3rd Man In Rule

  • nybos1974
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2008
      Does anyone know what year the 3rd man in rule was created or made
      official? I've seen several websites, including wikipedia, state it
      was 1977 but it must've been before that. I thought it was created in
      response to the Boston Bruins and their style of play around 1970.
      Thanks.

      Jay in Milford
    • Michael Poplawski
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2008
        On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM, nybos1974 <Swanrvr80@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know what year the 3rd man in rule was created or made
        > official? I've seen several websites, including wikipedia, state it
        > was 1977 but it must've been before that. I thought it was created in
        > response to the Boston Bruins and their style of play around 1970.
        > Thanks.

        Wikipedia must have something about the mid-70s Philadelphia Flyers.
        1977 sounds right to me.

        --
        Michael Poplawski
        Victoria, BC Canada
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
          It must've been earlier than 1977 because I know from interviews that
          the Rangers were talking about the 3rd man in rule during the '74
          playoffs, the Schultz/Rolfe fight. Hadfield said he didn't want to
          be the third man in during the Schultz fight, for example.

          Jay

          --- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Poplawski"
          <michael.poplawski@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM, nybos1974 <Swanrvr80@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > Does anyone know what year the 3rd man in rule was created or made
          > > official? I've seen several websites, including wikipedia, state
          it
          > > was 1977 but it must've been before that. I thought it was
          created in
          > > response to the Boston Bruins and their style of play around
          1970.
          > > Thanks.
          >
          > Wikipedia must have something about the mid-70s Philadelphia Flyers.
          > 1977 sounds right to me.
          >
          > --
          > Michael Poplawski
          > Victoria, BC Canada

        • Larry Sekuler
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
            I'm pretty sure the 3rd man in rule came into being for the 1970-71 NHL season.

            Larry Sekuler

          • zpmboca@aol.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
              That sounds about right to me too. 1977 seems too late.

              Z. Peter Mitchell

              I'm pretty sure the 3rd man in rule came into being for the 1970-71 NHL season.

              Larry Sekuler

              >It must've been earlier than 1977 because I know from interviews that
              >the Rangers were talking about the 3rd man in rule during the '74
              >playoffs, the Schultz/Rolfe fight. Hadfield said he didn't want to
              >be the third man in during the Schultz fight, for example.
              >
              >Jay
              >
              >--- In hockhist@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Poplawski"
              ><michael.poplawski@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 5:25 PM, nybos1974 <Swanrvr80@...> wrote:
              >> >

              >> > Does anyone know what year the 3rd man in rule was created or made
              >> > official? I've seen several websites, including wikipedia, state
              >it
              >> > was 1977 but it must've been before that. I thought it was
              >created in
              >> > response to the Boston Bruins and their style of play around
              >1970.
              >> > Thanks.
              >>
              >> Wikipedia must have something about the mid-70s Philadelphia Flyers.
              >> 1977 sounds right to me.
              >>
              >> --
              >> Michael Poplawski
              >> Victoria, BC Canada

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
                The NHL Official Guide and Record Book places it in 1971-72:

                "Third man to enter an altercation assessed an automatic game
                misconduct penalty."

                In the current rule book, Rule 47.16 covers the third man in: "A game
                misconduct penalty, at the discretion of the Referee, shall be
                imposed on any player or goalkeeper who is the first to intervene
                (third man in) in an altercation already in progress except when a
                match penalty is being imposed in the original altercation. This
                penalty is in addition to any other penalties incurred in the same
                incident. This rule also applies to subsequent players or goalkeepers
                who elect to intervene in the same or other altercations during the
                same stoppage of play."

                Those who cite 1977 as the date of the rule change are probably
                confusing the third-man-in rule for the instigator penalty, which was
                introduced in 1976-77:

                "Rule dealing with fighting amended to provide a major and game
                misconduct penalty for any player who is clearly the instigator of a
                fight."

                On 29-Feb-08, at 5:17 AM, nybos1974 wrote:

                > It must've been earlier than 1977 because I know from interviews that
                > the Rangers were talking about the 3rd man in rule during the '74
                > playoffs, the Schultz/Rolfe fight. Hadfield said he didn't want to
                > be the third man in during the Schultz fight, for example.

                --
                Lloyd Davis
                Butterfield 8 Inc.
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
                  In a message dated 2/29/2008 10:37:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                  ldaviseditor@... writes:

                  The NHL Official Guide and Record Book places it in 1971-72:

                  Thanks! That sounds about right.

                  Jay

                  2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)

                • forever1940
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 29, 2008
                    According to the NHL Guide, it was actually for the 1971-72 season.

                    hockhist-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com