowest total for
      any other team was 2710 by Boston). So it appears that there are a
      significant number of Toronto goalie minutes that are unaccounted for.

      Another curiosity - the Maple Leafs web site
      (http://cdn.nhl.com/mapleleafs/bc/images/contentdelta/assets/history/all_time_goalie_records.pdf)
      also lists Red Horner as playing goalie for one game in 1928-29,
      presumably while the regular goalie served a penalty. Total Hockey
      only lists Horner as playing goalie once, during the 1931-32 season.
      Obviously, Horner isn't going to account for all of the "missing"
      minutes, but it's another apparent omission in the record.

      Incidentally, the old OttawaValleyOnline site listed Chabot with 2608
      minutes, and also listed an appearance for Horner (2 minutes, 0
      goals). The rest of the Toronto goalies stats (W/L/T, GA, etc.) on
      the site differ a bit from the Total Hockey version, but this suggests
      that at least one source exists that credits Chabot with more minutes,
      and seems to confirm that Horner did in fact appear in net.

      Doug
    • losthockey
      Message 2 of 4 , May 6, 2008
        The SIHR site has Chabot at 2620 and Grant at 130.

        James
      • losthockey
        Message 3 of 4 , May 6, 2008
          Sorry, I glanced at the wrong season...

          SIHR has Chabot at 2458 and Grant at 110 like you said. Sorry I wasted
          everyone's time!

          James
          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "losthockey" <jamesm@...> wrote:

          > The SIHR site has Chabot at 2620 and Grant at 130.
          >
          > James

        • dsreyn
          Message 4 of 4 , May 6, 2008
            Here's a couple of more pieces of information on the 1928-29 Toronto
            goalie situation.

            1) According to the 1928-29 NHL results file available from the Hockey
            Summary Project group, Toronto played 8 overtime games in 1928-29.
            The overtime format in 1928-29 was a 10 minute period with no sudden
            death. So from this, we can determine Toronto's total minutes: 60 x
            (44 games) + 8 x (10 minute OT) = 2720. For what it's worth, the data
            from the OttawaValleyOnline gives a total of 2720 minutes (Chabot -
            2608, Grant - 110, Horner - 2).

            2) The biography for Red Horner at the Legends of Hockey web site
            (http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?mem=p196504&type=Player&page=bio&list=)
            mentions the following:

            "He played in a day when goaltenders served their own penalties and
            himself was called upon twice in his career to defend the Toronto net,
            surrendering one goal in three minutes of play..."

            Total Hockey lists only one appearance in goal for Horner - a 1-minute
            appearance in 1931-32 during which he allowed 1 goal. Although
            Legends doesn't give a date, the quote above lends support to a
            second, 2-minute stint in net.

            Doug